GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086

Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
The thing with making friends as a grown up is they don't "just happen."
Actually, yes, sometimes they do. My best friend asked one of her coworkers to come meet us for a drink on my birthday one year. Coworker was getting people together to go to the beach. Despite having known her for all of a minute, I said heck yes. She and the other girls who went (and their friends and their boyfriends/hubbies) are now some of my best friends.

You have to be open and take chances and just follow your gut sometimes. It's well worth it.

On a completely unrelated note, these CRAMPS FROM HELL need to go away pretty soon since I have to go to work.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Ladies, I've been in the same boat. I still have my besties from high school and college, but we don't live anywhere near each other and we're lucky if we see each other once or twice a year. It can be rough! The entire time we lived in the Cincinnati area, I had maybe 2 or 3 people I would consider friendly acquaintances or distant friends. Since we've moved closer to the Columbus area, I only keep in touch with one of them via FB.

On the other hand, once my husband became a Columbus Firefighter, we got enveloped into that whole giant family. Tonight, a group of about 10 FF wives and I are going out. I've never even met some of them in person, just a lot of FB talking, but I still feel close to them and we're looking forward to it! Here I am, almost 32 years old, and still figuring out how to make friends. Plus, I've made friends at work and now that we live close enough, we can socialize with them outside work hours. I never had that with any of the 3 companies I worked for in our 8 years in Cincinnati.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Congrats!!

I'm curious, if you don't mind saying -- what is your current citizenship?
LOL, you're fine! I'm Canadian! I moved to the Raleigh, NC area when I was 6 and then lived there until I was 15 when my dad's job moved us to Phoenix, AZ. My family then moved back to Raleigh a few years after that. I've been here in the US for 20 years! I married an American last June and my green card expires this July...so it was just time to finally take the plunge and become a citizen!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

It should be illegal for ABC Family to show Lion King, Blind Side and The Notebook back to back... I'm a hot mess
Old 03-24-2012, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I have messed up big time. The craziness of the last several weeks of school and getting things ready for the bathroom has made me lose my mind. I missed my uncle's surprise birthday party tonight. I got the invitation in February and HID it before they came over to see my Alaskan cousins. I hadn't put it on my gmail calendar yet either. My aunt called tonight to see if we were ok because we didn't show up for the party. I feel awful about it. Apparently I wasn't able to stay on top of things as I'd hoped. *sigh* Bad, bad AGDee

I just went through a huge pile of papers that I knew were things I had to deal with but couldn't deal with when they came. I must deal with all of this stuff this week, but I think that was the only thing in that pile that I really dropped the ball on. I really feel terrible about missing that party
Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaj View Post
It should be illegal for ABC Family to show Lion King, Blind Side and The Notebook back to back... I'm a hot mess

Ditto. Why are they doing this to us?

Also they played The Princess and the Frog earlier today. I really like that movie.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 03-24-2012, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovypq View Post
Congrats, AlwaysSAI!

What I want to say:

Dear mother who just emailed me:

1) Your daughter is in college. Why could she not reply to my email and answer my questions? Why can't you let her handle her own problems?
2) If you're going to write me an email so formal it sounds like a letter from an attorney, at least spell my name right. And don't use a subject in all caps that includes the word "X-COACH."
3) Speaking of "x-coach" - how do you even know I will get this email? I'm technically no longer employed in that job.
4) Your daughter's character was never called into question. Again, I was asking a simple question. All she needed to do was reply and say, "I'm certain I turned that in."
5) You're lucky I'm too professional to reply with a big eff you, which is what your email deserved.

Thanks,
Coach If You're Going to Forget to Use My Married Name, At Least Spell My Maiden Name Right
You can respond with the big F word FERPA!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

There's like nothing to watch on netflix.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
There's plenty to watch!

Old 03-25-2012, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Ditto. Why are they doing this to us?

Also they played The Princess and the Frog earlier today. I really like that movie.
Oh I missed that one. I really like it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
I just noticed they added a few of my all-time favs: The Graduate, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
There's plenty to watch!
Like what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaj View Post

I just noticed they added a few of my all-time favs: The Graduate, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid!
There were a few movies I wanted to see tonight, and one that I wanted to see again, but they aren't listed.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

So apparently, the moral of the story is "Don't study too hard." The exams that I study my arse off for usually are ones on which I do poorly even though I finish quickly and leave the exam room feeling confident. When I just review notes lightly, spend more time mulling over the questions and just trust what I know, I do much better. Studying long periods doesn't mean I remember more--in fact, I seem to retain less and have a harder time with practical application.

Self, please remember this next quarter so you can stress less! Now go celebrate the A on your final.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 03-25-2012, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

YES!!!! I turned both exam papers in on time!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

We sold the car today and found a mover's quote that we can live with. Now we just have to figure out if the boat is going to Long Beach or Miami and we'll be good to go.

I'd ask you for some positive mojo for the interview tomorrow, but Mr. DubaiSis is not at all excited about the specter of Miami so he'd probably appreciate the opposite. I would just like to move with a job on the horizon and I don't care which coast it's on!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 AM

Thank you christian girl and knight_shadow for making me laugh last night when I was super super low. I am so glad to be part of this crazy ass website.