GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,485
0 members and 2,485 guests
No Members online

Old 08-09-2020, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

WaPo Article: DST & The Women’s Suffrage Movement

I came across this article while scrolling on Twitter!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...de-washington/

I couldn’t be prouder to stand on the shoulders of my 22 Illustrious Founders (and Soror Mary Church Terrell)! There’s still so much work to do!

Last edited by PersistentDST; 08-09-2020 at 11:33 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-10-2020, 05:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much for sharing this. It was in a section I don't read. Wish it had been highlighted by the WaPo. These lives of these 22 remarkable women who persisted in the face of adversity and didn't quit;you are absolutely correct, PersistentDST, there is still so much work to do.

33, LMK if you want me to email the article to you.

Here's an excerpt from the powerfully well-written article by Sydney Trent (if you aren't familiar with her body of writing, this is a good introduction. The entire article is a pleasure to read):

"A spectator observing the vast sea of faces that day might have been excused for thinking that all the marchers were White. Yet a combing of the crowds would have revealed African American women, unlisted in the official program, who had for decades battled racism within the movement to take their rightful place in history.

"Among them were the 22 young founders of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. at Howard University debuting as warriors for their race. There was Bertha Pitts Campbell, a vivacious young student who loved to dance but as valedictorian of her Colorado high school knew how to be serious, too. There was her sorority sister, Osceola Adams, a Georgia native with a dramatic flair who drew applause on the university stage. And marching nearby was Vashti Turley Murphy, a stylish graduate of D.C.’s Dunbar High who was pursuing a career as a teacher.

"Segregated in the back of the suffrage parade by its White organizers, the Deltas and other African American women were pioneers in paving the way for future Black political activism. More than a century later, African American women’s powerful role as political organizers and committed voters is once again in the spotlight as presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden considers naming a Black woman as his running mate.

"Yet their presence at the 1913 parade is still not widely known. “We don’t yet have the story of women’s suffrage in a way that shows Black women’s impact and our significance in the movement,” said Paula J. Giddings, professor emeritus at Smith College who has written about the role of Black women in American society. “The story is the way it is now because Susan B. Anthony wrote it that way. That’s the power of narrative — historians will go back to that story. The next thing we need to think about is how to re-narrate the story.”
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-10-2020, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post

I couldn’t be prouder to stand on the shoulders of my 22 Illustrious Founders (and Soror Mary Church Terrell)! There’s still so much work to do!
Thank you for sharing this history with us PersistentDST.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:13 PM

AZTheta, I love that you remembered that I am anti WaPo.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post

On July 26 the Tuscaloosa (AL) News had an insert on women's suffrage in the Sunday paper. I was thrilled that one chapter was dedicated to Ms. Terrell. Some beautiful quotes from her!