GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,402
3 members and 2,399 guests
MethrenLusia, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 06-28-2006, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emme
Hey guys!! Late but hope you guys can help! I am a sophomore (well until fall I can get the credit to be viewed as a sophomore) But my first year I did horrible, I went into with a different major choice. But my gpa now is 2.3 and hopefully it will go up to at least 2.5. I knew gpa was a requirement but I didnt know how competitive. Scared now? Def! ADPI has the highest gpa with 3.1 which is VERY competitive and ADPI is one of my top choices. My chances of getting into my top choices scares me very much now
Most sororities have GPA requirements that are above 2.3. I don't know if any sororities at UCF have requirements of 2.3 or below. The ones that have higher requirements will automatically cut you.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-28-2006, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

And may I add another piece of advice regarding grades?

I've taught college-level courses for a number of years and over & over I see the same problem and I give the same advice. If you find yourself in trouble (big or small, one assignment or the whole course), talk to your instructor as soon as possible. Do not wait until you are drowning to yell for the life raft. Most professors are willing to give you assistance if you ask. Most are not willing to overlook a failing grade when you come to their offices crying on the last day of the term. Too many students think that problems will solve themselves or their issue is too insignificant to bother the prof. Unfortunately, little problems compound themselves because the work-load doesn't stop just because you got a little behind. Speak up!

Be a Volunteer!
Old 06-28-2006, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey girls! Well thanks for the constructive criticism, as much as it hurts it is the truth. I think Im just going to sit it out like adpiucf said all those girls have wonderful personalities and have the credentials to be there. My semester I started off as a Forensic Science major and my mind and heart were not there so it really tarnished me. I feel bad since my grades have never been so bad. If I could turn back time I would have rushed my freshman year with so much credentials and a 3.8 GPA. But I cant so maybe next year Ill do it. This year Ill just volunteer and do stuff at UCF. Thanks a lot girls!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to fifi225
Quote:
Originally Posted by emme
Hey girls! Well thanks for the constructive criticism, as much as it hurts it is the truth. I think Im just going to sit it out like adpiucf said all those girls have wonderful personalities and have the credentials to be there. My semester I started off as a Forensic Science major and my mind and heart were not there so it really tarnished me. I feel bad since my grades have never been so bad. If I could turn back time I would have rushed my freshman year with so much credentials and a 3.8 GPA. But I cant so maybe next year Ill do it. This year Ill just volunteer and do stuff at UCF. Thanks a lot girls!!!
Ah. The forensic science major. I TAed for bio I this past spring and at LEAST 30 people in that class changed their major from forensic science that semester (1st) alone. Forget about getting up to organic II.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

work real hard on your grades emme-you sound smart, so i bet you can do it!! best of luck this year in school and be sure to give recruitment a try next year after your gpa improves!! volunteering and getting involved on campus(but not so involved that it cuts into your study time) are a good part of your plan.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Forensics is really hard!!! And UCF is the only program in the state.

One of my alpha class sisters started out in that major... and ended up transferring into a communications degree! Talk about a switch!

Good luck, Emme! Pull those grades up and go get 'em! There are plenty of opportunities for great upperclassmen in UCF Greek Life and I hope you'll hang around GC!
Old 07-06-2006, 04:04 AM
GreekChat Member

most sororities you need a 3.0 as an incoming freshman.
no lower than a 2.8 as an enrolled student.

of course if you are valuable in other areas sororities usually take on a couple girls as grade risks. but know that the first round is when they cut for grade risks and questionable reputations.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, most likely. Heavy cuts are done the first day, and grades are looked at then.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

In some cases, if you have a rec, it will get you through the first cuts. But the grade issue is likely to come up again. If you've gotten to round 2 with your rec, you've had a chance to meet more chapter members and it is possible that they may take you as a grade risk. This is the exception and not the rule. There are so many women at these recruitments and cuts come so quickly that often in the early rounds, so mostly at that point you are being cut mainly for grades. If you've wowed em in round 1 or round 2, they may overlook your grades because you have something else wonderful to bring to the table.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfpnm
so if they're going to cut you for grades, they'll do it on the first day?
It depends on if your grades are below the minimum or not. If they're not stellar but aren't below minimum, it would play against you but would depend on other factors as well. If they're below minimum, then I would imagine they'd have to cut you.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

There are some groups that do not have national GPA cutoffs. While Alpha Phi does not have a chapter at UCF, I think it is relevant to point out that at a national level our GPA requirement is that our chapters meet or exceed the all women's average. Individual chapters within Alpha Phi do have recruitment GPAs that they've established, which they use for recruitment.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

GPA beyond rush

I understand the concern about meeting GPA requirements for rush, but squeaking by shouldn't be the goal during undergrad years. I found out the hard way. I am trying to change careers, and going back to school. Every grad school wants all transcripts, from every school. I went to a junior college, did a poor job of balancing academics and life outside of class when I transferred to a college, and squeaked by most of the time with Cs.
I didn't settle down until I really got a handle on what I wanted to do (when I grew up, I guess). Many grad schools want a 3.0, some a 2.75. That is to be considered, then comes recommedations, essays, and some want good GRE scores.
I am responsible for my grades, not the sorority, or whatever. I needed to say no louder when demands on my time took me away from the books and also wasn't great then with time management. I'd love to pay a few schools not to send transcripts, but it doesn't work that way.
Grad school wasn't even on my radar during my party hardy days. I am taking classes to make up grades.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

i know ADPi at USF has a 3.14 GPA to join requirement. im not sure if that means u have to have a 3.14 at the time of rush or by the time u are initiated. i hope it is the latter because i really like USF's ADPi chapter but my GPA right now is a 3.09
Old 08-01-2006, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle555
i know ADPi at USF has a 3.14 GPA to join requirement. im not sure if that means u have to have a 3.14 at the time of rush or by the time u are initiated.
This usually means a 3.14 by the time of rush. Most sororities require that a PNM have a certain GPA in order to receive a bid.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-01-2006 at 01:07 AM.