GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,483
1 members and 2,482 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

What goes around will come around.

Why are you being so harsh to innocent girls on an internet forum? I'm not a fake person. Sometimes new people don't know the in & outs or the right buttons to push on a massive website like this. I hope you have the heart to realize that I just suffered a tremendous loss & was hoping for positive encouragement & advice from LADIES who are members of social organizations whose main focus is usually charitable.

I read the article for new members. I looked at the title of the posts on the first page. I am not Re-Rushing. I am completely new to the game as an upperclassman. At the time there were no visible posts that corresponded with my confusion. Many people do not know that you can rush as an upperclassman, especially when all that they are exposed to are huge state schools that take a loss when they choose a sophomore over a freshman.

If I offended you, caused you any personal harm, stress, or inconvenience then from the bottom of my heart I am truly sorry.

I hope you someday learn the value of treating others the way you wish to be treated.

Your comments were hurtful. I do not expect an apology. I do not expect you to understand, and that's fine. I can only hope that you will agree to disagree with me and stop referring to me/insulting me/degrading potential new members who are a little lost and confused. Being rude and being honest are worlds apart; Guidance and Judgment are worlds apart as well.

If you are the member of an organization, I hope you learn to be a rolemodel to potential new members instead of judging them from the start. Putting out negative energy & hostility will never win you anyone's respect.

Truthfully, and with the best intentions,
HEJ
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-16-2005, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: What goes around will come around.

Quote:
Originally posted by daisy625
Why are you being so harsh to innocent girls on an internet forum? I'm not a fake person. Sometimes new people don't know the in & outs or the right buttons to push on a massive website like this. I hope you have the heart to realize that I just suffered a tremendous loss & was hoping for positive encouragement & advice from LADIES who are members of social organizations whose main focus is usually charitable.

I read the article for new members. I looked at the title of the posts on the first page. I am not Re-Rushing. I am completely new to the game as an upperclassman. At the time there were no visible posts that corresponded with my confusion. Many people do not know that you can rush as an upperclassman, especially when all that they are exposed to are huge state schools that take a loss when they choose a sophomore over a freshman.

If I offended you, caused you any personal harm, stress, or inconvenience then from the bottom of my heart I am truly sorry.

I hope you someday learn the value of treating others the way you wish to be treated.

Your comments were hurtful. I do not expect an apology. I do not expect you to understand, and that's fine. I can only hope that you will agree to disagree with me and stop referring to me/insulting me/degrading potential new members who are a little lost and confused. Being rude and being honest are worlds apart; Guidance and Judgment are worlds apart as well.

If you are the member of an organization, I hope you learn to be a rolemodel to potential new members instead of judging them from the start. Putting out negative energy & hostility will never win you anyone's respect.

HEJ
Well said.

ALPHASIGMAPHI
Est. Yale 1845

Last edited by Alpha Sig Scott; 09-16-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

HEJ

Be happy that you are getting a response. Over in the NPHC forums all posted questions about membership and how to join are usually given a nice 'Ask someone in your area', then the post is immediately closed and/or deleted.

Please understand no one is being harsh. Being harsh is ignoring your question. Many of these people are trying to give you and others in your similar situation *honest advice* based on their experience on both sides of the fence (PNM to member). It is much better to let you (the general you) know all of the possibilites that could happen, than to just say 'Oh go for it!!' Each school is different. At some schools rushing three times may work, at others you are just putting yourself in more misery.

As one poster said in one of these threads, it is best to ask those sorority members at YOUR SCHOOL. They can give you better advice than people who really don't know you or your situation.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

why is this argument being continued in this thread? The other thread was locked for a reason.

And sigmadiva, well said.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^^^^

Thank you.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh, my dear, but she IS a member of a GLO. The reason she doesn't put her letters in her signature is so that she can make questionable statements in GC. She knows that she shouldn't talk the way she is talking "with her letters on" as it would reflect poorly on her organization. Instead, she feels free to just generally make Greeks look bad. I won't name her organization because I have respect for it. But, you could easily figure it out if you really wanted to. She's a moderator of her GLO's forum.

Believe me Daisy, there are plenty of Greeks who genuinely want to be helpful. Despite all the mud-slinging. There was some good advice in there and I hope you could see it even though your feelings were understandibly hurt.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
You couldn't just flush guys?

At my school, during fall fraternity rush, if a chapter wasn't going to extend a bid to a particular rushee, someone (usually the rush chair or president) would take him aside and say something like, "We don't think you'd fit in with our chapter." No excuses, no beating around the bush, just a straightforward statement.

This was as much for the rushee's good as the chapter's - with 25+ fraternities and only about 24 waking hours between the start of rush and the time fraternities could start offering bids, a rushee wouldn't want to waste his time at a fraternity he's not going to be invited to join.

The trouble with excuses is that sometimes they don't get through, whereas a straightforward statement usually does.
We only did that on one occasion I can remember; it may have happened a couple of more times, but by and large the kid went entirely through rush and we made decisions at that time. However, I think it's a solid idea to let the kid know as early in the process as possible.

I think there's been tendancy on this board to be way too accomodating to rushees and PNM's. Not everyone is going to find a home, and that's the truth. Some schools have harsh recruitments. Not everyone will walk away from the process happy.

Personally, I think 99 times out of 100 you shouldn't re-rush the same org. I also think you need to assess the Greek system at your own school to see whether you should re-rush at all. If you're a junior or a senior, at some schools you're going to have a very tough time getting a bid; plain and simple, some orgs at some schools want to focus on underclassmen (and women). Again, it varies by school, but your chances as a junior or senior are much smaller than as a freshman or sophomore.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
OK, guys, back to the original topic. I think a person shouldn't re-rush if they were cut before from either all the houses or the ones they were just dead-set on, and they had a really hard time dealing with it. Why put yourself through it again?
Old 09-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

And now I think we'll close this thread for awhile!
Closed Thread