GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,243
2 members and 1,241 guests
PGD-GRAD, Titchou
View Poll Results: Single or Shared Room In Sorority House?
Single-I need my space but still want to be around my sisters! 14 58.33%
Share-Sharing is caring! No better bonding than to be with sisters day&night! 10 41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Sorority House

What do you think is better-a single room in your sorority house or a room shared with sisters?

Pros/Cons of each?

Lets get some discussions!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Shared rooms bring in more money for the house corp and for a house corporation, they leave a lot more flexibility. If you're not able to fill all of your rooms, you can charge 3/4 to one person to rent a room for two (for example). If I was to build a house right now, I'd have every room built assuming 2-4 members would live in it.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Am I allowed to answer this even if I'm a guy?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not sure that men can truly appreciate the drama that can occur among women living in close quarters...
Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I am not sure that men can truly appreciate the drama that can occur among women living in close quarters...
See I was thinking guys living together can have similar drama, but they are like two sides of a coin.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

There are sorority houses with single rooms!!!???
Never heard of that except for a couple of officers (like President or NM Educator) getting a single room. At Tulsa Univ., we thought we were lucky to have 2 girl rooms in a cluster of 3 rooms that shared a bathroom.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

This is the big trend right now at IU, building single rooms or double rooms. Both Beta and SAE have single rooms. Beta is all singles, SAE has a few. Delta Gamma at IU did a major renovation maybe 10 or so years ago and they made some of the really small rooms singles. They have singles, doubles and quads. It's very popular among the PNMs. Chapter houses that were built a hundred years ago have really small day rooms. Now that students have computers, TVs, DVDs, in their room the rooms are even smaller. I think it's a great idea. You can allow more live outs. I wish chapters had single rooms when I rushed, I would have looked at those chapters more favorably.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

As a sophomore, go with the shared room. As a senior, save the risk of going to jail and take a single.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
This is the big trend right now at IU, building single rooms or double rooms. Both Beta and SAE have single rooms. Beta is all singles, SAE has a few. Delta Gamma at IU did a major renovation maybe 10 or so years ago and they made some of the really small rooms singles. They have singles, doubles and quads. It's very popular among the PNMs. Chapter houses that were built a hundred years ago have really small day rooms. Now that students have computers, TVs, DVDs, in their room the rooms are even smaller. I think it's a great idea. You can allow more live outs. I wish chapters had single rooms when I rushed, I would have looked at those chapters more favorably.
From all the AEPi houses I've visited, it seems most rooms were single. Either single or double no more. I know UF is all singles and Miami is mostly singles.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
From all the AEPi houses I've visited, it seems most rooms were single. Either single or double no more. I know UF is all singles and Miami is mostly singles.
I'm pretty sure that in general this isn't determined by the organization, but by the available housing in the area, etc. Perhaps they prefer to build new houses with only single and double rooms, but I've definitely been in AEPi houses with triples and quads.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 06-15-2013, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

We had shared rooms (minus the president) and a sleeping porch. I often feel like that lowered the drama. No one waking anyone else up for 8ams or keeping others awake during finals.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 06-15-2013, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

We didn't have a house but a dorm floor, but I lived with my sister for two years. When she graduated, I made my mom pay for me to have a private room for my senior year. My room was always open and sisters were in there all the time, but I didn't want a random freshman roommate.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

80% of housed students at my daughter's school had singles. Both the dorms and the sorority houses had doubles but also plenty of singles. She had a single all 4 years even in the decrepit first-year dorm. The sorority houses are only 15 years old so they are quite modern.

My son's university has mostly doubles in the dorms. His fraternity house.is quite old and the beds seem to be tucked under the eaves in the bedrooms in doubles, trips, and quads.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
Am I allowed to answer this even if I'm a guy?
Wouldn't most guys want two girls in a room if given that chance? Hahaha.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:38 PM

I think a single room is always better, but that's just me. Heck, I've been married 21 years and I'd still like my own room!