GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,432
2 members and 2,430 guests
Kevin, Xidelt

Old 01-26-2007, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Albany State fraternity wants to ban the "N" word

Albany State fraternity wants to ban the "N" word

January 25, 2007

Albany (GA) - - Former Seinfield star Michael Richards made national headlines last November when he used the "N" word during a comedy routine in Los Angeles.

It re-ignited the debate on whether the word is acceptable under any circumstances. Two African-American magazines, Jet and Ebony, are now banning the word from their publications and now students at Albany State University want to spread the same message on their campus.

In between classes, students shoot the breeze socializing, laughing, talking. Perhaps inadvertently, one word often makes its way out of students' mouths.

"The N word is used a lot, and it's like it bothers me, but I don't see people making a big deal about it," says Freshman Ronald Simmons.

One student organization on campus is making a big deal about it - - members of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity. They're taking a stand on a word that originated as a derogatory expression toward African-Americans.

"Now it seems that were degrading ourselves, so we thought it to be very important that we start looking at ourselves better, and start talking to ourselves in a more mature and respectable manner," says Michael Scott of Alpha Phi Alpha.

They're organizing a campaign to get the whole campus to sign contracts that they will abolish the word form their vocabulary - - even for students who say they use the "N" word as a term of affection.

"I think we've used it as a crutch to make ourselves more comfortable with it, to make it ok but really its not and if you think about it before you say it you really know its not a good word," says Junior Jazzmine Randall.

Organizers say the only way to overcome the obstacle is to bring it to light and then vow to practice what you preach.

"I'm hoping that eyes are opened, minds are opened and that we start seeing the importance of respecting ourselves and treating each other as brothers and sisters," Scott says.

Some students feel it's a step in the right direction. "I don't think its going to happen overnight but it's a start," Simmons says.

A start to a message, these fraternity members, want to catch on nationwide.

Members of the fraternity also plan to wear T-shirts on campus that say abolish the "N" word and focus on being "scholars".
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-26-2007, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

It seems sad to me that a particular group of people have to begin using a derogatory expression in order to make it okay. The N word for blacks, faggot for homosexuals...I think this is an excellent idea.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 01-30-2007, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeay for 1984
Old 01-30-2007, 06:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't agree with abolishing words.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I don't believe words like that are used by a population to make themselves more comfortable with it.

I think it just evolves and becomes part of a group's vernacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post
It seems sad to me that a particular group of people have to begin using a derogatory expression in order to make it okay. The N word for blacks, faggot for homosexuals...I think this is an excellent idea.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Their genre is underwhelming!

The school wants to PC. ???

What idiots! The word with N is in History and their wanting to change is silly!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs down

I actually agree with abolishing the word. If people want to use it among friends in private, fine. The word was never used in my home growing up (and my parents still don't use it). I don't use it and quite frankly, just because I'm Af-American I'm supposed to say it's ok? Don't think so. Re-appropriation is what groups of people do to take something negative, absorb it and try to turn it into something positive. Some things will work, like the mammy image. Black people who know the history, KNOW black women were more than that IMAGE. It's a difficult image but it was easier to turn it around and re-claim it and find strength in knowing the truth, which was not a negative thing. Ni**** has never had a positive connotation. EVER.

It's more that trying to make it okay, it's trying to put a band-aid on a 200 year old wound that no matter how hard we try, (and we do) will never heal.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 01-31-2007 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
I don't understand how you would abolish a word, and enforce it. I also don't understand why blacks use the word to refer to each other, but when a white person says it, its racist and derrogortory(sp?)?

Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
I don't understand how you would abolish a word, and enforce it. I also don't understand why blacks use the word to refer to each other, but when a white person says it, its racist and derrogortory(sp?)?
This article is talking about trying to keep everyone from using the word. The APhiA chapter in question would appear to agree with you that it's not acceptable for black people to say it either.

I second the confusion about enforcement - how do you abolish a word? I can see how you could campaign against a word, discourage it, etc. --- but abolish it? I don't know how that would work, and I don't really even think that it would be a desirable way to approach the problem.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I don't believe words like that are used by a population to make themselves more comfortable with it.

I think it just evolves and becomes part of a group's vernacular.
How would that word just 'evolve' into the vocabulary of black people? One day some white asshole is yelling it at them, the next day they wake up and start referring to each other with the same word?
The same goes for faggot and homosexuals. These words do not evolve...they're adopted into the vernacular of the groups the very word abuses in an attempt to bastardize its meaning to something more acceptable.
Can any African-americans help me out here? Adopt or evolve, how did the dreaded n-word become a part of your everyday vocabulary? (and I mean you in general, not you specifically).

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 02-02-2007, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post
How would that word just 'evolve' into the vocabulary of black people? One day some white asshole is yelling it at them, the next day they wake up and start referring to each other with the same word?
The same goes for faggot and homosexuals. These words do not evolve...they're adopted into the vernacular of the groups the very word abuses in an attempt to bastardize its meaning to something more acceptable.
Can any African-americans help me out here? Adopt or evolve, how did the dreaded n-word become a part of your everyday vocabulary? (and I mean you in general, not you specifically).
I have not yet heard what I consider to be a reliable explanation for how nigger (the bad word) evolved into nigga (the term of endearment).

I do believe that the evolution did occur, but the stories I personally believe could very well be a myth.

However, other words have had similar paths....

Queer.....
Dyke.....
Bitch......

*shrug*

I believe in the power of intent.....if you intend to call me "black" as a negative, I would be more offended by the intent than the word. Same for nigga, queer, bitch, etc.

Last edited by Senusret I; 02-02-2007 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Glaring misspellings.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I have not yet heard what I consider to be a reliable explanation for how nigger (the bad word) evolved into nigga (the term of endearment).

I do believe that the evolution did occur, but the stories I personally believe could very well be a myth.

However, other words have had similar paths....

Queer.....
Dyke.....
Bitch......

*shrug*

I believe in the power of intent.....if you intend to call be "black" as a negative, I would be more offended by the intent than the word. Some for nigga, queer, bitch, etc.
My boyfriend, a linguistics major, is actually taking a class in African-American English this semester. I asked him how the n-word came to be used by A-As (don't mind my abbrev.) and he said he'd look it up tomorrow, so I may or may not have a better explanation tomorrow.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

The biggest misconception about the word is that the use of it among Blacks is something new or limited to recent generations. In reality every generation of Blacks in America have used the word, beginning with enslaved Africans. That's typically what happens when people are forced to learn a language- they use the words taught to them.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

"Gangsta Parties"

Those parties were completey innocent:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="<A href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OGzV0wEJfAQ"></param><param">http://www.youtube.com/v/OGzV0wEJfAQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OGzV0wEJfAQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

SA
Old 02-07-2007, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I believe in the power of intent.....if you intend to call me "black" as a negative, I would be more offended by the intent than the word. Same for nigga, queer, bitch, etc.
It's difficult to prove intent but we can try to assess context and tone.

So I don't want any nonblacks using any derivative of the "N word" around me.

I'll deal with the black people who use that word in a different manner. Groups can use whatever words they want to around each other. It isn't the role of outsiders to judge that and wonder why they can't do the same. I used to hate hearing whites say "but why can't WE say it?" Why do you want to say it? Does it kill you not to be able to? I only tolerate nonblack linguists saying it for educational purposes and even these linguists need not get too comfortable and say it too often.