GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,735
0 members and 1,735 guests
No Members online

Old 12-30-2011, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cinamin1
I received two of the ugliest Christmas hand towels, I've ever seen (for the second year in a row...from the same co-worker).
The moment I saw how it was wrapped, I knew what it was. Then, she came by later that afternoon, beaming proudly like "oh, did you get my gift?" I replied, "oh yeah, I got it" :-/
Old 12-08-2017, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Holiday bump for one of the funniest threads on GC
Old 12-11-2017, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Dirty Santa, so you never know what you're going to get. BUT, you do have a chance to get rid of it.
I open the rather bedraggled bag and found....a dirty dishcloth. NOT EVEN CLEAN. It even smelled bad! The gifter laughed and said she thought it was a fine joke.
And of course, no getting rid of it. And I was the host for the party, dammit!!
Washed it with bleach and I'm still using it.
I think she's in a nursing home somewhere.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

I HATE Dirty Santa!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never heard it called that, but is that the deal where everyone takes a number and you pick gifts in order, or "steal" one from someone else? We do that with our alumnae group at our annual cookie exchange. There's an old/used Easy Bake Oven that's been making the rounds for the last few years.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

I think there are several ways of doing it, but yes!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Dirty Santa, so you never know what you're going to get. BUT, you do have a chance to get rid of it.
I open the rather bedraggled bag and found....a dirty dishcloth. NOT EVEN CLEAN. It even smelled bad! The gifter laughed and said she thought it was a fine joke.
And of course, no getting rid of it. And I was the host for the party, dammit!!
Washed it with bleach and I'm still using it.
I think she's in a nursing home somewhere.
Dirty Santa? Are there supposed to be awful gifts?

I've heard them called Yankee Swaps and White Elephants. Never Dirty Santa. I'd almost expect a horrible gift in a game with a name such as that.

But no matter what it's called, I end up with the worst gifts. There's always that person who doesn't take it seriously and buys something horrible, and I usually end up getting that gift. My history of gifts = pepper spray, an already-used Starbucks card, a Christmas ornament that someone made (i.e. ball dipped in glue and glitter), just to name a few.

I've also seen some other people receive some pretty bad gifts, like the woman who walked away with a bunny "puppet" that sweeps up dust bunnies.

Come on, people.

@~/~~~~
Old 12-11-2017, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

White Elephant is what it's called around here. They're generally supposed to be gag gifts or something OK but inexpensive or something ugly. The best you can hope for is a gift from the "OK but inexpensvie" category.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I've never heard it called that, but is that the deal where everyone takes a number and you pick gifts in order, or "steal" one from someone else? We do that with our alumnae group at our annual cookie exchange. There's an old/used Easy Bake Oven that's been making the rounds for the last few years.
I've heard it called a few different names, but that's the name that was used when I first played at a Suinday school party. And yes, that's the process usually used - draw a number from a hat and either pick a gift and unwrap, or "steal" a gift, with that person then doing the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Dirty Santa? Are there supposed to be awful gifts?
No - we usually set a $10 limit - but it's like Forrest's box of chocolates - you never know.
I usually pick something cool, but sometimes....one year I brought a giant box of cheap chocolates. The recipient was NOT happy and nobody else wanted it. The roll of bubble wrap was also not popular. I mean....who hates bubble wrap?!?

Old 12-13-2017, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I've heard it called a few different names, but that's the name that was used when I first played at a Suinday school party. And yes, that's the process usually used - draw a number from a hat and either pick a gift and unwrap, or "steal" a gift, with that person then doing the same.
We did that at a company christmas party a few fun caveats.
1) The person who picked first also got to go last when everyone else had gone.
2) Even though the recommended value was no more than $40, the manager added a bottle of wine worth about $500 to mix.
3) Each gift could only be stolen twice.

We had people keeping track of things on spreadsheets.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

18 People Who Got The Worst Secret Santa Gifts Ever

https://www.buzzfeed.com/danielacade...6lP#.xgp9bBlbw

@~/~~~~
Old 12-18-2017, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

This is the story of a bad gift we gave that kept coming back.

When I was about 8 or so, my dad and I visited the bookstore. I loved to read, so this was always a treat. After I picked out my books, my dad waited in the checkout line and let me explore the gifts section by the checkout. I was wandering through the racks of scrapbook kits and stuffed animals when I saw her. A frighteningly disfigured elf doll. I was both thoroughly creeped out and highly intrigued. When my dad got back, he took one look at the doll and immediately bought her for an upcoming white elephant party. A few weeks later, my parents dumped Grandma Elf on some poor souls at the white elephant and that was the end of that.

Or so we thought. My family routinely hosted a New Year's Eve party for couples with kids roughly the same age as us at our house. The lucky family that received the elf was there because the kids were good friends with my brother and sister. We would find out months later that they had stashed Grandma Elf in our towel closet. It was pretty startling running out of towels and finding that thing, still in its pristine box.

My family decided we would leave the doll with the other family at the next possible chance. Thankfully, there was a small group dinner that June. We brought the elf doll, and my siblings and I watched in awe as my dad opened the drop-down attic ladder and stashed her with the family's Christmas decorations. Unfortunately, my brother, now aged 7, couldn't keep secrets. In a moment of weakness, he told the other kids that we'd hidden the doll in their house, and they would never find it. Well, the kids told their dad, and he asked my brother. It didn't take much to get him to talk. My brother walked back to us, holding the doll in shame. In a last-ditch effort, after we left the house, we drove back around the block and threw the doll over their fence into the backyard. She appeared on top of our parked car after church the next Sunday.

A few years later, we had switched churches, and put the elf in the new white elephant, hoping she would find a family who would try to give her back as sneakily as the other one had. But the little girl that opened that gift loved the doll, so we haven't seen her since.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ This is a great story!!!
Old 12-21-2017, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

After reading this thread, I had to post that yesterday my neighbor's son received a live parakeet, cage and all through a Secret Santa for his HS Hockey team. My neighbor and her son have no interest in taking on a bird. The question is...did the 16 yo kid put it in without his parents knowing? Did the parents tell him to take it to get rid of the bird? Should my neighbor try and "re-gift" a live animal? She is so angry!
Old 12-21-2017, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I would contact the giver and his parents and say "thank you" but we are unable to accept the parakeet, and make arrangements to return it to them.