GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,112
3 members and 2,109 guests
John, Low D Flat, zdaidjunioro429

Old 07-25-2022, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Because a lot of colleges don't want to be responsible for locals that haze or don't get insurance. That's why the college where I used to teach made the locals go national.

From what I have seen at several colleges, a lot of locals--I guess due to not having national oversight--do their best to ignore colleges' demands that they cut the crap.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-25-2022, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

The other local at Beloit was a local, then became an NPC chapter and then went back to local. It seems like the type of place where locals may be a better fit. The new local seemed to have a lot of conflict with how things were run when they were NPC. IMO it’s better to just separate if you’re that far apart in ideals with an organization that’s over 100 years old and start your own.

Beloit is an interesting place.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
At Bloomsburg, we have (had) half nationals and half locals. There was always an argument for going local or going national, and honestly, most of the PNMs didn't care. They were more worried about where they fit and if they were in the most popular chapters.

When Bloomsburg got rid of Greeks in 2021, it became open season for all of the locals. There are still around 6 national groups that recognize their chapters at Bloomsburg, even though the school does not. One of the NPC groups had a group of women in their chapter basically say why do we have to follow all these rules if the locals don't, and they broke away from their NPC and formed their own local. Because of the hazing on this campus, this place is a powder keg for the locals. Someone will likely get hurt soon enough, and if it's a local, I can't even imagine what the financial repercussions will be.

Needless to say, all of the groups who had once existed on campus have come back and are now local, and lord only knows what rules they may have. It's the wild wild west for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
While I am certainly not a fan of local sororities (since they often decide that hazing is a good idea), I can see their appeal. I have often questioned the wisdom of a NPC group opening a chapter at a small school where the student body is primarily local and they intend to stay local. Small chapters are difficult because the shared costs are spread to so few members. If the students see no benefit from a nationwide network of alumnae, why pay the costs?
Old 07-25-2022, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Hopefully the new group at Beloit will do things the right way. It seems like their core value is respecting everyone where they’re at in life for exactly who they are…so hopefully they won’t feel the need to create obstacles for their NMs to “prove themselves.”

I’m optimistic about seeing how it works out for this generation with starting sororities based on their own ideals and values. I think it will add a new dimension to GL and maybe fill in a niche for people who wouldn’t otherwise join a sorority. But maybe that’s because my own sorority experience was outside of the ordinary in a lot of ways and it was perfect for me.

I admire them for taking the reigns and trying something new, as opposed to just joining the Abolish GL crew and endlessly complaining about how things are done in organizations they’re no longer even a part of and justifying why GL should not exist at all.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
I finally have internet at home! I'll be updating as much as possible and starting the new year thread sometime in June.

Unfortunately, I was sent a long list of closures:

Alpha Sigma Alpha - Cleveland State University (OH)
)
I just saw this. I thought they were doing well.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 08-10-2022, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Because a lot of colleges don't want to be responsible for locals that haze or don't get insurance. That's why the college where I used to teach made the locals go national.

From what I have seen at several colleges, a lot of locals--I guess due to not having national oversight--do their best to ignore colleges' demands that they cut the crap.
Does Young Harris still have those sketchy locals? I'll never forget that article from a few years ago where the president of the school (who was in one of the sororities) challenged a faculty member to "step outside and fight."
Old 08-10-2022, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes. We are the only NPC at Young Harris.