GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,267
3 members and 1,264 guests
JayhawkAOII, lauralaylin, PGD-GRAD

Old 11-13-2001, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Time Off request

Where I work we have these time off request forms you need to fill out if you want to take a day or days off. Well two weeks ago I filled one out asking for next Tuesday, the 20th, off because my whole family is driving out, 6 hour drive, to my grandmother's house because her bday is on tuesday and we are staying there for thanksgiving and coming home on sunday. Anyway, in my time off request i just put "going out of town" because she doesnt really need to know the reason, although its obvious since its thanksgiving week. Anyway, i only work tuesday and thursday, plus next week i only have class on monday.

So i get the request back today and it says that too many people asked before I did and that they needed me to work. In all the year and a half I have been there they have never denied my time off requests. Maybe because im part-time, i dont know. Thing is this is the first request I have turned in since they changed who was in charge of them. Plus, i havent missed work for whatever reason in a very long time. I am so mad, but at the same time i dont want to get fired.

I am going to go anyway because i am not going to stay home on thanksgiving by myself because of work. Besides I work in a monterssori school and attendance is optional that entire week, we are going to low in numbers!

The only thing I can think of is going and explain the situation to this lady, but i know how she is and i dont think it will do any good. If she says "well im sorry i cant do anything about it" then i feel like saying "im sorry too because im going anyway" but i dont want to get fired!

I am not very good at confronting people that I know will get an attitude with me whether or not i have one.

What should I do? Besides, I turned in the request as soon as I found out the plans for turkey day.
Old 11-13-2001, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I wouldn't risk not going into work - that would be definite grounds for termination not to mention you would be putting those employees that did show up that day in a bad situation.

I would explain to your manager the situation (grandmother's birthday, etc.) and ask if there is any way you can get off (at least) for Thursday. That way you could join your family on Wednesday, which is better than not at all.

Alternatively, find someone else that's wasn't originally scheduled to work those days and switch with them.

It seems odd to me that a Montessori school would be open on a holiday.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 11-13-2001, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Reread your post so this is the edited part HOW MANY REQUESTS FOR TIME OFF HAVE YOU MADE? Barbara has a good approach.

This is the original
First, pretend you are going and WILL lose your job. If this is an acceptable outcome, the rest is easy. WHY? Because you've accepted the WORST outcome and decided you can live with it.

If this is true, then it all boils down to how you approach the lady.
You can be calm and in control of the conversation because going is more important than the job. You won't have to plea or get emotional. If you really CAN'T bear to lose the job then you don't have any leverage. You must be sure.

Lets say you are going to go-
Mrs. Gottawork, I have been thinking about my request and the reasons you denied it. I would like you to reconsider based on some information you may be unaware of...fill her in on the actual event with your family, don't mention Turkey Day... how you've never asked for time off in so long...maybe somebody was hired AFTER you...never missed a day. If it is within your means, offer to pay for a substitute teacher...(what is it now 32/day)
You have to end on a note of strength. In a sense Mrs. Gottawork, I don't see how you can deny my request. You are asking me to choose between a life event with my family and a job that employs me 2 days a week. Give her a little time to mull that over. If she STILL says no, just say I'm sorry, consider this my resignation.

Last edited by justamom; 11-13-2001 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay well this is what happened....

Oh before I forget, my job is closed on thursday- but since its a montessori school for children between the ages of 18months-3rd grade, its open Mon.-Wed. of next week.

Anyway, by the time I got back to work from my lunch hour she had already left for the day. So later on, I saw my boss, the director and got the courage to go and talk to her. I told her that I had turned in a time off request and it got denied. I explained to her that my family was going out of town and that I had planned on going with them, some time in the middle of this my eyes got really watery and i started crying. I know, im such a big baby! It seems like it always turns out this way when I confront someone about something. So she was like "Aww, go inside and wash your face, and I will touch base with Linda about this and get back with you on Thursday" So, i guess thats a good thing, but I was so embarassed that I started crying because I feel like its letting her know im weak- which is probably true but i dont want her to know that.

The bad thing is that i am going to have to deal with this again on thursday, but hopefully it will be good news.

I decided that if they still wont give me the day off then I will give them my resignation, because its not like my grandparents house is around the corner. I dont even really know how to get there, and I am not going to get in a car and drive for 6 hours straight without full confidence of where im going. This is only a part-time job- it shouldnt be causing me so much stress!!
Old 11-13-2001, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bucutie02
I decided that if they still wont give me the day off then I will give them my resignation, because its not like my grandparents house is around the corner. I dont even really know how to get there, and I am not going to get in a car and drive for 6 hours straight without full confidence of where im going. This is only a part-time job- it shouldnt be causing me so much stress!!
You are right. This should not be causing this much stress. All I know is that all my grandparents are deceased. I only got the chance to meet my mom's mother and she died when I was five years old. I have a couple of memories, but for the most part they are fuzzy. I wish I still had a grandparent.

Old 11-18-2001, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Update

Okay well this past thursday when I was coming in to work I saw my boss coming out of the front office and she told me she was going to touch base with me later in the afternoon because she was on her way to a field trip with her kids. What i want to know is why she just didnt tell me right there and then if she was okay with me going out of town on tuesday or not. But whatever.....

So 5pm comes around and she comes and talks to me while we have the kids out on the playground. She tells me that its not really fair for the people who work full time that asked for tuesday off and were denied and that i only work part-time and get my time off accepted. At this point, i see where she is coming from but no one that i know asked for tuesday off, of course maybe some people just didnt want to tell me so. So then she goes on that she had heard from some other teachers that if they didnt let me take tuesday off i was going to quit and she said she didnt want that. I told her that I didnt want to get fired for not being there on tuesday, but it was just something i was going to do anyway. Finally she tells me that she knows and i know that im going to go on tuesday but she wants me to call on monday afternoon and ask her if they were low in numbers, concerning the children. That right there was just stupid because if she knows im going to go anyway, why should i have to call in tomorrow? She is just making this a bigger deal than it really is.

So tomorrow i am going to call and ask if they were low in numbers, but even if they arent, i am still going to go and she KNOWS that!! oh how frustrating!

Last edited by bucutie02; 11-18-2001 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2001, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, here's why. Most likely, there is SOMEONE who is griping about it-wants to see you work come hell or high water. This is a part of protocal-you may have parents who demand a certain teacher/student ratio in every given situation or another employee who whines about every little thing. There are so many possiblities as to why. I am so glad you can retain your job.
I would have gone no matter what as well. They must really appreciate you because they have to know you could find another part time job! Maybe you wouldn't like it as well, but you could find one.

Oh, and she wanted you to know she was going out of her way to accomidate you-that's why she wanted a meeting. Don't look now, but you owe her one.
Old 11-18-2001, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
Oh, and she wanted you to know she was going out of her way to accomidate you-that's why she wanted a meeting. Don't look now, but you owe her one.
You sound just like my parents, and I am sure you are all right! I am actually thinking of looking for a new job after christmas! I actually have my reasons for finding a new job, but that will be another thread I will start soon!