GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,300
1 members and 1,299 guests
No Members online

Old 09-07-2018, 07:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity Thesis Survey

Hey guys,

I’m currently doing my thesis on fraternities and I only need about 20 more people to do it.

It only takes literally 3-4 mins so I’d be really appreciative if a few of you could do it.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MS6NSDN

Thanks a mill!

Let me know what you think in the comments too.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:33 AM

This kind of thing isn’t really going to work unless you use a random sample, which this site is not. But I took the survey and voted against all your theories so thanks for playing
Old 09-07-2018, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

What's a "fraternity campus"? Do you mean house? This is a "I hate fraternities" survey.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs down

I have written and read a lot of research and that had to be the most biased survey I've ever seen.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I’ll be honest, if I were one of your professors and I saw how leading those questions were toward a certain end result, I’d throw the whole thing out and make you pick another topic for your thesis, because clearly you have certain feelings toward the subject already and won’t be able to overcome them to present a balanced picture of reality.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I clicked on the link, saw how leading and biased the questions were, and closed out the site.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

The title itself and the first couple of questions were bad enough, but then I got to "There is too much drink involved in fraternity houses" and realized this was pretty pointless.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Hole. Lee. Chit.

In addition to the bias, the "estimate" questions with limited choices? The "these things" with no antecedent reference? The sophomoric writing style?

This is NOT graduate research. You might fool yourself; you might submit it for some fly-by-night online "pay your money, submit your essay, get your diploma" school, but it is not graduate research.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I recall that you said in your other post that you are from Ireland - welcome to Greekchat! I'm not sure what you are doing this research for - is it for school, college or uni? Respectfully, this cannot possibly be for a postgraduate thesis. I'm assuming this is for a school or sixth form assignment. Unfortunately, you have not identified yourself nor have you told us the name of your educational institution, which would be standard for a legitimate study.

As others have pointed out, your research methods are not sound - the questions are not appropriately structured and your participant sample is not random. Clearly the survey questions were not received well and have caused a little bit of offense.

We do not mind at all sharing our American culture with others. We occasionally receive inquiries from students (mostly from the UK) who ask about our sorority and fraternity system. Several of us have studied at university in the UK and Ireland (I attended the University of Bristol!) and understand some of the curiosities about our culture.

If you gave us more information about who you are and what you are trying to do, perhaps we could help you approach this assignment from a better angle.

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 09-07-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I must say that I agree with navane.

Welcome, but we have found surveys about Greek Social Organizations can and will become slanted.

By slanted I mean, yes, there is booze, sexual abuse, drugs, and all kinds of so called violations of life styles. It is a micro state of life?

If one looks at the true percentages of normal life, it is really small in percentages! But being Greeks, we are under the Microscope of life and the world!

So, I guess we have to be better and above board more so than we have to be!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
I clicked on the link, saw how leading and biased the questions were, and closed out the site.
Ditto
Old 09-07-2018, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone with an educational background in research, I cannot support your methods. I would suggest overhauling the format and seeking out advice from your faculty advisor or whoever serves in that capacity for this project.

Once you have a non-biased survey, I still would not suggest using this site, as we are a Greek forum and would be pro-Greek in our answers. You need to use a truly random sampling method to have accurate results.

To Bind, To Strive, To Aid