GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,468
4 members and 2,464 guests
davidsholzeo679, JayhawkAOII, LaneSig, TLLK

Old 11-14-1999, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Is hazing more of a 'guy' thing or a 'girl' thing, and also.....

Is hazing more of a 'guy' thing or a 'girl' thing. I think that both sororites and fraternities do hazing, but is it more intense for guys? What kinds of hazing do girls do in sororites?

Thank you for your time,
Rebecca
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-15-1999, 10:58 AM
Artimis

NPC, IFC, NPHC, and most non-affliated sororities/fraternities with National governing body have anti-hazing policies. These policies are generally listed under Anti-Hazing or Risk Management. Additionally, most, if not all, States in the U.S. have some form of anti-hazing legislation.

As organizations, most brotherhoods/sisterhoods recognize hazing as being determental the health and existance of their organizations. However, I would be naive to claim that hazing does not exist within some chapters.

Each individual has a different interpretation of the anti-hazing policies/laws. If you are considering joining a fraternity or a sorority - or any organization - remeber that your rights as an individual are protected. You can say "no" to any activity that you feel uncomfortable, or would put you or your brothers/sisters in danger, physically, mentally or emotionally. With in the risk management documents, procedures exist for addressing concerns of hazing. It is your right and responsiblity to assist in ensuring the safty of your sisters at any stage of your membership.

As far as is hazing a guy or a gal thing:
Based on second/third/n-th hand accounts, physical hazing tends to be more rampant with amongst brothers while more mental/emotional hazing is more prevelant amongst sisters.

If you are concerned with experiencing hazing during your memebership, you might consider speaking with someone within the greek affairs (or similiar office) at your university. They normally have on file information concerning the anti-hazing policies of the organizations, the university, and the state.

Jennifer

------------------
Beta Chapter Alumnae and Founder
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
http://alpha-sigma-kappa.ou.edu/
Old 11-22-1999, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a Gamma Phi Beta In Va and i have never been hazed by my sisters. I have seen the frats down here haze there pledges and some of the frats are worse then other but they all do it. So if you ask me its a guy thing not a girl thing.
Old 06-18-2001, 01:46 AM

Angry

shouldn't be either. That is all
Old 06-18-2001, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I can honestly say that I was never and still haven't been touched.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:23 AM

Like they always say, the national organizations forbid it, and a lot of chapters comply but a few bad apples can ruin the bunch and it affects everyone.

I have heard first hand accounts from guys being hazed during their pledging period and the ones that I've listened also had mental hazing done to them, in addition to physical stuff. Although the people I've talked to didn't get beat up/paddled directly (because the "actives technically can't lay a hand on them"), they still had to deal with physical stuff to some extent. This guy I know went through a "i-cant-take-it-anymore" phase during I-week and actually dreaded it when the clock strikes 5:45 pm because that time he has to be in the house by 6 pm. God knows what else him and the other pledges do, other from the stories he has dared shared with me. He made it, got his letters, and fortunately seems really happy with his brothers. I've been to parties at that house and the guys are all nice and sweet it's hard to imagine they would be the type to do bad stuff to a pledge.

------------------
"To supress our feelings only makes them stronger"--from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Old 06-20-2001, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

gammazetagrl,

What makes you think was bad stuff. He may not have liked it because he did not fully understand what was being done and the reasons for it. You said that he now seams fit in the Brotherhood. I would venture to say that he probably learned a tremendous amount about human nature and Brotherhood. Then an enormous amount about himself.
Old 06-21-2001, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

N2,

If it wasn't hazing, then why would he be dreading everyday when he had to be at the house? I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it sounds like you are trying to justify hazing. There is no justification for hazing. Some say it teaches you respect, but you have to earn respect. If I was beaten or forced to do bad things, I would have no respect for my fraternity and wouldn't be there today. But I wasn't hazed. If that isn't what you were trying to say, my bad. It just amazes me when I see people try and justify that hazing is a good thing.
Old 06-21-2001, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Hazing is a guy thing on my campus.....what do girls have to do when they pledge? get gifts go to parties paint the rock. How bout their I-Week?......dust the house with a pledge class from 15-20. Wish my pledge term and "Brotherhood Week" was like that. The guy who dread being at his house by 6 was lucky he didnt have to live in the house for the week. Dont get me wrong if we dont want to do anything we think puts our life or the life of anyone in danger we will not do it, nor be forced to do it. We also dont do anything like physical abuse in my chapter, that would undermine the brotherhood. We also make sure everyones alright before, during and after things like that. And i may make people angry about this but i think if hazing is done right and is done to build a person up, not break him down it helps build the bonds between ur pledge class and the house.(sorry if i offended anyone)
Old 06-21-2001, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Brian,

I have no doubt that it was hazing. If it served a purpose, helped him grow, learn about human nature and himself, then it was executed well. I do not, have not, and never will support or endorse physical abuse, or alcohol as part of hazing in fraternities. I do believe that the IFC and FIPG definitions of hazing are so far out of line with that they cannot be followed to the letter and therefore are widely ignored. In my chapter, we pledge virtually the same way we did 25+ years ago.

You can search my pervious post and find that I am very pro-hazing, if its done correctly. There is a difference. If a pledge class is not confused and in the dark as to what is going to happen next, the maximum is not being extracted from the experience. It is the uncertainty and stress that induces the environment that we need to create the outcome we desire.
Old 06-21-2001, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

N2,

Could you elaborate on what you mean by hazing done correctly?
Old 06-23-2001, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

BrianMUDU,

See my post on "Anti-Hazing has gone out of control."

Mostly in the last 2-3 pages. It explains my position well.
Old 07-27-2001, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I was rather not looking forward to I-week myself.

BrianMUDU, a lot of pledges do not look towards their last week as pledge. There are a lot of responsibilities to finish up, especially when you have a paddle, art project, diary, big brother gift, score minimum, and pledge fee all due at the same time as school projects, work, social events, relationships, and family. You think it's easy? Hell no!

If there is hazing going on within a fraternity, there's enough legislature out there to protect those pledges, because greek organizations ought to be scared off their butts for allegations of hazing.

We accidentally did do a measure of hazing to one pledge class a while back -- we had an inexperienced ritual leader being led by a malicious pledge educator. Shaving cream got in their eyes and mouth one night, and women's makeup got in the same way another night. All because the educator had quite a lot of control over the ritual person and that position was considered secret even to all fraternity brothers. Stupid Stupid Stuuupid!

Anyways, back on topic... both guys and girls do haze, but I've seen more physical be the guy's domain, and definitely emotional hazing be the girl's aspect.

-MK
Old 07-27-2001, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

The sororities at my school never haze. None of the girls at my school would ever put up with that stuff. If any of the girls got hazed they would quit. The fraternities do haze but it is minimal from what I hear.