GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 1,538
1 members and 1,537 guests
Sen's Revenge
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
The Dr. Phil Memorial Library is open. (c) Sen's Revenge.
It came from love. I swear it did.

I forgot to mention that it has not been that many years since racial and ethnic minorities in the U.S.A. have been allowed to use the same water fountains, restrooms, and doors as whites. So, pardon us if we agree that membership selection for private organizations is rightfully selective but we know this extends far beyond that when addressing the exclusivity of predominantly white organizations.

"...I said, hell...."

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-11-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
It's not a question of legal - it's a question of morally right. It's a question of whether or not you are in fact the organization that your creed/symphony/etc. says you are. You can do what you want - but you must realize that you do not exist on an island. Your actions can and do reflect on your membership. Another hard, cold fact is in the case of these sororities your actions reflect on greekdom as a whole. We are all being tarred with the same brush - and in 2013 I would hope the argument would not be "But it's legal!".
QFT. Well said.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I desperately was trying to avoid a reply...but I clearly have failed. "A free country" sounds good. The issue is that there is people that has set out to purposely discriminate against a group of people. These people go against the belief system of the sororities these women represent. That's a problem to me. Saying that someone should just accept the cards they were dealt in game that's been rigged is allowing the discrimination to continue. Private entities or not, discrimination should not be accepted. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeguy View Post
Ok, Honestly, I wish in the history of America slavery never happened, I wish that the "genocide" of the native Americans and all the other ethnical atrocities never happened, but sadly, they did and we need to hope that they never happen again.
Why do some people feel that any racial topic discussed somehow relates back to slavery or genocide? This is 2013, and right now, two qualified young ladies were denied entry into sororities based on the color of their skin. Lets work on the present racial issues and keep it relevant.

Sorry for the rant and tone. It's just frustrating. I get annoyed with stories like this. It's tiring to have people dislike/discriminate you and they don't even know you.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
It's tiring to have people dislike/discriminate you and they don't even know you.
QF freaking T. It's literally emotionally draining. Some people just don't understand and that will always frustrate me.
When you decide to GO GREEK
!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I agree with you. I've avoided ever telling this story, because it's somewhat related to membership selection, but it's historical and it seems like the right time to tell it now. We had some random alumnae (not advisors) show up to recruitment (ACC school) 30 years ago, because they'd heard from some fraternity alumnae friends that we were recruiting our second African-American member, and they wanted to advise us that this "wouldn't look good." I stood up and said something like, "this is the 1980s, I'll resign if we vote against this girl," etc. I want to tell you, this was a tough thing for me to stand up and say, and I was really counting on my sisters to be with me, because I did not want to have to follow through on that "threat." Our African-American sister didn't speak up, and I didn't know what she was feeling or thinking. One of the alumnae said, "Welcome to the south, honey." Seriously...racist, and cliche!! The PNM declined our bid. Our African-American sister became chapter president the next year.

These weren't active alumnae, and and our alumnae didn't hold any sway, but I would imagine it's a different story within the fraternity/sorority culture at UA. As younger women get feistier, things should change.

I can't imagine what that took for you to do that...much admiration...just so I am clear, the chapter voted to offer a bid to the AA PNM but she declined it? Good for your chapter to have a AA sister as your Pres.

I saw a picture of some of the new pledges from last week at my chapter and I was SP proud to see there were two black women, an Asian women and two other women that appeared to be ethnic but I couldn't tell for sure. Busting with pride for my young SK sisters.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder1965 View Post
I saw a picture of some of the new pledges from last week at my chapter and I was SP proud to see there were two black women, an Asian women and two other women who appeared to be a racial and ethnic minority but I couldn't tell for sure. Busting with pride for my young SK sisters.
Fixed that for you. Everyone in this thread is "ethnic," meaning has an ethnicity.

(Everyone in the world also has a "color" which is why I hate it when I hear the phrase "...people of color...")

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-11-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, it's pretty sad something like this would happen now. But I guess it's not too unexpected.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I just wonder how the black PNM's are feeling. There was two of them and anyone who went through recruitment would probably know who they are and even though their names are never mentioned, they're all over sites like TFM, Jezebel, Greekchat and Buzzfeed and i'm sure it won't be difficult to identify them.

I just wanna give them a big Panhellenic hug
!

Last edited by WestcoastWonder; 09-11-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Back in 1991, there is no way in hell I would've gotten in to any NPC chapter...I was considering LSU and a few other southern school.....hell I barely survived rush at ASU (Arizona)....mind you this was during the time of the MLK controversy....so you 'youngins have had it easy!

The edit button has become my new best friend

Last edited by ms_gwyn; 09-12-2013 at 01:19 AM. Reason: year correction
Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestcoastWonder View Post
There's the power phrase in the post. My opinion. I never claimed to know the details of each orgs membership process, nor do I really care since it has nothing to do with me. My opinion on the matter was just that I don't like the idea of that happening. But at the end of the day all 26 NPCs will still have their own policies on MS and i'm acknowledging that fact. That is all.
#confused. "power phrase"?

It has nothing to do with you; then you don't have a dog in this fight; you're not NPC?

regardless, the caution about repeating gossip stands. That is all. Finished.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-11-2013, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder1965 View Post
I can't imagine what that took for you to do that...much admiration...just so I am clear, the chapter voted to offer a bid to the AA PNM but she declined it? Good for your chapter to have a AA sister as your Pres.

I saw a picture of some of the new pledges from last week at my chapter and I was SP proud to see there were two black women, an Asian women and two other women that appeared to be ethnic but I couldn't tell for sure. Busting with pride for my young SK sisters.
Yes, she declined the bid. It really bothered me, because I suspected that she knew about what happened.

Our AA member was a HUGE deal on campus...she was president of the student government association/senate the year before she was chapter president. Our chapter had quite a diverse membership, but it was reflective of the upper-middle class suburbs around Washington, DC, and that's where most of our members were from.

I'm not in favor of NPC groups recruiting for diversity for the sake of diversity, or tokenism. It's appropriate that the door be open for any woman who thinks a NPC group would be the right fit for her, and to not discriminate. One of my best friends joined Gamma Phi Beta as an AI. I sponsored her, and she was initiated at Convention. She's AA, and Gamma Phi Beta happened to be the right fit for her.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
#confused. "power phrase"?

It has nothing to do with you; then you don't have a dog in this fight; you're not NPC?

regardless, the caution about repeating gossip stands. That is all. Finished.

Why do I feel like you always ask me if i'm NPC or bring something along the lines of that up anytime we cross paths or don't share an opinion on a thread. It's almost like your way of reprimanding me is asking me that....
!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just wonder how the black PNM's are feeling. There was two of them and anyone who went through recruitment would probably know who they are and even though their names are never mentioned, they're all over sites like TFM, Jezebel, Greekchat and Buzzfeed and i'm sure it won't be difficult to identify them.

I just wanna give them a big Panhellenic hug

YES!!!!! Me too.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Wow, according to Jezebel, the first and only black woman to get a bid at Bama rushed in 2003 and got a bid from GPhi after they were threatened by that group called the Machine to give a black girl a bid?

I'm confused....
Here is supposedly what happened: The Machine was sick of hearing about integrating the Greek system, so they ordered G Phi B (who is supposedly a lower tier group there) to take one for the team and bid the black girl. Then they could say "look! We're integrated!" without any harm coming to the "upper tier" or "Old Row" groups.

Hope that clears up your confusion.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Fixed that for you. Everyone in this thread is "ethnic," meaning has an ethnicity.

(Everyone in the world also has a "color" which is why I hate it when I hear the phrase "...people of color...")

Understand...thanks...hopefully everyone knew what I was trying to say which was trying to show another example of a PNC chapter that did pledge women of color and it was just fine with everyone.