GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,463
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, RogelioLan
» Online Users: 2,402
4 members and 2,398 guests
amIblue?, oncegreek, robrtospitty274

Old 08-27-2014, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like she's doing great. I look forward to hearing the outcome.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-27-2014, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Best wishes to your daughter!
Old 08-27-2014, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPhiAGinger View Post
Have classes started at TAMU? If so, how do the girls get from campus to the chapter houses? And if they live off campus, is there a place to park? This is one of the few campuses I am familiar with, and I'm puzzled at the mechanics.
Classes have not started but everyone is moved in. The PNM's MUST ride the buses provided by Panhellenic to Sorority Row. The buses run from Olsen Field and the MSC. Most girls that live on campus probably utilize the bus from the MSC. Off campus students can purchase a parking pass for the Olsen lot for $5.00. At the end of each days the women go to the computer center to rank and then they may either walk back to the dorm or buses are provided back to Olsen.

So far it has been a wonderful experience.

There are some photos on facebook on the Texas A & M Panhellenic page.

They also just posted a video with all of the door chants from Open House days.

Last edited by adiisis; 08-27-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added
Old 08-28-2014, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Any updates today? How is her week going?
Old 08-28-2014, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

"There are roughly 1400 PNM's which is a new record for TAMU. TAMU will typically place 75% of the girls that begin the process. Last year only 5 - yes only FIVE girls were dropped from recruitment. The other 250 or so that were not placed withdrew on their own. I believe there was a big sigh in the room when the number five was put out there."

I was one of the parents in the room who sighed with relief when I heard that number. I did not go through rush in college, and now that my daughter is going through recruitment it's all new to me. Honestly, I was relieved to learn that recruitment at A&M isn't as competitive as it can be at some other schools--or, that's what I believed I was hearing. My daughter has been doing great through the process, getting invited back to the max number of parties for day 2 & 3. But a friend of hers got a phone call this morning that she was dropped from recruitment, which makes me sad for the girl because I thought if the girls "maximize their options and keep an open mind" then they will find a place in one of the houses. I guess that was naive since the numbers couldn't really work out (1400 PNMs with only 12 houses) . . . but my daughter says there were several other girls she knows of who got invited back to even less parties than her friend, it seems likely they may have gotten the same phone call today. I understand that getting cut early in the process is part of the risk of going through recruitment; I just wish that risk--even for girls who "maximize their options and keep an open mind"--hadn't been downplayed for these girls, so they don't feel so blindsided.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry for the delay. She has six parties today! She is having an amazing recruitment. I won't say perfect because she has had cuts but not an y she was bothered by. I can say it is great so far.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But a friend of hers got a phone call this morning that she was dropped from recruitment, which makes me sad for the girl because I thought if the girls "maximize their options and keep an open mind" then they will find a place in one of the houses. I guess that was naive since the numbers couldn't really work out (1400 PNMs with only 12 houses) . . . but my daughter says there were several other girls she knows of who got invited back to even less parties than her friend, it seems likely they may have gotten the same phone call today. I understand that getting cut early in the process is part of the risk of going through recruitment; I just wish that risk--even for girls who "maximize their options and keep an open mind"--hadn't been downplayed for these girls, so they don't feel so blindsided.
I'm just wondering if these cuts were upperclassmen or Blinn Team girls?
Old 08-28-2014, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there an upperclass quota at TAMU?
Old 08-28-2014, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiisis View Post
I'm just wondering if these cuts were upperclassmen or Blinn Team girls?
No, she was a freshman and not Blinn Team
Old 08-28-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom4 View Post
"There are roughly 1400 PNM's which is a new record for TAMU. TAMU will typically place 75% of the girls that begin the process. Last year only 5 - yes only FIVE girls were dropped from recruitment. The other 250 or so that were not placed withdrew on their own. I believe there was a big sigh in the room when the number five was put out there."

I was one of the parents in the room who sighed with relief when I heard that number. I did not go through rush in college, and now that my daughter is going through recruitment it's all new to me. Honestly, I was relieved to learn that recruitment at A&M isn't as competitive as it can be at some other schools--or, that's what I believed I was hearing. My daughter has been doing great through the process, getting invited back to the max number of parties for day 2 & 3. But a friend of hers got a phone call this morning that she was dropped from recruitment, which makes me sad for the girl because I thought if the girls "maximize their options and keep an open mind" then they will find a place in one of the houses. I guess that was naive since the numbers couldn't really work out (1400 PNMs with only 12 houses) . . . but my daughter says there were several other girls she knows of who got invited back to even less parties than her friend, it seems likely they may have gotten the same phone call today. I understand that getting cut early in the process is part of the risk of going through recruitment; I just wish that risk--even for girls who "maximize their options and keep an open mind"--hadn't been downplayed for these girls, so they don't feel so blindsided.
This is a true statement but it is missing one key piece of information - the PNM has to HAVE options. If a PNM goes to HER maximum pref parties* and has maximized her options throughout recruitment, she is guaranteed a bid. If she doesn't match the regular way, she will be placed as a quota addition. However, it is still entirely possible for a PNM to have no options. In other words, to have no invitations (to a round before pref). In that case the PNM will not receive a bid at all, unless she is later snapped.

*If the maximum number of pref parties is 2, but a PNM only has 1 invitation, she is still maximizing HER options, and will be guaranteed a bid.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

The number of PNMs participating in recruitment does not negatively impact the number who will receive bids. If 1400 begin recruitment and 1400 make it to pref., then 1400 will be eligible to receive a bid:in other words, if each received and accepted a bid, then there would be 116/117 new members per sorority.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 08-28-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

In the original quote, it said 5 girls got cut completely. While that number is fabulously low, it is no consolation to those 5 girls. I think daughter's friend just found that out the hard way. Best of luck to her -I'm sure that really sucks.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

But a friend of hers got a phone call this morning that she was dropped from recruitment, which makes me sad for the girl because I thought if the girls "maximize their options and keep an open mind" then they will find a place in one of the houses. I guess that was naive since the numbers couldn't really work out (1400 PNMs with only 12 houses) . . . but my daughter says there were several other girls she knows of who got invited back to even less parties than her friend, it seems likely they may have gotten the same phone call today. I understand that getting cut early in the process is part of the risk of going through recruitment; I just wish that risk--even for girls who "maximize their options and keep an open mind"--hadn't been downplayed for these girls, so they don't feel so blindsided.[/QUOTE]

I have to wonder if she had recs for each chapter??
Old 08-28-2014, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Wishing the best of all great experiences and outcomes for all PNM's!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interestedmom View Post
I have to wonder if she had recs for each chapter??
And if she had the grades.

There could definitely be other factors at play that caused her to be dropped early.

@~/~~~~