GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,285
4 members and 1,281 guests
John, PrettyBoy, Xidelt

Old 06-30-2007, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post

and i think that that the sorority member who just got on the shuttle, had just crept into the chief rivals house and destroyed all their props for skit day!
ROTFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Any updates on Laura Ashley Laurel or Iris from back home? Iris was going through recruitment at UCLA right? And about the housing shortage at UMD, it looks like some things NEVER change.
Well, I didn't see "Laura Ashley Laurel" during Rush, but I would definitely see her later.

As for Iris, she was an Aerobics legacy and while it's never a sure thing I was confident that she would pledge that sorority. For some reason though, she decided to wait until her sophomore year to go through Rush. I was disappointed because I wanted the two of us to experience it "together." I'll let you now what happened with her at the end of my story.

Oh, and with housing, one by one the 8 of us got permanent spots but it didn't happen until after Rush. I'll tell you a bit about that too.

I'll be back real soon with more.

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 06-30-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-30-2007, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Invitations Day!

I wasn’t as nervous this day as I had been on the first invitations pick-up. I didn’t know that the harsher cuts would come after Set of 10. I think getting 16 invitations the first time, when I was doubtful that I would get any, had kind of gone to my head.

I picked up my invitations and felt pretty good about them. I had been invited back to 6 sororities for Set of 4 :

Tennis – yay!
Soccer – double yay!
Water Skiing – double yay!
Diving – yay!

I was also invited back to two chapters that I had declined after round 1:

Racecar Driving
Bowling

I had been cut by:

Polo – not surprising
Golf – not surprising
Ice Skating – I was a little sad about this. The smiley girls didn’t like me.

I had no problem choosing four to attend for the next round.

Set of 4 will be posted later on today.

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 06-30-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

its great that you were invited back to 6, and had to narrow it down to 4. can't wait for an update!
Old 06-30-2007, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
I wasn’t as nervous this day as I had been on the first invitations pick-up. I didn’t know that the harsher cuts would come after Set of 10. I think getting 16 invitations the first time, when I was doubtful that I would get any, had kind of gone to my head.

I picked up my invitations and felt pretty good about them. I had been invited back to 6 sororities for Set of 4 :

Tennis – yay!
Soccer – double yay!
Water Skiing – double yay!
Diving – yay!

I was also invited back to two chapters that I had declined after round 1:

Racecar Driving
Bowling

I had been cut by:

Polo – not surprising
Golf – not surprising
Ice Skating – I was a little sad about this. The smiley girls didn’t like me.

I had no problem choosing four to attend for the next round.

Set of 4 will be posted later on today.
Can I take a moment to thank you for the speed of the thread as well as the quality?

Yea!
Old 06-30-2007, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
its great that you were invited back to 6, and had to narrow it down to 4.
Thanks! It really seemed to be going very easily for me. Perhaps, too easily.

AlphaGamUGAAlum, I'm certainly trying to keep it moving along. I just realized that I'm on the 5th day of this story though. I'm gonna speed it up even more. (BTW, I just noticed your signature and I love it. It's "Rush!" Don't get all PC with me.)

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 06-30-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Leslie

I am enjoying this so much....

you really just don't know....

I can't wait for the ending ... *really*

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 06-30-2007, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Set of 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_gwyn View Post

I can't wait for the ending ... *really*
You're so funny, Gwyn.

Set of 4

My notes for this round aren’t very good. I remember it fairly well though. I’ll do my best.

Oh, on a side-note... Back then we didn’t have set parties like “Philanthropy Day” with crafts. Although house tours and skits were generally on the same day, the chapters pretty much did what they wanted.

Diving - I was excited to go here because I had really liked the girls and the general personality of the chapter a lot. This time didn’t go as well for me though. I was matched up with a girl that I just didn’t click with. She was nice but we didn’t have an easy conversation. I think they had a slide show. (I didn’t write the girl’s name down and took very sparse notes.) I remember I left feeling a little down.

Tennis – I was excited about this chapter too. When I first went in I was paired with a girl named Dianne who I liked a lot. (I honestly don’t remember if they did a skit or a slide show or what.) I saw Amy from the first round. She smiled and said that she was glad to see me back again. I really liked this house a lot even though I hadn't made any strong connections. There was just something about it that got to me.

Soccer – I was thrilled to be going back to this chapter! I was paired with a girl named Mindy who I really liked. She was very sweet. They did a skit that was really funny (at least that’s what my notes say). After the skit, Karen (the girl who was being dorky with me and Robin during the first round) joined us and I just felt like these were my long-lost best friends! They were so much fun to be with. Karen and Mindy were both making me laugh. Karen gave me a gentle hug before I left. I so completely loved these girls! I felt such a strong connection to them.

As I stood with the other girls outside the next house waiting for the party to begin I spotted a girl I had seen on the shuttle a few times. We talked for a bit. She lived in one of high-rises too. I liked her immediately. I’ll call her “Innocent Irene.”

Water Skiing – They did a Hawaiian theme for this party. (the others might have had themes too, but I didn’t make a note of it) The girl I was paired with had a very unusual name, for this I’ll just call her “Pickles”. She was tiny and adorable. They did a really cute skit that went along with their Hawaiian theme. Afterwards, Andrea (from Set of 10) came up to me and made a big scene in a joking way and then she said, “Oh! You’re so cute!” and pretended to pinch my cheeks. (I know this sounds strange but it really wasn’t. I could tell it was just her personality, which was very big and animated. It made me laugh.) I saw one of the girls who I met during the first round, Patty, and she was so bubbly and sweet. She said it was nice to have me back. I left feeling wonderful. These girls were so real and so much fun to be around. They made me feel at home even though I was so shy. That was important to me. Andrea had a mothering quality that made me feel like I would be “safe” there.

After the party, “Innocent Irene” and I took the shuttle together and talked a bit about the parties we had attended. We exchanged phone numbers. I was happy to have made my first friend at college.

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 06-30-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

It's been a busy weekend, and I haven't had much time to comment, but I'm giving your thread FIVE STARS!!!

Content - 5
Story telling - 5
Keeping everyone guessing - 5
Graphics - 100

I'm on tenterhooks!!
Old 07-01-2007, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, honeychile!

A Good Night Turns Bad

It had been such a great night. I was feeling really happy. I reluctantly headed back up to the lounge in my dorm.

I was getting to know the girls in the lounge and to appreciate their strange quirks. They were truly the most bizarre group of girls I’ve ever come across. One girl, Annie, was constantly practicing her Chinese. (To this day, I remember how to say, “Hi. How are you?” in Chinese.) Another girl was obsessed with Leif Garrett to the point of following him around the country – with her parents! She also barked in her sleep. Another one (we all knew who but couldn’t prove it) was stealing strange things from everyone’s dressers. There was a quiet girl I barely remember and 2 very loud girls who I ended up going to a Prince concert with in Baltimore. They were always performing for us in the lounge. They liked to sing along into their hairbrushes to “Darling Nikki” complete with falling to the floor and screaming “come back Nikki, come back!” And then there was Teri. I was closest to her even though sometimes I didn’t think too highly of her. (She was engaged and wanted to break it off but was waiting until after Christmas because she knew her fiancé was getting her some nice jewelry.)

For the most part during Rush I would come back to the lounge after the parties and the girls would ask me how it went. I would tell them that it was going fine, but I didn’t go into the details. This night though, I stayed up talking with Teri for a while. I told her about the night I had. I didn’t know what would happen the next day with invitations to Preference but I really had my heart set on two sororities. She asked me which one I liked best and I told her Soccer, with Water Skiing a very close second. She looked at me kind of strangely and said, “I didn’t know you were Jewish.” I said, “I’m not. Why?” and she said, “Soccer’s a Jewish sorority. You can’t join a Jewish sorority if you’re not Jewish!”

“WHAT?!!”

I felt like such an idiot. The conversation quickly ended.

I had trouble sleeping that night thinking about what Teri had said. I thought about Soccer. Okay, I guess the girls I had met were Jewish. I hadn’t really thought about it. I couldn’t believe that I wouldn’t be allowed to join because of my religion. The idea just seemed so archaic. Finally, I decided that Teri couldn’t possibly know what she was talking about. I decided to stop worrying about it and let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 07-01-2007 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post

I was getting to know the girls in the lounge and to appreciate their strange quirks. They were truly the most bizarre group of girls I’ve ever come across. One girl, Annie, was constantly practicing her Chinese. (To this day, I remember how to say, “Hi. How are you?” in Chinese.) Another girl was obsessed with Leif Garrett to the point of following him around the country – with her parents! She also barked in her sleep. Another one (we all knew who but couldn’t prove it) was stealing strange things from everyone’s dressers. There was a quiet girl I barely remember and 2 very loud girls who I ended up going to a Prince concert with in Baltimore. They were always performing for us in the lounge. They liked to sing along into their hairbrushes to “Darling Nikki” complete with falling to the floor and screaming “come back Nikki, come back!” And then there was Teri. I was closest to her even though sometimes I didn’t think too highly of her. (She was engaged and wanted to break it off but was waiting until after Christmas because she knew her fiancé was getting her some nice jewelry.)

I had trouble sleeping that night thinking about what Teri had said. I thought about Soccer. Okay, I guess the girls I had met were Jewish. I hadn’t really thought about it. I couldn’t believe that I wouldn’t be allowed to join because of my religion. The idea just seemed so archaic. Finally, I decided that Teri couldn’t possibly know what she was talking about. I decided to stop worrying about it and let the chips fall where they may.
LOL wow you had some STRANGE dormmates! the descriptions are cracking me up.

And as for Soccer - I hope things turn out ok in the end (but I guess this means Soccer isn't the *one...* Now I'm even more curious!) More, please!
Old 07-01-2007, 06:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
Please, could we have some more?

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida
Old 07-01-2007, 07:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Invitations Day!

I arrived at the Student Union and found that I had two invitations to Preference:

Water-Skiing

and

Soccer

I was thrilled to be going back to my 2 top choices, but I couldn’t help but wonder why Diving and Tennis had cut me. (Isn’t that always the way it is?)

Of course, this is where having a regular Rush Counselor would have been helpful. I thought about going up and asking someone about the situation with Soccer, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I really didn't know anyone and I just felt too stupid. I could have called Suzanne too, but it didn’t occur to me.

Instead, I decided that I would go to both sororities for Preference and just figure it out from there.

*Now, given the information you now have about Soccer, you might think you know the end to my story. But, like I’ve said, there’s a twist coming up…..and, trust me, it’s a doozy!

Old 07-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

oh my gosh!!(said in my best valley girl imitation)

tenterhooks, pins and needles, you name it, we're on 'em!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Eeek...hurry up!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer16 View Post
Eeek...hurry up!
What she said! C'mon, we're dyin' over here!

So what could the upcoming plot twist be? We know where Leslie Anne ultimately ends up, but from the way this story is going that sorority isn't Water-Skiing.

Here are my ideas:

1. Diving and/or Tennis inadvertently cut Leslie Anne, and one or both of them give her last-minute invitations to pref.

2. The mysterious "girl on the shuttle" comes back into play; maybe with a snap bid?

Eagerly awaiting the next installment!