GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,337
0 members and 2,337 guests
No Members online

Old 09-17-2009, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

nervous pnm....

Hi! I have a question regarding sophomore rush. Im going to keep my story as short as possible but if you have any questions I am happy to share more details.

Last year I rushed as a Freshman and I was on top of the world. I loved every second of rush and got exactly what i wanted until bid night. I got my second choice. Not a bad house but def not what I wanted. I did not accept the bid and only went into that house on bid night. There were some shady encounters in that house such as member asking me about my virginity and weather i smoked or drank ( this was right after bid night!!!)

I was beyond upset and counldnt understand why I didnt get into the house I really wanted. Many of the girls from that house reachecd out to me and I met up and talked with them They said they didnt know what happened it was a mistake etc etc.

I spoke to my greek advisor on campus and tried to get out of the bid to the house i got so that i cuold potentially rish in the winter. That did not work.

So here I am now. I feel that I want to rush again because being in a sorotity is something I really want to do. I moved on with my life i now live off camous with friends and got involved in other ways but being Greek is something i want to do! Is it really that easy to walk back in and just go through recruitmnet again? Im nervous of what people truly know about my situation or maybe they dont even care?

The Greek system at my school is not very large. There are only 8 houses and really if youre not Greek it dosent matter. I just need some advice!! I feel like I should jsut go for it because you only live once, but at the same time im nervous! Also it will be werid to have my friends and every i know who rushed last year rush me.

ANy advice would be appreciated
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

it will be easy to have your friends rush you-you can more easily be yourself with your friends and they can be your advocate during voting.

go for it.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by live&letlive26 View Post
Hi! I have a question regarding sophomore rush. Im going to keep my story as short as possible but if you have any questions I am happy to share more details.

Last year I rushed as a Freshman and I was on top of the world. I loved every second of rush and got exactly what i wanted until bid night. I got my second choice. Not a bad house but def not what I wanted. I did not accept the bid and only went into that house on bid night. There were some shady encounters in that house such as member asking me about my virginity and weather i smoked or drank ( this was right after bid night!!!)

I was beyond upset and counldnt understand why I didnt get into the house I really wanted. Many of the girls from that house reachecd out to me and I met up and talked with them They said they didnt know what happened it was a mistake etc etc.

I spoke to my greek advisor on campus and tried to get out of the bid to the house i got so that i cuold potentially rish in the winter. That did not work.

So here I am now. I feel that I want to rush again because being in a sorotity is something I really want to do. I moved on with my life i now live off camous with friends and got involved in other ways but being Greek is something i want to do! Is it really that easy to walk back in and just go through recruitmnet again? Im nervous of what people truly know about my situation or maybe they dont even care?

The Greek system at my school is not very large. There are only 8 houses and really if youre not Greek it dosent matter. I just need some advice!! I feel like I should jsut go for it because you only live once, but at the same time im nervous! Also it will be werid to have my friends and every i know who rushed last year rush me.

ANy advice would be appreciated
Just a note: I wouldn't go into recruitment thinking that you are guaranteed to get into your first choice or anything like that.

Not saying that this is what you're thinking, but I know alot of times, PNMs will re-rush thinking that their friends can "get them into" the chapter they originally wanted and that doesn't always happen.

It's important to be open-minded to the different chapters during formal because you never know which ones will/won't ask you back.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-17-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like you really want to try for it one more time. I think you should BUT should be aware that rushing as a sophomore (depending on the campus) can be more difficult. As stated above, there is no guarantee that you will get your first choice this time. True, last year's disappointment could have been a fluke, but it could happen again.

Take some time to read the advice given on here for sophomores. Be honest with yourself and determine if you are going back through for XYZ only, or you really just want to be Greek. If it is for XYZ only, that is fine, as long as you realize it may not work out. If you want to be Greek, accept the fact that your choices may be limited this year.

Don't live with regrets, go for it once more, just go with your eyes and heart wide open to the variety of outcomes.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks for your advice! Thats the thing though I think last year when i rushed I feel in love with my first choice and closed my eyes to any other house. I in NO WAY think that my friends will get me into a certain house. To be honest the house I loved last year im not even sure its for me anymore! I feel that I am a completely different person this year and I am much more confidnet in myself. If i got through rush it will not be with the intention of getting into that one house & i really hope the girls in that house dont think that. I just hope that people will understand and not write me off because of what i went through last year.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I would let it be known that you loved rush last year, had a great time, met a lot of great girls, but just felt overwhelmed by the end. Your goal is you want to be Greek and belong to a sorority and you are going into it this year with that mindset. you are starting over from scratch.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I have two hypothetical questions:

1. What if you go through this whole thing again and wind up with a bid to the exact same house? (Unlikely, after you rejected them last year, but still....)

2. What if you get a bid from a different house and get asked about your sexual habits, smoking, drinking, etc from your new sisters right after bid day?
Old 09-20-2009, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to point out that crass women are in every sorority. Just because someone in a sorority asks you if you are a virgin and talks about drinking doesn't mean that everyone in the chapter (or the person asking for that matter) is a whore or that they expect all the new members to be loose. There are usually a few women in every group who are a little wilder than most, say things that make some sisters cringe and others downright embarrassed, but they like the holy rollers who study all night and never go out for four years in college are the exception not the rule.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:57 PM

Didn't we have this thread before with someone freaked out about the "partiers" on bid day? Where is Punxsatawney Phil?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

welll Im not sure if anyone cares because apparently people think im a prude nerd... but I ended up rushing & getting my top choice last year!! the girls from that house coulndt have been nicer and let me know from the start they wanted me in the house and that they would be sure what happened to me last year would not happen again. I am so happy to finally be a member of this house on my campus and am SO SO SO glad i did not join the other last year.

I understand that there are crass women in every house. My only problem with that house was that they made it seem like they had so much class and after recruitment was over that all flew out the window.

Frankly I am applled by some of the women's comments above me, but would also like to thank those of you who were understanding and actually offered good and genuine advice.

Last edited by live&letlive26; 10-19-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! It's rare to see someone drop out and get a "better" result the next time, but I'm really happy for you!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartmouthPanhel View Post
Congratulations! It's rare to see someone drop out and get a "better" result the next time, but I'm really happy for you!
seems to be a trend on GC this year, though! First StrawberryGloss and now this lady!

Congrats