GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Delta Pi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,140
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zolivilittlez29
» Online Users: 859
4 members and 855 guests
Cookiez17, Mooch279

Old 06-10-2012, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

REALLY HOPING TO GET HELP ON THIS, LET ME KNOW IF YOU KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO! Thanks!!

Hi Greeks and Sisters!! I need help with something I'm really confused about and thought I'd post on here and see if anyone could help me!

I accepted my bid from ADPi this past fall (2011) in late September, and ended up having to leave school suddenly for medical reasons right before I was able to initiate. I have made the decision to not return to the university I attended last fall, and am transferring to another school that also has an ADPi chapter. I truly would LOVE to stay a part of ADPi at my new school and join a new chapter of sisters, however I obviously need to decide if this new chapter is a good fit for me first, but I'm not sure how this whole process works. I know I have a contract with the sorority that I cannot go through recruitment for any other sorority for one calander year, however even if I chose to, my new school's recruitment is much earlier than my old school's was, so my year contract will not have expired.

I was curious if there was a certain way this situation is handled? I know initiated members can join chapters at other schools without much of an issue, but what about Alphas? I know this is a very rare circumstance, so I don't know who would know the answer to this, but I'm trying to figure out what to do!

Honestly, I do NOT intend on joining a sorority if this new ADPi chapter does not work out for me. I committed myself to ADPi when I accepted my bid and have no interest in trying to dedicate myself to any other sorority even if I could, not that I wouldnt love another sorority, its just that I wouldnt feel right doing that. I just don't know how to handle the process at all. I also do not know who to contact at my new school regarding this situation and am so confused!

If ANYONE can help me out, I'd be so thankful! Thank you!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-10-2012, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekozel View Post
Hi Greeks and Sisters!! I need help with something I'm really confused about and thought I'd post on here and see if anyone could help me!

I accepted my bid from ADPi this past fall (2011) in late September, and ended up having to leave school suddenly for medical reasons right before I was able to initiate. I have made the decision to not return to the university I attended last fall, and am transferring to another school that also has an ADPi chapter. I truly would LOVE to stay a part of ADPi at my new school and join a new chapter of sisters, however I obviously need to decide if this new chapter is a good fit for me first, but I'm not sure how this whole process works. I know I have a contract with the sorority that I cannot go through recruitment for any other sorority for one calander year, however even if I chose to, my new school's recruitment is much earlier than my old school's was, so my year contract will not have expired.

I was curious if there was a certain way this situation is handled? I know initiated members can join chapters at other schools without much of an issue, but what about Alphas? I know this is a very rare circumstance, so I don't know who would know the answer to this, but I'm trying to figure out what to do!

Honestly, I do NOT intend on joining a sorority if this new ADPi chapter does not work out for me. I committed myself to ADPi when I accepted my bid and have no interest in trying to dedicate myself to any other sorority even if I could, not that I wouldnt love another sorority, its just that I wouldnt feel right doing that. I just don't know how to handle the process at all. I also do not know who to contact at my new school regarding this situation and am so confused!

QFP, just in case its ....her.....
Old 06-10-2012, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekozel View Post

I cannot speak for ADPi and their ideas on this. As an initiated member of another NPC sorority, I admire your dedication to ADPi. It is wonderful to actually see someone make a decision and stick with it. With that in mind, I would like you to know that chapters and especially personalities can change vastly from school to school. If there are 150+ members this may not be as important, but please realize that because ADPi was amazing and a perfect fit at School 1, it may be a complete 180 degree at School 2. Please realize that although you accepted your bid, you are able to look at other chapters at your new school. There may be another chapter at your new school that fits you better.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 06-10-2012, 11:14 PM

You didn't initiate. Your year is up, plus you are transferring. You are no longer a part of ADPi, at any chapter. You owe them nothing, and they owe you nothing.

Also, the one year rule doesn't mean a calendar year, it's the spirit of a calendar year. If at School #1 your rush was from August 11-18 and you received your bid on the 18th, it doesn't mean that you are not allowed to rush and hopefully receive a bid at School #2, if their rush is September 20-27 and you receive a bid on the 27th. You can rush at School #2 with no problem. I advise you to do so without any feelings of "loyalty" or "commitment" that simply do not exist. Go into rush at your new school with a completely open mind.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
When you transfer to a new school, your pledge to any NPC chapter is broken and you are free to go thru recruitment at any time at your new school. Neither you or the NPC group is bound to the commitment. The 1 year restriction only applies to going thru recruitment at your original school.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
When you transfer to a new school before initiating into an NPC chapter, your pledge to any NPC chapter is broken and you are free to go thru recruitment at any time at your new school. Neither you or the NPC group is bound to the commitment. The 1 year restriction only applies to going thru recruitment at your original school.
CYP
Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

You can re-rush with no problems. It is the next year now AND you are going to a different school anyway which voids that original commitment. Hopefully you have some contacts from your old chapter who can write you a recommendation and/or letter of support. You'll definitely want the new chapter to understand your situation, and not that you just dropped out and now you want another shot. I would not go in with too many expectations and I would consider keeping an open mind about the other sororities on your new campus. It's nice that you felt this great bond with ADPi, but it would be a shame for you to miss out on that lifelong sisterhood just because you got very sick a year ago.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You didn't initiate. Your year is up, plus you are transferring. You are no longer a part of ADPi, at any chapter. You owe them nothing, and they owe you nothing.
This. I certainly don't mean to be rude, but unless ADPi follows a different rule than we do, she isn't an ADPi NM anymore.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you mention being "committed to ADPi."

I'd hate for you to be thinking you're an ADPi when you are not.

Or that ADPi is obligated to bid you. They aren't.

It's also potentially offensive to a chapter member for someone to walk into recruitment and be all "I pledged ADPi at another school, I'm meant to be ADPi and I love ADPi just like you."

Also, it's not a matter of "If I don't get a bid, I'll just stay ADPi" or "I couldn't bring myself to be in anything other than ADPi" because you're not one to begin with. Whether you rush or not, you're still not one. You did not initiate and you depledged almost a year ago. It's really important for you to understand that.

I'd hate for you to have that attitude and really creep out an ACTUAL initiated ADPi.

This is not me saying that ADPi at your new school wouldn't extend you a bid. Just clarifying what depledging means.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

ekozel, our Panhellenic Sisters have given you good advice. In my heart, I hope that you DO love the ADPi chapter at your new university, and you DO get a bid - but it's not a given by any means. You should treat this just as you did last year, only I would contact at least one of the Alumnae Advisors and get a rec. Hopefully, she will say that you are a rock star, and that it would be a treat to have you as a New Member!

That said, according to the NPC, you're no longer an ADPi New Member, and your one year is over, just as the ladies above said. You will be treated just like the other PNMs. I'm not sure if you should immediatelyl tell the new ADPi sisters about the last college, but it will come up at some point.

Again, be sure that you get a rec from an Advisor or even someone in an Executive Office at the last school. The new ADPi will want to know that you were a great New Member until you got sick.

Good luck, however it works out, and please come back and let us know how it did work for you!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Ditto to everything Honeychile and my Panhellenic sisters have said.

I too would encourage you to go through recruitment at your new school. Chapter personalities vary from school to school. To be honest, while you loved ADPi at school 1, you might not like them at all at school 2 (which is completely fine, I promise you aren't going to hurt our feelings for not liking them).

Your biggest hurdle is you have to go into recruitment with AN OPEN MIND. If you have this "I'm holding out for ADPi" mentality at the back of your mind, you will most likely end up disappointed.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt