GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,257
0 members and 2,257 guests
No Members online

Old 02-03-2003, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisig4life
Formal Recruitment Vs. Formal Rush

I know that a few years ago (at least 4) before I even graduated from HS let alone joined a sorority our panhell voted to outlaw the terms 'rush' and 'pledge'. They were replaced by the terms 'Formal recruitment' and 'new member'. The reasoning behind this was that rush and pledge were degrading terms that bordered on hazing. Alot of the girls that are now in charge think it was a silly thing to change...especially the new members that were recently initiated in my class and the classes after mine. I was just wondering what everyone thought about it. I personally wish we could change it back.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I think most people feel pretty much the same. I know that in our house we only use "recruitment" in formal situations where we have to -- in casual conversation it's always "rush." "Rush" just sounds so much more fun! We use "pledge" and "new member" pretty much interchangeably.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I hate the "new" terms....

...recruitment has has meant something military to me
...and new member, well that is just a nice PC term -- what the heck was wrong with "pledge" -- I say we go back!
Old 02-04-2003, 08:37 AM

"Recruitment" does sound pretty military... I still say "rush".

When I pledged my local, NPC was just starting to push the term "new member" - some sororities used "new member", others used "pledge". AEPhi was in the process of switching over to "new member" when I joined - so we were called "new members" but we had old "pledge" manuals. Whatever... I prefer "new member" to "pledge".

I also still say "rushee" in conversation. Here, I tend to use PNM because it's easier to type
Old 02-05-2003, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to White_Chocolate
who cares
because until they fully initiate
they can always back out

so, i solved the problem
and say 'hey, new girls. . .'
Old 02-10-2003, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Overboard...

Well our chapter USED to call our new members "Pearls" because that's our jewel, and our new members were the "jewels" of our sorority. But of course that is considered "hazing" or whatever!! Now, they have completely gone overboard....each new member class has a name based on term of pledgeship....ex, the first was the "Alpha" class...go figure -- anyway, now we just had the Alpha Rho class -- well nationals said "No Way!" and we aren't allowed to call them by class name anymore because that is separating them from the rest of the group. So what are we supposed to say? "New Member Group of Spring 2003?" -- because isn't "spring 2003" technically a separation from the other new member classes? UGH -- I just really miss being a good 'ol pledge because that's what I was!! Now we are coming up with completely PC terms such as "The New Sisters that were formerly known as the Alpha Rho's"

I hate recruitment -- rush is definitely more fitting considering that is a perfect description of the week!