GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,477
1 members and 1,476 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 02-25-2002, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

transferring?

I'm a freshman at the U of Oklahoma and am considering transferring to a school in the Midwest next year. I rushed this past fall and pledged a great sorority. I was wondering what kind of experiences, if any, you have had with transfers who affiliate. I really would like to affiliate with my sorority's chapter at this school, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Are transfers usually welcomed by members? Or are they treated badly? Thanks!

Rachel
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-25-2002, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tridgirl
We just got two affilates this spring and they are GREAT, one we even adopted into our family. I think Tri Delta is the only one with a semester waiting period, but our affilating sisters are welcome to everything and aren't going to have a problem staying. I would encourage you to affiliate I am so glad that our girls did.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

When you transfer, is it almost like going through rush again? Do the members have to vote on you in order to become an active?
Old 02-26-2002, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Sweetums,
I am not sure but I know that's how it is here at OU... we have to vote on affiliates, although generally they are always approved, after all once a sister, always a sister. I'm pretty sure they operate the same way since they have a fairly huge greek system. Isn't that the case everywhere?? The chapter has to vote on whether to accept girls trying to affiliate?

Just wondering.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

OKSooner- I sent you a private message.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

We had a girl transfer from Mercer University this year, and she's blended in really well. She's a freshman, so our new girls kinda took her in as one of them. I think transfers are normally always welcome as part of the chapter.

-VSUPhiMu
Old 02-26-2002, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Two questions: What sorority are you in and where are you transferring? I'm interested because I might be transferring to a school in the midwest next year too!
Old 02-26-2002, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
We had a transfer student who affiliated and wound up on the Executive Board a year later. She fit in great. Good luck!
Old 02-26-2002, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
New affiliate!

Guess what! I heard that a sister from one of the other universities in the state has just transferred here, and she wants to affiliate! I'm so excited, I can't wait to meet her...I love getting new people. Our chapter has lost 20 members here recently, so this makes things a little brighter.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kristiAZD
Exclamation

I've been talking to OKsoonergirl about this on PM, but since neither of us have many answers, I'm going to ask all of you a few rumors I had heard. Is it true that you have to go through the new chapter's pledging period to become affiliated with the chapter? Also, when you affiliate, is that saying that you were never a part of the chapter you were initiated in? If either of these things are true I will seriously consider not affiliating because #1 I have been in my chapter for 3 years and already on the executive board, and #2 all the girls in my current chapter are my family and there is no way I could completely say I was never an Alpha Xi in that chapter. We've had sisters transfer out, but they didn't end up going to a school where Alpha Xi Delta was present. If anyone, especially Xis could clear this up for me I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 02-27-2002, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is it true that you have to go through the new chapter's pledging period to become affiliated with the chapter? Also, when you affiliate, is that saying that you were never a part of the chapter you were initiated in? If either of these things are true I will seriously consider not affiliating because #1 I have been in my chapter for 3 years and already on the executive board, and #2 all the girls in my current chapter are my family and there is no way I could completely say I was never an Alpha Xi in that chapter. We've had sisters transfer out, but they didn't end up going to a school where Alpha Xi Delta was present. If anyone, especially Xis could clear this up for me I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Totally, totally not true! You only have to go through the pledge period again if for some reason you didn't initiate the first time around! And it does NOT mean that you were never a part of the first chapter!

In AXD you can affiliate with the new chapter (I believe it's immediately) unless your old chapter votes not to let you. And they would only do that if you were a problem of some kind - like they hadn't gotten around to kicking you out yet, which I doubt is the case with you.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kristiAZD
Smile

Thanks, FuzzieAlum.