GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,520
0 members and 2,520 guests
No Members online

Old 02-04-2015, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. I didn't think grammar and punctuation would matter on an online Greek forum lol. Maybe you shouldn't take yourself so seriously.

Anyway I do not think I need to get my priorities in order based on the information I had before this post. I was told by my friend in a fraternity at my school that there's chapter meetings once a week and sometimes events.

I do not know how it's like to have a child or if it could be managed. That's why I made this post. My thoughts were maybe someone has had a child here as well and would be able to give me their opinion. They did! So I don't think inquiring about this would make me not prioritized.

Maybe even the opposite since I wanted to make sure I would be able to manage before just jumping in.

Thank you for the kind replies. For the others, your grammar may be on point but your reasoning skills are poor.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-04-2015, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let View Post
Wow. I didn't think grammar and punctuation would matter on an online Greek forum lol. Maybe you shouldn't take yourself so seriously.

Anyway I do not think I need to get my priorities in order based on the information I had before this post. I was told by my friend in a fraternity at my school that there's chapter meetings once a week and sometimes events.

I do not know how it's like to have a child or if it could be managed. That's why I made this post. My thoughts were maybe someone has had a child here as well and would be able to give me their opinion. They did! So I don't think inquiring about this would make me not prioritized.

Maybe even the opposite since I wanted to make sure I would be able to manage before just jumping in.

Thank you for the kind replies. For the others, your grammar may be on point but your reasoning skills are poor.
I have a suggestion. See how things play out after the baby comes. You may feel completely differently when you hold that newborn in your arms.

And I do think you would benefit from reviewing what you write before you hit "post" or "send" or "submit". We are all prone to writing (or typing) grammatical errors. And if we rely on spell check or autocorrect, that can lead to all sorts of problems. Using a phone creates even more complications. Example: what you wrote that I just quoted has several mistakes, suggesting carelessness on the part of the author.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:17 PM

It amazes me how people say "it's just online, why should I bother with correct grammar?"

......and then use Wikipedia as a scholarly source.

When all anyone has to go on is your written word, carelessness with it will leave the impression that you are a careless person overall.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Banned

OP, something to keep in mind as you go about your business. You came here. Greekchat didn't seek you. You want to be in a GLO. A GLO isn't pursuing you. In other words, you are the initiator in all of this. You are also the nonGreek-with-a-baby-on-the-way in all of this. Be careful not to get snippy with people from whom you seek advice, membership in their GLO, and possibly even a huge favor (such as benefit of doubt). Get over yourself and good luck.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let View Post
I was told by my friend in a fraternity at my school that there's chapter meetings once a week and sometimes events.
That's generally true as far as it goes, but based on my experience and observations, it doesn't got far enough. Those may be the "official" must-attend things, but there are likely other, more informal get-togethers And activities that matter as much if not more than meetings and official events, because they are where bonds of brotherhood are really built. And then there's the significant work that has to be done by members between meetings to keep the chapter running smoothly.

Let, I can understand the desire to have as normal a student life as you can and not miss out on opportunities that you may never have again. I can also understand the desire not to have life be nothing but school and parenthood—everyone needs to take a break from time to time and have outlets.

At this stage, here's the advice I have: If you and your SO decide together (and it should be something you decide together) that the benefits of fraternity membership are worth the time and energy away from her and the baby while you're a student, then just be sure you also discuss how she will also have regular time for herself. And as AZTheta said, do not be surprised if once the baby comes, you feel quite differently about how you want to spend time that you're not in class or studying.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Spend the time with the baby and on your relationship

Spend the time that you would have spent on a fraternity with your baby and girlfriend (making an assumption that she is your girlfriend). You will never get that time back. If you and the mother are together, focus on making it a lasting, permanent relationship--it will make your life less stressful and chaotic if you can stay together.

Sorry that you were offended by others correcting your grammar, but remember your audience when you are addressing anyone. You came here to ask advice, why wouldn't you want to present yourself in the best way possible? We're not your best friends and this isn't text messaging. A stronger level of formality is appropriate.

There's my motherly advice for the day!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

From your posts, I can assure you that my reasoning is far superior to yours. The questionable judgment and poor grammar (continuing in your second post) suggest that you are neither a strong student nor prospective parent. Good luck to you on your journey on the road to adulthood.

Last edited by pinksequins; 02-04-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
From your posts, I can assure you that my reasoning is far superior to yours. The questionable judgment and poor grammar (continuing in your second post) suggest that you are neither a strong student nor prospective parent. Good luck to you on your journey on the road to adulthood.
Sheesh!

I completely agree with what others have said about how one writes, even in an online forum, to ask a question like the OP did contributes to readers' favorable or unfavorable perceptions of the questioner. But really, you know nothing about the OP other than what you've gleaned from 3 or so posts, which may or may not be a reliable indicator of his abilities as a student or parent. With no other evidence to go on, his posts suggest nothing other than some carelessness in writing a few posts and uncertainty about what might and might not be doable after parenthood.

Poorly written posts can create a less than favorable impression. Ditto unnecessarily judgmental posts.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:51 PM
Banned

We know nothing about his grades and potential parenting.

Since the OP is already an adult, may I ask what pinksequins means by "good luck to you on your journey on the road to adulthood"?
Old 02-04-2015, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

He may chronologically be an adult, but his posts and responses about priorities do not indicate the maturity ond judgment for patenting. He responded poorly to the suggsstion by another poster that he think through his priorities. There is quite a learning curve in front of him.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
He may chronologically be an adult, but his posts and responses about priorities do not indicate the maturity ond judgment for patenting. He responded poorly to the suggsstion by another poster that he think through his priorities. There is quite a learning curve in front of him.
You have no clue what what learning curve is in front of him. Gathering information to make a decision about time commitments, which is what his "poor response" said he'd been doing, sounds like someone having at least some handle on things to me.

Meanwhile, I think you've lost the right to assume you know anything about how strong a student he is based on his writing.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
You have no clue what what learning curve is in front of him. Gathering information to make a decision about time commitments, which is what his "poor response" said he'd been doing, sounds like someone having at least some handle on things to me.

Meanwhile, I think you've lost the right to assume you know anything about how strong a student he is based on his writing.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Banned

LOL. I thought that was intentional irony to drive home the point.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

As a fraternity man and father, I would suggest the OP follow mystic's sage advice and react accordingly.

As a non-parent myself I am continually amazed at how few parents completely lose their minds from raising children. I personally wouldn't take on one more responsibility for at least the next 3 or 4 years and make sure your relationship with your mother is stellar so that hopefully she will be part of the team. It really does take a village and a bunch of drunk 18 year olds are NOT going to be in that village.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
As a fraternity man and father, I would suggest the OP follow mystic's sage advice and react accordingly.
DubaiSis... have you switched teams on us?