GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,564
1 members and 1,563 guests
naraht

Old 02-05-2013, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face Does anyone keep their sorority/fraternity sticker on their car after graduating?

I graduated college in December. My parents got me a new car as a graduation present. Would it make me look like I am trying too hard if I put a sorority sticker on my car since I already graduated? I was extremely involved in my sorority, and I was even an officer. I graduated a semester early, so my pledge class still is in school. At what point is it no longer cool to have your sorority sticker on your car? I have already joined the alumni association for my sorority in my area, so I am still active within the Greek community and whatnot. I just started graduate school at the university where I got my undergrad, so I am still hanging out with all the same friends, for one more semester at least!
(Most people that I have asked about this have said that basically the day they graduated, their Greek stickers came off their car, but that just seems sad to me.)
I still wear my sorority t-shirts to the gym and whatnot. Is this really the only acceptable way for me to keep parading my letters?

I guess I would feel different if I was still driving my old car. I wouldn't take off the decal. I just am unsure since it is a new car. The girl working in the store where I bought the decal looked at me like I was crazy when I bought it because she and I graduated together. She was an XO and already took her sticker off her car!!

Last edited by amorescaso; 02-05-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Adding more detail.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I still have a sticker on my car after being out for almost 4 years, although that's partially because I'm too lazy to scrape it off. It probably depends on where you are in the country. It may be seen as weird in the northeast or west coast, not so much in the south.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Acceptable to who?

I've been out of school for some time, but still display my Greek letters and alma mater's logo from time to time. I couldn't care less if someone had something to say about how I choose to display my letters because, well, I'm grown.

Do whatever you want to do. They're YOUR letters on YOUR car.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

It's fine if you're a recent grad or a super involved alumna. It starts being weird when it starts feeling weird to YOU.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:32 PM

I can beat AngePhiSig! lol I have been out of school for (mumble mumble) years and I still have letters in my back window.

I'm still a DZ; I'm just an alum as opposed to a collegian.

Around here, it is really common to see cars sporting HBGLO license plates, plate holders or window decals and I think it's great that they still show off their letters after graduation. I wish I saw more of that in the NPC/IFC world!
Old 02-05-2013, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a Fiji advisor and have been for over 20 years. While I don't have our crest or FIJI letters in my back window (we are limited to where we can use our Greeks) I do have a replica of our badge: a small, simple black diamond bordered in gold with a white star in the middle. It does not say Phi Gamma Delta or Fiji, but for those who know, it identifies me as a brother.

I like it that our headquarters came up with this because while it works for any age, it definitely is a little more age-appropriate for a graduate brother. I just bought a new vehicle and--yes--it has a black diamond decal in the lower back window!
Old 02-05-2013, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been an alumnus for almost 30 years now, and I have a coat of arms decal on my rear window.

At least around here, I rarely see (non-NPHC) alumni/ae with letters on their cars unless it's the car they had when they were in school. But seeing coat of arms decals on the cars of alums isn't that unusual. And there is one car I see periodically with an SAE flag decal; the driver clearly is not a student anymore. I've also seen the FIJI decal PS-GRAD describes. (Very cool.)

But why should it be viewed any differently from decals, license plate frames or whatever of your alma mater?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Several members of my alumnae chapter have letter stickers on their cars. I like it, because when I’m attending an event I know I’m in the right place if I see some Chi Omega cars in the parking lot!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been out of school for many more years than I care to count, but I have a nice set of letters all ready for my next car:

Greek Chrome Letters

You just have to remember that when you are sporting your letters, you better drive nice!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post

But why should it be viewed any differently from decals, license plate frames or whatever of your alma mater?
Because many non-Greeks don't view Greek Life as respectable and we all are aware of that perception.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I only recently added a small crest decal to my car after almost 15 years of being an alum. Now that I'm an advisor and active alum, I wanted to display my involvement. The decal is simple, with no letters, but as PGD-GRAD said, those in the "know"...
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
It's fine if you're a recent grad or a super involved alumna. It starts being weird when it starts feeling weird to YOU.
Once in Florida, I saw this giant land yacht cruising down U.S Highway 7 in Sebring. The driver was a wee little lady of later years who could barely see over the steering wheel. Her license plate holder said Alpha Delta Pi, and her front plate also said Alpha Delta Pi. It warmed the cockles of my heart You'll find me doing the same if I make it that far,
Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPi95 View Post
I only recently added a small crest decal to my car after almost 15 years of being an alum. Now that I'm an advisor and active alum, I wanted to display my involvement. The decal is simple, with no letters, but as PGD-GRAD said, those in the "know"...
Where did you get the crest? When I get my next car, I'm looking to downgrade from letters to something more mature--was thinking about a diamond, a pi symbol, or a crest, but I can't find the crest!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:08 PM

Let's just say I pledged decades ago and I've got an AOII Alumna decal on my vehicle.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I used to have AGD as part of my state-issued license plate until I decided I didn't want to keep paying an extra $35 or whatever a year.

So, now I have white letters window decal and a small beany baby squirrel (who is getting sun-lightened!) I keep in the back window.