GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,566
0 members and 1,566 guests
No Members online

Old 03-05-2011, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

sorority life

I'm thinking of rushing for a sorority in FIU in the fall. obviously thats a couple of months away but I want to make sure what i'm going to do so I don't waste my time. Other than school, I have nothing else going on i'm pretty much free always. I heard sorority girls party alot and im really not into that so im scared I wont fit in. I just want to know what obligations do you have being in a sorority? for example are chapter meetings mandatory and if you miss one what happens? do you have to go to all the parties and activities? I live a bit far from school and don't have a car and since most things are at night I have no way of getting to and from them. Any other things you want to add are welcome
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-05-2011, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalacutie View Post
I'm thinking of rushing for a sorority in FIU in the fall. obviously thats a couple of months away but I want to make sure what i'm going to do so I don't waste my time. Other than school, I have nothing else going on i'm pretty much free always. I heard sorority girls party alot and im really not into that so im scared I wont fit in. I just want to know what obligations do you have being in a sorority? for example are chapter meetings mandatory and if you miss one what happens? do you have to go to all the parties and activities? I live a bit far from school and don't have a car and since most things are at night I have no way of getting to and from them. Any other things you want to add are welcome
Just go to the information meeting(s), and (based on that) go through recruitment. Don't base your opinions on rumors and what others tell you and instead go meet the women involved and have THEM tell you what the requirements and rules are.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Not every person in a sorority loves to party alllllll the time. You'll find that sorority women have a variety of interests besides that. Just as there will be women who enjoy going to parties, there will be plenty who don't.

Obligations vary by chapter. Generally, there is a chapter meeting once a week, and the NMs will have a weekly NM meeting that you're expected to attend. There will be other things depending on the chapter and school, obviously. What is mandatory will vary by chapter.

Every chapter has a different policy for missing events as well.

Where I went to school, there were sorority members who didn't have cars, and they were still expected to attend things.

Ask your friends in sororities, if you have any. They're a good source of info about all of your questions, since we don't go to FIU.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-05-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I live a bit far from school and don't have a car and since most things are at night I have no way of getting to and from them.
Then you probably shouldn't rush. Not only will you miss mandatory activities, you'll miss "unofficial" just hanging-out time. How do you get to school now if you live that far away (I'm assuming you mean 10+ miles) and don't have a car?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Then you probably shouldn't rush. Not only will you miss mandatory activities, you'll miss "unofficial" just hanging-out time. How do you get to school now if you live that far away (I'm assuming you mean 10+ miles) and don't have a car?
Agreed. Almost all activities are in the evenings at most schools because classes are during the day. You wouldn't be able to participate in much of anything.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:28 PM

Also, do you have evening classes? Most people will have at least one at some point in college. How do you get to those?

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i take the bus :/
only problem is taking it at night..a little dangerous
Old 03-05-2011, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually dangerous or just ~scary~
Old 03-06-2011, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Pepper spray is your friend, against both dangerous people and really dull food.

Chances are, you'll never need to use it.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

lol well I live in miami...so its all more dangerous. i'm sure i'll find someone to give me rides
Old 03-06-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
lol well I live in miami...so its all more dangerous. i'm sure i'll find someone to give me rides
No. It doesn't work that way.

Unless you have a GUARANTEE that you will have a way to get back and forth to required meetings and activities, and be prompt when you do, you are wasting your time and everyone else's time by rushing. Not to mention that being the girl constantly asking for rides will get hella old hella quick.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
lol well I live in miami...so its all more dangerous.
Actually, I make the comment living in Berkeley, CA and often going to the bordering cities of Richmond and Oakland. Both places have crime rates that are higher than that in Miami in both property and violent crime. However, in the big picture, they're similar.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No. It doesn't work that way.

Unless you have a GUARANTEE that you will have a way to get back and forth to required meetings and activities, and be prompt when you do, you are wasting your time and everyone else's time by rushing. Not to mention that being the girl constantly asking for rides will get hella old hella quick.
I have a friend in a sorority in my same situation. and idk how people are up north or where ever you live but they arent as rude down here
Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 PM

Meh. I don't know about it being rude, per se. The transportation situation is different depending on the school.

Ex: My alma mater is in a college-y town. Everyone either lives on campus or 5/10 minutes off campus in an apt/house. It was no big deal for girls to carpool/ask for rides just because most of the time, the person you're picking up isn't out of your way.

It may be different at other schools. If you live somewhere that's further away from campus, it may be hard for people to get to you, that's all.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have a friend in a sorority in my same situation. and idk how people are up north or where ever you live but they arent as rude down here
And yet you asked us, instead of your 'friend.'

Also they may not be rude, but apparently riding the bus at night = death.