GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,874
1 members and 1,873 guests
Cookiez17

Old 10-14-2015, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

It is true that Sig Ep and Alpha Phi are on a very strict probation during the investigation. I heard that the Alpha Phi's are not allowed to gather even for Monday night dinner. Sadly, I have also heard (through a young alumni rumor mill) that several brand new members have dropped out. I also heard that members are still fearful to wear their letters around campus and the neighborhood because of the perception that they are "the racist sorority". I do have close ties with this chapter and from what I am hearing it is a pretty grim situation for this Alpha Phi chapter. UCLA has such a strong and active greek community, and Alpha Phi has always been a super strong chapter. This party was the very first mixer that the chapter had post recruitment! Naturally the new members and their parents have been stunned by the attention in the media and on campus. And the older members are heartbroken and frustrated.

Last edited by BlueOwl; 10-14-2015 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-14-2015, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I can confirm what Blue Owl wrote above. It's horrible that new members have dropped out. Recruitment ended less than 2 weeks ago and Alpha Phi is a very SRC.

Series of unfortunate events happening. First, the Pi Phi's tragic death. Then, the fraternity-sorority mixer with protests on campus. Tuesday, 1 block from campus, there was what police initially thought was a hostage situation at the apartment complex near the Target store in Westwood. It turned out an armed man had barricaded himself in an apartment, but there were police, SWAT teams, and blocked streets for several hours.
And it was the NEW apartment building for a couple of former roommates of the Pi Phi who was killed last month.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the pic, Nanners. That's definitely not blackface. It's a lot less offensive than if they would have dressed as the actual kind of gold diggers kanye is talking about in the song.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Thanks for the pic, Nanners. That's definitely not blackface. It's a lot less offensive than if they would have dressed as the actual kind of gold diggers kanye is talking about in the song.
Exactly. I honestly thought it was a cute idea and a fun play on words.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Sig Ep and Alpha Phi are under social suspension (no social activities while UCLA is investigating).

2 Washington Post articles relating to this matter.

The last line in this article is my favorite:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...western-party/

This WP article is written by a UCLA Law grad. Too much law-speak for me to understand, but I think it states that the social suspension of both groups while the investigation is going on, is unconstitutional. (Kevin -- can you "translate"?)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...orority-party/
Translation: If these students and organizations want to sue the school, they are probably going to win. Last year, you may recall the University of Oklahoma expelling a few students and kicking SAE off of campus due to some racist basement songs. There was a consensus then that the school was not in their rights, but took a calculated risk, which in the end, may end up costing the university.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...he-university/

The fact is that schools are going to keep doing this until we fight back. Here's hoping these groups do not buckle to the university's bullying tactics and file suit. Schools don't have the legal power to punish this kind of speech, so they shouldn't even be suspending anyone pending an investigation.

That said, if the organizations' national HQs decide that this conduct is not represenative of their ideals, as private organizations, they can do whatever they want.

ETA: I really would encourage national organizations to push back on these issues. Protect your own spheres of influence. Act because that's what your values require, not because you are bending to the bullying of the host institution. Defend some of these actions on sheer principle. If a chapter holds an event where blackface is used, try a membership review instead of shuttering the chapter. Boot the idiots who don't uphold your values, but still give some value to the efforts of the hundreds of alumni/ae before them and the time, treasure and talent expended to achieve and maintain what that chapter was able to accomplish prior to some unfortunate incident. If the school punishes the chapter, haul their asses into court. You won't have a problem finding lawyers since in these cases, the school is going to be on the hook for attorney fees.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 10-15-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, the grievance industry's main recruits are in academia...
Old 10-15-2015, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Sadly, the girls probably thought they were being so pc by NOT going with the obvious stereotypes based on the song. I hope they can recover from this quickly. Black face would be unforgivably stupid, but this wasn't at all that (at least based on the one picture shown) and I think the girls probably even discussed how not to be offensive when they came up with this idea.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

The fact is that schools are going to keep doing this until we fight back. Here's hoping these groups do not buckle to the university's bullying tactics and file suit. Schools don't have the legal power to punish this kind of speech, so they shouldn't even be suspending anyone pending an investigation.
I actually agree with this. I think everyone has the right to show how classless, tasteless, and racially insensitive they can behave.

Nothing says NPC / IFC/ NIC like white kids mocking the cultures of others in the name of fun.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
I actually agree with this. I think everyone has the right to show how classless, tasteless, and racially insensitive they can behave.
Right, let them be protested, let the newspaper publish editorials, publish their photos, let these things be published in social media and people be held up to public ridicule for any stupidity.

The line is drawn at government intervention. It's a clear line. Schools should know better.

Quote:
Nothing says NPC / IFC/ NIC like white kids mocking the cultures of others in the name of fun.
Damn.. you actually said something somewhat insightful and civil and then this turd of a comment. What a dipshit thing to say.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Right, let them be protested, let the newspaper publish editorials, publish their photos, let these things be published in social media and people be held up to public ridicule for any stupidity.

The line is drawn at government intervention. It's a clear line. Schools should know better.

Damn.. you actually said something somewhat insightful and civil and then this turd of a comment. What a dipshit thing to say.
What a dipshit thing to do to mock cultural norms of those not like you because you think it is a joke.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
What a dipshit thing to do to mock cultural norms of those not like you because you think it is a joke.
Cultural norms??? Did you even look at what this party was or are you just jumping on the overzealous outrage bandwagon? I'm so very sorry that someone made light of the very serious cultural "event" which was Kanye's Golddiger song. Oh my God. All of the outrage. And "those not like you"? I'm sure if you checked the itunes playlists of these kids, these songs being "mocked" as you put it can be found there. Whose culture do you think is being mocked? Are you suggesting that American Pop Culture is the exclusive province of some race? Or does it just deserve its own outrage category altogether?

Blackface is bad, this ain't it.

Border jumping parties where one side dresses up as stereotypical Mexicans and the other side border police is bad. This ain't it.

Cowboys and Indians... again, this ain't it.

Last edited by Kevin; 10-15-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

oh damn ohdamn ohdamn.. this costume mocks pop culture.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Wait, what?
Old 10-15-2015, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Wait, what?
I think her reaction to this sums up the reaction of a lot of these UCLA students who really, honestly, don't understand what they are outraged about. It's kind of a "Bless your heart" moment.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

And how about this outrage upon outrage? Pop culture mocking pop culture. And let's not even get started with everything Weird Al.

So is this only bad when fraternity kids do it? Or do we just have a fun bit of selective outrage from people who don't even know what they're really mad about. It's hard to take any of these folks seriously in their outrage.

Last edited by Kevin; 10-15-2015 at 01:10 PM.