GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293

Old 04-26-2008, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush as a junior

I'm a sophomore and I've always wanted to rush. I'm considering rushing next fall which will be my junior year. I know I'll probably be in school for one extra year because I changed my major, so if I got a bid I'd be able to be involved for 3 years. I just don't know if it'd be a good idea considering I'd be 2 years older than my pledge class and most of the girls my age that are active would have already been there for 2 years. Any thoughts?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

It really depends on where you go to school and how competitive the greek system is. It is not impossible to get a bid as a junior by any means, and the fact that you will be there 3 more years will help. Yes, you would be older than much of your pledge class but it's not really that big of a deal. I'd say give it a try and see what happens!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:30 PM

Every school is different. There are some schools where it's commonplace for juniors to get bids, while at others it is very difficult or unheard of.

As far as the age issue, being two years older than your class isn't usually that big of a deal. Most girls in the sorority are going most likely going to be in the tradtional 18-21 or 22 age range anyway. So even if your class is mostly 18 or 19 year olds, you can still find girls your own age to relate to.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

We have a junior in our pledge class, so it does happen. We're not a massivly huge university, but we do have a relativly big Greek System. If you want to rush, then you should!! Good luck!
Old 04-27-2008, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Like everyone said, it really depends on the school. I joined my chapter (a small university) at 22 and as a junior. I was only there for two years, so I immediately became involved with one of the executive positions (Finance Vice President). You just have really prove yourself as a valuable asset. You are not there as long as the freshmen, so you really have to show them that they did not waste a bid on an upperclassman.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcheek View Post
I'm planning on rushing as a junior if I get into UCLA (fingers crossed)

Is it hard to get a bid as a junior at UCLA? I would hope not since I heard that 40% of the students in UCLA are transfer students anyway.

From what I understand UCLA also has a huge greek system so if you keep an open mind about houses I'm pretty positive you can get a bid. People rush as juniors at UC Berkeley too because we have a huge transfer population as well. I even rushed spring semester of my junior year and still got a bid.

Good Luck and I'm sure you'll do well
Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I know some girls at UCLA in a house that is considered one of the most competitive and they did have two juniors in their pledge class this year, both transfers. That being said everybody else in the pledge class was a freshman. That leads me to think that maybe they have a special junior quota or something, but I'm not sure. Anybody who knows more about UCLA know the correct answer for that one?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I have heard most of the juniors who get bids at large schools such as UCLA are transfers.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:14 AM
GreekChat Member

It really depends on the school. I can think of at least one school where juniors and seniors don't count towards quota, which would actually put you at an advantage.

Regardless, if you want to rush, go for it. I think you'd be fine.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I say go for it! You only live once.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIcey212 View Post
I say go for it! You only live once.

I totally second that!