GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,322
2 members and 2,320 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 07-27-2012, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I knew this college sounded familiar. These chapters are SMALL. I'm on AOIIs scholarship committee. We just gave our highest scholarship to the chapter president of AOII at Coe. In three years she held every major office and was Panhell President and did so much in her community. Impressive resume that you aren't going to be able to build with big chapters. Yeah, this is not a competitive recruitment campus.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-27-2012, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
#1 Rule for anyone involved in a colonization, ever: YOU DON'T GET TO PICK THE NPC's.

I know that sometimes there is a push for a historically Jewish group, but even then, the applicable groups can say "no thanks" in a quick minutes.
So true. There was a campus recently that only had one group send an interest package, so it was pretty much that group or no group. You can't force an NPC to have interest.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
So true. There was a campus recently that only had one group send an interest package, so it was pretty much that group or no group. You can't force an NPC to have interest.
More than one. I can think of at least two and it was the same group both times. Both campuses were lucky to have them and in one case, the other groups were a little intimidated.

AOII

Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Banned

I find it a little strange that a school would be exploring expansion given the disparity in recruitment number results for this school posted in this past year's recruitment thread.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Over in the KD forum she was talking about KKD. Yeah, I haven't heard of that NPC either.
But that was Rachel Green's sorority.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
I find it a little strange that a school would be exploring expansion given the disparity in recruitment number results for this school posted in this past year's recruitment thread.
That doesn't preclude expansion on any campus (and yes I looked.) New groups often increase interest in Greek Life, but struggling chapters shouldn't be the ONE reason a Greek system uses to decide not to expand.

AOII

Old 07-27-2012, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
But that was Rachel Green's sorority.
THAT's why it sounded familiar! Haha

@~/~~~~
Old 07-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
That doesn't preclude expansion on any campus (and yes I looked.) New groups often increase interest in Greek Life, but struggling chapters shouldn't be the ONE reason a Greek system uses to decide not to expand.
Oh I know. It's that this is such a small campus with such a tiny Greek system. With one chapter significantly struggling like that, I think it would be very difficult to pull it out of that downward spiral once another chapter showed up.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh I know. It's that this is such a small campus with such a tiny Greek system. With one chapter significantly struggling like that, I think it would be very difficult to pull it out of that downward spiral once another chapter showed up.
Maybe, maybe not. But, if a struggling chapter is holding a system back from growing then they shouldn't hold back for fear of that chapter closing. If a lot of girls are going bidless rather than joining a particular chapter, there is a problem. A struggling chapter can be salvaged, but if it can't, it can't. I'm not convinced that adding a group means the end of the lowest group on the totem pole anyway. There always has to be a home for the girls who don't fit with the more popular kids so to speak.

AOII

Old 07-27-2012, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
More than one. I can think of at least two and it was the same group both times. Both campuses were lucky to have them and in one case, the other groups were a little intimidated.
There was also a campus that chose TWO NPC groups for stacked colonies, and the first colonizing group politely declined to formally (IE with a ceremony) colonize after a week of on-campus interviews with students.

As stated by others here, NPC Expansion for any campus is a thoughtful and gradual process.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
There were only numbers for 2 of the three chapters, so I wouldn't automatically assume that one chapter is struggling....it could be that the chapter with the larger class was way under total going into rush and was able to pick up extra girls to get to total. With chapter sizes what they are, that seems the far more likely option.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
There were only numbers for 2 of the three chapters, so I wouldn't automatically assume that one chapter is struggling....it could be that the chapter with the larger class was way under total going into rush and was able to pick up extra girls to get to total. With chapter sizes what they are, that seems the far more likely option.
Looking at the stats on the school's Greek Life page, this is what I had assumed, unless something has changed drastically in the last two years. 2010 stats show everyone more or less equal.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

The Coe Greeklife page has stats for spring '12 and it shows 1 group at 66, one at 56 and one at 31
Old 07-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip86 View Post
The Coe Greeklife page has stats for spring '12 and it shows 1 group at 66, one at 56 and one at 31
Yup. I didn't want to get that specific so I just mentioned the Greekchat posts. Oh well.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:45 AM

Then those numbers on IP's page are hella wrong. At any rate - 31 on a campus where total is 55 is not irredeemably can't recover struggling. Honestly, they could be on top in a year or two. I've seen it happen. 31 on a campus where total is 255 is another matter.

Last edited by 33girl; 07-28-2012 at 11:48 AM.