GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465

Old 11-29-2006, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Watch the big game

SAE at Berkeley is competing against Acacia to get on tv to advertise for the company 1-800free411 during the big game . Who ever gets on gets a pile of cash.

Holy sh*t, we're going to rock that place to get those camera to swing our way. Pretty cool. We're going to get rich. We want people rooting for us. So watch for us.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-29-2006, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

SAE is going down!

Don't get too attached to that cash. Your competition is pumped.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

dude. no chance. the stadium is going to be rocking in our favor anyway. cause we got such a plan, it'll blow your mind. if we're feeling nice maybe we'll throw you some loose change.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Texas Beta
I don't understand?
Old 11-29-2006, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Dude. What's not to understand. Watch the Big Game, or even better go the Big Game, and watch for my frat kicking Acacia's ass by getting on television with big ass signs that say 1-800-free411 on them. Acacia's going to be trying to do the same thing.

I figure, the more people that know about it, the more are going to look, and the better our chances.

If we do, we're gonna get some cash for our frat. It's simple. Well we're not believing that getting on camera at a huge stadium is going to be simple. That's why we have a plan. Just wait.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Ooo, you got a plan do ya? That false sense of security is what's going to bring you down.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

The Big Game, haha, gets me every time. What the hell is Acacia.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

It's one of those non-greek lettered fraternities... all I know is my friends dad was one at purdue, but it's about as frat as triangle at OU
Old 11-29-2006, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Big game?

It sounds like the contest between your frat and their "club" to get Free411 attention might be the only real game on Saturday. People will have to look because they'll be so bored watching Cal whip stanford. Go Bears!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
It's one of those non-greek lettered fraternities... all I know is my friends dad was one at purdue, but it's about as frat as triangle at OU
I know. Bunch of non-greek lettered wusses. SAE will win this one, to be sure. And YEAH! If the game sucks, look out for US! The stands is where the real action is going to be.

I hope for anyone reading this we get on camera. That would be so great. I'm about 6 foot, red wiry hair, skinny. You CAN NOT miss me.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

What is going on here?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
What is going on here?

My guess is some sort of spam for the 1800 number they're talking about. Poorly written spam, at that. WTF is "the big game"? Other than that, I have no clue what they're talking about.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
My guess is some sort of spam for the 1800 number they're talking about. Poorly written spam, at that. WTF is "the big game"? Other than that, I have no clue what they're talking about.
Me either. I never thought I'd see the day when spam went over my head.

On second thought, it is pretty poor spam, since no one knows what the hell he is talking about.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

All right, slowly this time...

Honestly, do I have to spell it out word for word?

First off, I'm way too bright to spam for a living. Second, this is about the Cal/Stanford game so if you're not from California this isn't going to mean much to you. If you are and you're a Bears fan then listen up!

1-800FREE411 is giving away a boat load of cash to whatever frat can get their name (that's 1800FREE411's name) on TV. Acacia and SAE have been recruited to pull this off. Whoever succeeds in this mighty endeavor gets the cash, hence getting the word out in advance to support the effort. Get it?

I must be talking to a bunch of Cardinals fans.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Big Game (football)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "Big Game" is the annual football game between Stanford University and the University of California, Berkeley (known simply as "California" or "Cal"), held in November. The first Big Game was held in March 19, 1892 on San Francisco's Haight Street grounds when Stanford beat Cal 14-10. It is the tenth longest rivalry in NCAA Division 1A football. Through 2005, Stanford leads the series record at 54-43-11 (wins-losses-ties; 49-40-10 if you do not include rugby games from 1906 to 1914). California has won the past four games (2002-2005), but Stanford won the previous seven meetings (1995-2001). The location of the game alternates between the two schools each year. In even numbered years, the game is played at Berkeley, in odd numbered years, at Stanford.

It is the biggest college football event in the Bay Area, and has a rich history. Future U.S. President Herbert Hoover was the Stanford team manager for the first Big Game. The first-ever card stunts were performed at the halftime of the 1910 Big Game. Since 1933, the victor of the game has been granted possession of the Stanford Axe. If the game ended in a tie, the Axe stayed on the side that already possessed it; however, college football games can no longer end in ties. The Axe is a key part of the rich history, having been stolen on several occasions by both sides.

In the week before the game, both schools celebrate the occasion with rallies, reunions and luncheons. Cal students hold a traditional pep rally and bonfire at the Greek Theatre on the eve of the game, while Stanford students stage the Gaieties, a theatrical production that both celebrates and pokes fun at the rivalry. The week also includes various other athletic events including The Big Splash (water polo) and The Big Freeze (ice hockey). The overall athletic rivalry between the schools has been solidifed into The Lexus Gauntlet, an annual award given to the school winning the most rivalries and championships under a point system.

Big Game has produced several cliffhangers, where the outcome of the game was decided on the final play. In 1972, a Vince Ferragamo touchdown pass to Steve Sweeney resulted in a last second Cal victory, while Mike Langford nailed a 50 yard field goal on the final play for a 22-20 Stanford triumph in 1974. Stanford's Tuan Van Le blocked a 21 yard Cal field goal attempt to preserve a 19-19 tie in 1988. In 1990, Stanford snatched victory in the final 12 seconds by scoring a touchdown, recovering an onside kick, and kicking a field goal. In 2000 Stanford's Casey Moore caught the winning touchdown on the final play of the first-ever Big Game to go into overtime.

However, the conclusion of the 85th Big Game on November 20, 1982 would go down as perhaps the greatest play in college football history. In what is now known simply as The Play, four Cal players lateraled the ball five times on a kickoff return with four seconds left on the clock. The final ballcarrier ran for a touchdown through the Stanford Band, which had run onto the field to celebrate prematurely (although the game clock had run out of time, the final play was allowed to be completed). The Play is often recounted with KGO radio announcer Joe Starkey's emotional call of The Play, which he hailed as "the most amazing, sensational, dramatic, heartrending, exciting, thrilling finish in the history of college football!" The legitimacy of The Play has remained controversial among some Stanford fans. To this day, the final score in the official record shows Cal winning by a score of 25-20, whereas in many Stanford publications it is recorded as Stanford 20, Cal 19.