GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,499
1 members and 1,498 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 06-29-2008, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
Man, you guys are really missing FH, aren't you?
I love whoever hacked it, that site was a bunch of douchebags who try way too hard.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-30-2008, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsmilehawk View Post
Yep, formal recruitment is in June for the boys. I guess the idea behind this is that new members will know which house (if any) they'll be in early on. That way they have time to cancel a contract with the dorms when they get a bid or find housing if recruitment didn't work out.

My understanding is that fraternities are a lot more open to informal rush than sororities. It's a hassle for a lot of people to travel to Lawrence for a few days during recruitment and then make a second trip out for orientation (which also lasts two or three days). I imagine it's tough for many of the houses to make quota with formal.
Don't bring that quota bs in this fraternity rush forum.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yep, formal recruitment is in June for the boys. I guess the idea behind this is that new members will know which house (if any) they'll be in early on. That way they have time to cancel a contract with the dorms when they get a bid or find housing if recruitment didn't work out.
Oh, I get that. Seems like this would be a bummer for guys who are coming from out of state and don't know or are not able to make the events. But, like you said, the guys are better about informal rush, so I guess they can get picked up by houses in the fall.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
ha ha, don't worry, it's not like you have to carry a man-purse now since you read the post.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Formal Rush makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Open Rush on the other hand, makes me want to drive to the nearest lake party.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Why not? I don't know a lot about fraternity rush. Bring me up to speed.

Oh ps, that's a pretty rude way to reply to a completely benign post.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quota is a bunch of BS.

While I understand the reasoning behind it (not that I agree with it), it ends up doing the opposite of what it is intended to do. If you're trying to make all the houses relatively the same size, then put methods in place that do it. As it stands, at schools in which you're allowed to go over total to make quota, the big houses continue to get bigger, and the small houses remain forever small.

There are campuses - Nebraska for sure, I bet there are others - in which you can't go over total no matter what. Each house then has a different "quota", and the top houses are the ones that do the best job of keeping their members involved for all 4 years. They are rewarded with smaller classes which are more exclusive and filled with a much higher percentage of their most highly ranked girls. The houses that can't keep their members involved however still have the chance to start each year at total though, because they can take as many girls as they need to reach that point.

Basically, if you're going to intervene, make sure your intervention works. The way quota works at most schools, it's a completely flawed system.

All that said, I much prefer the fraternity method of not giving a rat's ass about keeping everyone the same size. There's no artificial manipulation of the chapter's rush efforts. Your house puts in the work (both during the school year and during rush) and gets the right guys in the forefront of rush as rush chairs, you'll be able to pick and choose the number and quality of rushees you want.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeta View Post
Quota is a bunch of BS.

While I understand the reasoning behind it (not that I agree with it), it ends up doing the opposite of what it is intended to do. If you're trying to make all the houses relatively the same size, then put methods in place that do it. As it stands, at schools in which you're allowed to go over total to make quota, the big houses continue to get bigger, and the small houses remain forever small.
It's not the system that is flawed - it's the PNMs who refuse to consider anything other than the top 2/3/4 houses, and the people who talk shit about the smaller groups (often for no reason other than they are small) and make girls think "I guess I'd rather be nothing than be this." Oh, and it's also the national offices that award making quota after 4 days of rush, rather than awards for retaining members throughout their college career.

If quota/total wasn't made out to be such a big deal, it would work a hell of a lot better.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Why not? I don't know a lot about fraternity rush. Bring me up to speed.

Oh ps, that's a pretty rude way to reply to a completely benign post.
Fraternities have no quotas. We can take as many, or as little of pledge classes as we want. And I'm sorry if that came off rude, it meant for it to come off in a joking manner, since I assumed everyone here knew that were no quotas for fraternities.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I talked to a fraternity guy at KU who said his house had a quota. The way he described it, it sounded like the quota only applied to that specific house and the other houses had different quotas. So maybe you're kinda right.

It's not like sororities necessarily love quota either... I'd rather take a smaller group than bid a bunch of people who don't fit in for whatever reason and will likely drop anyway.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well I talked to a fraternity guy at KU who said his house had a quota. The way he described it, it sounded like the quota only applied to that specific house and the other houses had different quotas. So maybe you're kinda right.

It's not like sororities necessarily love quota either... I'd rather take a smaller group than bid a bunch of people who don't fit in for whatever reason and will likely drop anyway.
I should thought before I spoke, I totally forgot about one major key component of quotas. The fraternity quota are in essence, rush goals, they aren't binding at all, but bigger fraternities, such as those at SEC institutions have no problems with this, they are solid chapters and HQ won't push them very hard. Where quotas begin to come into play in the fraternal division, is when you have under-performing chapters at universities not really produce a very good Greek Life, the pressure mounts immensely for these group to get the unrealistic numbers their nationals has placed on them.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Where quotas begin to come into play in the fraternal division, is when you have under-performing chapters at universities not really produce a very good Greek Life, the pressure mounts immensely for these group to get the unrealistic numbers their nationals has placed on them.
I didn't think dudes were dumb enough to do this. Or is it just certain national fraternities?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I didn't think dudes were dumb enough to do this. Or is it just certain national fraternities?
i would imagine most have a similar system, its just not as pronounced to outsiders, but i cannot be sure.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I know of one, maybe two, national fraternities that will set 'goals' for their chapters. They look at how many pledges the chapter has had over the last couple of years, the average pledge class of the groups on the campus, and then set a goal for their chapter.

Alpha Beta Fraternity

Alpha chapter at University of Whatever has had an average of 18 pledges for the past 5 fall rushes. The campus average for IFC rush at Whatever is 27. Your goal this year is 22 pledges.

Beta chapter at Whatever State University has only had an average of 9 pledges the past 5 fall rushes. The campus average for IFC rush is 22. Your goal this year is 14 pledges.

I don't know if there is any punishment for not reaching their goal. The one fraternity that I know set goals had the goal and the number of pledges on their website, but it is not there now.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 07-07-2008, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Maybe you said it all, one Fraternity at the KU Campus and not all!

I guess it would depend on which Fraternity you are refering to and how close they are!

If they are a Jewish Fraternity that may be true. But knowing a bit about KU recruitment, over all you are incorrect!

KU has a strong Greek Community with big houses and memberships for most!

But of course in The Major Houses membership counts!

OOPS they have to pay the bills!

LX Z # 1
Alumni