GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,118
0 members and 1,118 guests
No Members online

Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20something View Post
Complete 360??
I was referring to the whole "I will not drink, I will not drink." To, "Oooppps, got a little too drunk last night. Sorry that I threw up at your house."
Old 07-16-2008, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I think you meant a 180 =)
Yeah, that's it. Thanks Jen.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Ha, yeah, 180 for sure.

OK, back to business. I think I'm going to combine Christmas break + first night of recruitment.

So I finished first term freshman year with a 3.924 GPA. I was thrilled because I knew that would be good for recruitment, and I was nowhere near the cutoff that prevented you from rushing.

Over Christmas, my mom and I went out and bought outfits for recruitment. My dad was kind of opposed to me pledging at that point and said I would have to pay my dues myself (he later reneged on this and loved my sorority and said it was a really good decision for me to join). Also, a friend came to visit. 20something Roommate's winter formal date, one of our close guy friends who wanted to pledge MOR/Central, came to visit me. He lived far away but was in my state for the holidays. We went to see Ali, the Will Smith movie, and he spent the night at my place. I realized that although my roommate had been interested in him, we had a lot more chemistry than she and he ever did. Nothing happened at that visit but I was beginning to get really interested in him. It was a bit awkward though, and I realized that at the time, because my ex-boyfriend (the 2-month MOR/Central boyfriend who dumped me for not having sex with him) went to his high school and was pretty much his "in" at MOR/Central.

So I go back a few days early for recruitment so I can attend the final recruitment orientation. It was *so cold* that week and snowing! eep. I remember I went to a local restaurant the night recruitment started with a bunch of the Girls from Across the Street. We talked more openly together than we ever had before about how we all desperately wanted to join Peyton. I felt so warm and fuzzy and had a strong bond with them. One of them, though, did insist that she wanted to join Haley or nothing and we thought that was so weird.

My roommate and I had made a secret pact to join together no matter what. We knew that 20something Hallmate would probably not get Peyton as she had not been to many parties at all first term. We also knew that 20something Floormate was probably less likely than us to get Peyton. So we decided that if we got Peyton and they didn't, we would join. If one of the roommates got cut from Peyton, we would both go Haley.

The plot thickens.....

BRB....

ETA: Actually, I won't BRB because I have some business to attend to that I just got a phone call about. So I'll post about Night 1 tomorrow.

Last edited by 20something; 07-16-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm getting the feeling that you're not going to join Peyton. In fact, I think you're going to join a house you hadn't previously considered AT ALL--a house that has yet to even hit your radar.

Last edited by AlwaysSAI; 07-16-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I am really enjoying this thread!

I'm so excited to read the next installment.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta13Girl View Post
I'm thinking that her and her roommate aren't going to join the same sorority because life is just kind of funny that way. And I always here girls say that just because it's the right sorority for your best friend doesn't mean its the right sorority for you.
I think so too. I think one will get cut from Peyton and the other will have an interesting decision to make despite her love for Peyton.

Last edited by violetpretty; 07-17-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

hmmm....
Old 07-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Banned

You're killing me here! We need more!
________

Last edited by carnation; 08-01-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20something View Post
My roommate and I had made a secret pact to join together no matter what.
*cringing* Terrible idea! I think you'll go Haley, anyway. And I think it's hilarious that roommate ended up marrying a brother of Violently Drunk.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

i
want
more

PLEASE!

Forever and Ever my love goes to Royal Purple and Pure Gold
Old 07-20-2008, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Ehemm.....*cough* *cough*
Old 07-21-2008, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I am starting to get worried about 20something! I hope everything is alright!
Old 07-22-2008, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi all! I'm back in action. Sorry for the delay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchaptergphib View Post
*cringing* Terrible idea! I think you'll go Haley, anyway. And I think it's hilarious that roommate ended up marrying a brother of Violently Drunk.
Well, I later ended dating a member of Violently Drunk for 2 years. So go figure. I had the sense to get out though.

So... rush week starts! I could barely concentrate on the first week of classes! But I should mention one more thing that I believe I should have included in my first post. Sometime before the first night of rush, but after the dinner with the Girls from Across the Street, I found out that my University Big, the Peyton, would not be on campus for recruitment. She had come down with mono over Christmas break and was going to miss the whole first week of school and also recruitment week. This made me a bit nervous because it was basically like my biggest champion in Peyton would not be there during recruitment week... but I thought it would probably be ok. Right? Right??

SOOOOOOO.... night 1 of recruitment. Philanthropy night!

The dress for Philanthropy Night was a pair of casual pants or nice jeans along with a nice but casual top. The idea was that it would be something you'd wear to class, only what people wore to class at my school was usually more dressy that that. Hm. So basically what happened (and this is consistent with what happened when I went through on the other side too), all the PNMs come in wearing nice khakis (almost to a fault), and the sororities wear jeans because Panhel dictates they have to in order to be "casual." As far as tops most girls probably wore a nice dressy sweater because it was so cold that year. I wore a nice pair of khakis (no doubt) with a striped wool mock turtleneck sweater. I still have and love that sweater. It had horizontal stripes of gray, deep purple, and orange. It might sound a little weird but it works well with my coloring. The only thing that was upsetting was that it had snowed over Christmas break and indeed snowed again before the first night of recruitment (the night I went out with the Girls from Across the Street), so Panhel made a decree that everyone HAD to wear sneakers, when before the dictate had been "sneakers or casual flats." (Again, Panhel always forces actives to wear sneakers, but the PNMs usually sneak and wear casual flats, unless it's snowed and Panhel makes the sneaker decree.) I really did not like wearing sneakers with my outfit and felt like my sneakers did not go or match my outfit.

So.... the parties! The first night of recruitment we stuck with our Rho Chi groups, which were basically our halls, which was nice because Roommate and Hallmate came with me everywhere.

1. Peyton. I was so excited to go to Peyton! We entered and the girls were all singing and clapping and going crazy and they led us up the stairs to their dining room. They had removed all the tables and put down clear tarp on the floor. We were making... What the hell were we making? I think we were making quilt squares. This is sad because I know from the rest of my college career that Peyton changed their philanthropy craft every year and I think I'm thinking that they one they did my sophomore year was the one we did for some reason. ACK! I'm getting old. Anyway, we made quilt squares. I was picked up by someone I didn't know, a senior. She was extremely blond and didn't make particularly good conversation. I found that Peyton had a really awkward, obvious method of bumping. They had all the PNMs sitting in circle groups making the craft with their rushers, and then they would flash the lights and all the Peytons would jump up and move to another circle. It was really extremely obvious and particularly awkward since it was my first party of recruitment. On the other hand, I quickly realized that recruitment was a bit of an assembly line, which I think is a good thing to realize early on. I talked to probably 3-4 people. I don't remember how many. I thought it went fairly well.

2. The second party of the night was Nathan. I was picked up here by a girl who was a junior or senior. I quickly realized how intense the Nathans were. They were so proud to be Nathans! They clearly really and truly thought Nathan was the best place to be, period. They were going crazy! I don't even remember how we had time to make a craft because it seemed like all that was happened was the Nathans going crazy and chanting about how much they loved Nathan. I must have met 7-8 people, which at my school is pretty unusual for one night of recruitment. The craft was stamping designs onto baby caps and onesies (aw! I liked this). One thing happened that I didn't know what to make of, was that my rusher introduced me to the president of the chapter. I think somehow we were talking about hometowns and the rusher decided I just HAD to talk to the president of the chapter (who despite being from my town and our grandmothers being friends, I had never met... her family had gone up in the world I think! LOL). The president was really sweet to me and was wearing HUGE Nathan lavaliere earrings. I mean seriously huge; I haven't seen anything like them before or since, she must have special ordered them. I left Nathan feeling really good and overwhelmed by how much the Nathans loved their chapter. I wondered if it was some kind of good thing to be introduced to the President.

3. Next was Lucas. I was REALLY curious to see if Host Lucas (who I still liked) might pick me up. She did not, nor did the Lucas I knew from French class. I got another girl who was probably the most laid back person I had during all of recruitment. She had a sort of snorty laugh. Unlike the first two parties at Peyton and Nathan, the Lucases left their dining room tables out and we made the crafts on the tables. As a PNM, this was probably a slightly more pleasant experience, but it didn't allow the sisters to run around and go crazy like they had at Nathan or to a lesser extent Peyton (well, with Peyton, it was mostly them running between PNM circles). I won't say what the craft was at Lucas because it's a really common craft that's done nationally by Lucas chapters. I did think it was a really cool craft though and I had probably the best results with it of any craft project of the night. I just didn't know what to make of my rusher though. I didn't get much of a vibe from her at all! In retrospect, I'd say she seemed like a bit of a stoner or something. I do remember thinking that the Lucases had the best outfits of the night - a simple polo in their colors. Chapters at my school tended to wear either tshirts or polos in their colors (with the Panhel mandated jeans and sneakers) and I think overall from the PNM perspective the polo chapters looked more put-together than the tshirt chapters. So I left Lucas feeling somewhat bored.

4. Haley. I was getting tired but felt like I would at least see people I knew here. So I was extremely disappointed when I was picked up by someone I didn't know. Similar to Lucas, Haley left out their tables to do the craft project on and you only spoke to one rusher the entire night (although floating people might come and greet you, this happened at both Lucas and Haley). I won't say what Haley's craft was either (it's not a national one but it might be a give-away), but it involved a LOT of painting and was kind of messy, which was problematic. I was speaking to a junior who seemed sort of boring to me. From our conversation, I quickly realized that she was friends with a lot of the Haley members I danced with, yet I had NEVER met her. Didn't she socialize at all or go to fraternity parties? I pondered this in my head. On the other hand, this Haley was going to be the new member educator so she was able to talk about a lot of the events that Haley would be doing with their pledge class. That was pretty cool. Haley also wore polos which was a good thing. I remember looking around here and feeling like some of the other PNMs weren't as bored. From my perspective, I had been to two really high energy parties and then two much lower energy parties, and I was starting to feel drained.

5. Brooke. Again, I had the most negative idea of Brooke going in. I had a junior pick me up here. (In retrospect, I think it's interesting that juniors and seniors picked me up at every house the first night - I hate to say it, but at my school I think you can read a lot from that.) I really hit it off with this junior, though. I felt like of all the conversations I had that night it was the most normalized and just "getting to know you" type of conversation. Looking around at the Brookes though, I was not really sure I wanted to be a part of them. The Brooke craft is a nationally common one too so I'll remain mum on that. The Brookes had removed their tables, but their party still wasn't as high energy as Nathan's had been, or even maybe Peyton's. I mean, they didn't do the awkward bumping thing like Peyton. I think I must have talked to several different people but for some reason I only remember talking to the one girl who picked me up. I really did like her.

We went back to the dorms to discuss and rehash! The next afternoon we would find out where we were invited back; for skit night we could return to a maximum of 4 parties. I would say that my top two after the first night were Nathan (based on how awesome the party was) and Peyton (based on knowing all the girls I knew in Peyton). Then I would have chosen Haley and it would probably have been a tossup between Lucas and Brooke for the bottom places...

Last edited by 20something; 07-22-2008 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Why do I think I know this school and who you are?

Must be deja vu all over again.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay! Recruitment finally started for you! (You know, back then...and in your story)

On a side note, I've started having recruitment dreams even though we're seriously over 2 months away from it. Does anyone else do that?