GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,309
1 members and 1,308 guests
acg233

Old 05-02-2017, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Victim of Univ. of Texas stabbing was Greek

Harrison Brown, the 19 year old freshman at UT, was recently initiated into Phi Delta Theta. (Per TFM)

http://dailytexanonline.com/2017/05/...ing-identified
Old 05-02-2017, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I read rumors yesterday that Greek students were being targeted.

Any truth to this?

@~/~~~~
Old 05-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Let's not post rumors regarding a homicide which is probably still under investigation. No reason to make those detectives' lives any more complicated than they already are.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-02-2017, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I think there have been incidents in the past few months targeting Greeks at UT. Mostly vandalism and scary threats. A lot of college campuses are a hotbed of protests right now and at UT, Greek life has been targeted. I am not for sure if this incident was connected but the Greek community was on edge before this incident occurred. Summer break cannot come soon enough. I don't get it because Greeks are such a small percentage of that campus but I guess if you want to lash out at someone, anyone will do.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
I think there have been incidents in the past few months targeting Greeks at UT. Mostly vandalism and scary threats. A lot of college campuses are a hotbed of protests right now and at UT, Greek life has been targeted. I am not for sure if this incident was connected but the Greek community was on edge before this incident occurred. Summer break cannot come soon enough. I don't get it because Greeks are such a small percentage of that campus but I guess if you want to lash out at someone, anyone will do.
During their joint press conference, the various law enforcement agencies involved in the stabbing case stated there is no connection between the knife attacks and any of the previous vandalism and threats. They also made a point of stating the victims were not wearing Greek letters -- which was one of the many rumors flying around yesterday. It appears to be a random act of violence by someone experiencing a mental health crisis.

There was another unrelated stabbing off campus that day, as well as a death in a nearby apartment that police determined unsuspicious. All of these events combined with the previous vandalism and threats made everyone extra edgy.

Summer definitely can't come soon enough.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Let's not post rumors regarding a homicide which is probably still under investigation. No reason to make those detectives' lives any more complicated than they already are.
I simply mentioned what I heard and asked if there was any truth to it. Not sure how that's making detectives' lives harder...

@~/~~~~
Old 05-03-2017, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

I have really been surprised as to who follows this site. Lots more people visit here than post here.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-06-2017, 07:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HONKY660
It was announced on a Lambda Chi Facebook page that one of the victims of the University of Texas tragedy was Stuart Bayliss, a Lambda Chi and a new initiate at our Alpha Mu chapter. He sustained multiple injuries that will require months of healing and physical therapy. He went through a 5+ hour surgery for his multiple injuries and was kept in ICU overnight. He is still in the hospital but is luckily doing fine.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

From a friend, whose daughter is dating an officer in the UT chapter of Phi Delta Theta--the stabbing victim who died had pledged Phi Delta Theta, but had withdrawn before initiation. Nevertheless, the fraternity considered him "our brother" and led the mourners this week during several memorial gatherings.