GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Chi > Chi Omega

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,623
1 members and 1,622 guests
MSKKG

Old 04-25-2012, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
At the beginning of the story, before it got so dark, I was thinking, "I wonder what the Ole Miss KDs and Tri-Delts would have to say about Chi Os being the undisputed queens of campus."
I can guarantee that any greek or non-greek at Ole Miss is VERY aware of this story and when it started they thought less of that sentence and thought, "Oh my, this story. Has it really been 25 years?" I doubt anyone would begrudge her that statement.

Since this story has been published many of my friends have asked me about it since everyone knows where I went to school. I grew up an hour away from Oxford and remember when this all happened. I was in elementary school, but it was a pretty big deal. I don't think I REALLY understood what was happening, but all the tragedy was quite clear.

In the years since and with my time there I can say that she is telling the story pretty accurately and without too much embellishment. I've known people who were directly affected by this tragedy and this is almost EXACTLY how I've always heard it. It's still one of those stories that at least ONCE in your time at Ole Miss someone will recount. If you didn't know it before you got there, you definitely leave knowing it. I always think of those ladies when I would return from seeing my parents. The memorial is small and unassuming, sitting on the north side of Highway 6. You almost have to pass it.

I did really like how she told the story of what happened to the guy that hit them. It's interesting to note that I've NEVER heard anyone blame him. Everyone always said it like, "There was nothing he could do."

I think she did the telling of this tragedy justice.
To seek the truth and defend it always;"
- Dorothy Mumford Williams, The Delta Zeta Creed

Last edited by DZTurtle11; 04-25-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Ooh, DZTurtle11! I think you meant "recount," as in tell a story, and not "recant," as in withdraw a previous statement. You might want to edit that.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
I'd always think about it when I'd see people do fundraising activities, usually canning, alongside the road--it always seems to me to be fraught with danger.
I thought of this, too, when reading the article. The THON canners are always heavy in my area and they are usually at some majorly busy intersections.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Ooh, DZTurtle11! I think you meant "recount," as in tell a story, and not "recant," as in withdraw a previous statement. You might want to edit that.
Thank you, MaryPoppins!!! That was a HORRIBLE typo
To seek the truth and defend it always;"
- Dorothy Mumford Williams, The Delta Zeta Creed
Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW!!! I just read the story here at work while on my lunch break and now I am crying and blowing my nose. How very sad for all of those affected by this tragedy. I think the author did a great job writing this piece. I felt like her portrayl about the Chi Omega's was more of one too lead the reader to think that these were THE CHOSEN ONE's that nothing bad would ever happen to them only to read later in the article that it didn't matter what the letter...at the end we are all human.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCUAXID View Post
I felt like her portrayl about the Chi Omega's was more of one too lead the reader to think that these were THE CHOSEN ONE's that nothing bad would ever happen to them only to read later in the article that it didn't matter what the letter...at the end we are all human.

Yes, that was how I interpreted it as well.