GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,113
1 members and 1,112 guests
AOIIalum

Old 09-12-2023, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Covid is a virus. All viruses are living. Covid hijacks cells to reproduce itself.
That’s what I tried to tell her.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Covid is a virus. All viruses are living. Covid hijacks cells to reproduce itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
That’s what I tried to tell her.
Yes, they manipulate cells, but I wouldn’t call them living organisms.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
They gotta be living in order to do that, CG.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
They do call some vaccines "live virus" vaccines though. I can't take those because I'm immunocompromised. The original shingles vaccine was that. The newer one is not.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
They gotta be living in order to do that, CG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
They do call some vaccines "live virus" vaccines though. I can't take those because I'm immunocompromised. The original shingles vaccine was that. The newer one is not.
Yes, but because virus particles lack movement, they also lack the ability to generate energy or manufacture proteins independently, so they’re not generally regarded as living organisms. But they are still pieces of genetic material that parasitize cells internal machinery to reproduce themselves. But that’s it.
Old 09-13-2023, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, but because virus particles lack movement, they also lack the ability to generate energy or manufacture proteins independently, so they’re not generally regarded as living organisms. But they are still pieces of genetic material that parasitize cells internal machinery to reproduce themselves. But that’s it.
Then where’d they come from? They had to have come from somewhere?
Old 09-14-2023, 05:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I was curious so I looked it up. This is wild. CG, you’re right. Wow!
https://youtu.be/IQqgNny8OGg?si=ODNSxz8PiQ_uVFGg
Old 09-14-2023, 06:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I found this too, while trying to make a failed attempt to prove CG wrong Lol.
https://www.khanacademy.org/test-pre...-dead-or-alive
Old 09-14-2023, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Then where’d they come from? They had to have come from somewhere?
Good question. I have no idea, Phrozen. I only can guess based on theories I do know about. Other than that, I don’t know.
Quote:
I was curious so I looked it up. This is wild. CG, you’re right. Wow!
https://youtu.be/IQqgNny8OGg?si=ODNSxz8PiQ_uVFGg
Quote:
I found this too, while trying to make a failed attempt to prove CG wrong Lol.
https://www.khanacademy.org/test-pre...-dead-or-alive
lol
Hilarious! Why were you up so late/early looking for virus information?

Yes! I love that comparison to Star Trek’s Data and the Terminator. Perfect comparison and great article.

I know two veterinarians that disagree with me though, lol. One was a mentor of mine who I really like and respect dearly. But when I was doing my rotations, he told me they are living, so for the longest time I believed him. But me being me, I researched it myself and since then, I disagree with him. And a new guy we just hired disagrees with me too. There’s four vets including me, and he’s the only guy out of the four of us and the only one who thinks differently. Maybe it’s a guy thing lol.

He and I have friendly debates about viruses every now and then. He thinks they’re living organisms similar to parasites, just not as complex. I disagree with him because cells of free-living organisms, including bacteria, contain a variety of organelles essential for life such as ribosomes that manufacture proteins, mitochondria or other structures that generate energy and complex membranes for transporting molecules within the cell, across the cell wall. Viruses not being cells, have none of these and they can’t move or reproduce until they infect a living cell. Once inside, they take over the cell’s organelles and use what they need to complete the virus cycle, often killing the cell in the process. Viruses can’t even grow. Parasites can and do grow. But I think it’s more like the “Is Pluto a planet or a dwarf planet/celestial body?” kind of thing.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Watching the game.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
lol
Hilarious! Why were you up so late/early looking for virus information?

Yes! I love that comparison to Star Trek’s Data and the Terminator. Perfect comparison and great article.

I know two veterinarians that disagree with me though, lol. One was a mentor of mine who I really like and respect dearly. But when I was doing my rotations, he told me they are living, so for the longest time I believed him. But me being me, I researched it myself and since then, I disagree with him. And a new guy we just hired disagrees with me too. There’s four vets including me, and he’s the only guy out of the four of us and the only one who thinks differently. Maybe it’s a guy thing lol.

He and I have friendly debates about viruses every now and then. He thinks they’re living organisms similar to parasites, just not as complex. I disagree with him because cells of free-living organisms, including bacteria, contain a variety of organelles essential for life such as ribosomes that manufacture proteins, mitochondria or other structures that generate energy and complex membranes for transporting molecules within the cell, across the cell wall. Viruses not being cells, have none of these and they can’t move or reproduce until they infect a living cell. Once inside, they take over the cell’s organelles and use what they need to complete the virus cycle, often killing the cell in the process. Viruses can’t even grow. Parasites can and do grow. But I think it’s more like the “Is Pluto a planet or a dwarf planet/celestial body?” kind of thing.
Because I was trying to find something that supported my argument. I found a few things on YouTube but none that sounded credible. I stand corrected.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
I got home from work about 90min ago. It's my Friday after 9 consecutive days of work... and tomorrow is my first full day off since Oct. 15. I'm having midnight wine to celebrate and then I'm crawling in bed and snuggling up to DH.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Wondering what my young grandniece will say when she opens her Ken Doll from me at Christmas this year. She only asked for more Barbie dolls; it was my decision to give her Ken after checking with her parents.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Sitting in front of the fireplace, listening to music, relaxed and drinking coffee.
https://www.youtube.com/live/kJBWvTW...S6cMqzRNAsgwXy