GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 1,771
0 members and 1,771 guests
No Members online

Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

HELP: Spring rush and error on transcript

Hello all,

Thank you so much for the advice and help you are about to give me. I am a freshman at a school with a deferred spring rush and I am freaking out because grades were just released and there is a GIANT error on my transcript for one of my grades, which makes my gpa just under what the college requires to participate in recruitment. I know that there is an error, I know the reason is because I missed an exam because of an excused absence (deathly ill with notes from dr. and infirmary) and I believe (due to my calculations) that the missed exam was put in as a "0", instead of just left out which is what my professor had said he would do. The school is on break now and I can't reach my professor. I have emailed every day and called, but no response. When I get back to campus there is only 4 days before rush starts!! This professor keeps very limited office hours, but is super nice and I know once I track her down, it will get fixed, but it will probably take longer than a week or two. I know that it will eventually get fixed and I will be above the minimum gpa required, but I am worried about it all getting changed in the system before rush begins. What do I do???? (fyi..I entered college with a 3.9 high school gpa, and high sat's) I am freaking out and this is absolutely ruining my break as I have wanted to rush a sorority for so long and I have made such great friends going through the fall process of recruitment. I don't think I could accept being kept out of rush because of an error that was not my fault! Please help!!!!!! any advice is appreciated.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-20-2012, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

It looks like you will have to depend on the teacher getting the grade fixed when the break is over. Once you hear from your professor contact Greek Life office and let them know what is going on.

Sorry this has happened, but try not to let it freak you out too much. It is what it is so concentrate on all of your good qualities during recruitment. While grades are very important they are not the sole factor.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure the school is essentially closed right now, but there may be a few things you can do. Besides contacting your professor, try contacting your advisor. You can probably also email or call the Greek Life office at your school and explain the situation and ask them for advice. They may have seen this situation before and since recruitment is gearing up, they may be reading emails more frequently. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

thank you for your response, and the advice to focus on my other qualities. I really appreciate the time you have taken.

My biggest concern is that I will be ABLE to participate in recruitment at all. Will they let me go through rush while it is in the process of getting fixed. From what I have been able to research, there is a lot of paperwork involved in grade changes (even when there is an error) and it takes time. It is out of my hands because it is up to the professor to change it.

I have already gone through all the fall sorority stuff, been with my pi chi group a lot, attended "dates", made a lot of great contacts, etc. I felt really confident going into rush before this issue came to light.

Thanks for your kind words of support..
Old 12-20-2012, 11:15 AM

If you've already begun rushing, let your pi chi know ASAP, as well as the Greek life office. I'm sure similar situations have occurred before.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Another reassuring piece of advice: it is highly probable that the Panhellenic Officers and Greek Life Advisor/Panhellenic Advisor are staying on top of things during the semester break. This is especially true given that recruitment is starting right as spring semester starts. No rest for those ladies. I say this based on the fact that at my campus, they work all summer long, after taking a three-week break just after the spring semester ends. They aren't sitting around popping bon-bons.

What can you do? Write informative, polite emails, request an acknowledgement/response, keep the right parties informed as you hear from the professor re: status of your grade change. Keep things in perspective; do not let this ruin your semester break, holidays, etc.

Good luck!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-20-2012, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for your encouraging replies. I have just left another message for my professor, and I have emailed my pi chi to keep her in the loop. They couldn't possibly keep me out of recruitment because of this, could they? That would be so devastating to me, emotionally and socially..
Old 12-20-2012, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

If the college requires a minimum GPA, and your official transcript shows that you do not meet that minimum GPA, I think that's a question that you need to have answered by your college.

We can speculate, but that won't really be helpful.

It's really out of your hands now; you have done as much as you can. The worst thing that can happen is that you will not be able to participate in recruitment. You know that already, and obsessing over what you cannot control isn't going to change anything.

Perspective: this is not the most devastating thing in the world. It really isn't.

People are on break, so give it a little time. Go out and do something that will take your mind off this.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-20-2012, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm pming you with some advice, from a professor's viewpoint.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Call the Dean of Students. If you had a legit family emergency, you should go through them.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

It wasn't a family emergency. I was very ill for over a week, severe mono, was told by the infirmary, that i was NOT allowed to attend classes for atleast 48 hours. I think they thought I was contagious. The missing of the exam was already ok'd by the professor and he told me I wouldn't have to make it up. the problem now is that he gave me a "0" and used it to factor in to my final grade. I know it was just a mistake.

Getting it changed is another matter. I don't feel that I should be penalized and not be able to participate in Rush over an ERROR. I feel that would be tremendously unfair to me.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I would go ahead and email your advisor as well, I know that some campuses they are still around this week. Perhaps they could help get in touch with your professor..
Old 12-20-2012, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariemilly View Post
It wasn't a family emergency. I was very ill for over a week, severe mono, was told by the infirmary, that i was NOT allowed to attend classes for atleast 48 hours. I think they thought I was contagious. The missing of the exam was already ok'd by the professor and he told me I wouldn't have to make it up. the problem now is that he gave me a "0" and used it to factor in to my final grade. I know it was just a mistake.

Getting it changed is another matter. I don't feel that I should be penalized and not be able to participate in Rush over an ERROR. I feel that would be tremendously unfair to me.
Okay, I don't know what school you are at, but I teach at two universities, and I would tell students at either one to go through the Dean of Student's office for this situation. I assume you have some sort of documentation of your illness.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, if you have not already, email your professor via his/her school email account and through your grade server/program. Our university uses blackboard and students can email me via blackboard and the messages are sent to my university account. I know that if I made an error in a student's grade, I would be able to correct it until tomorrow evening. After that, I may have to wait until after the new year. How soon is your recruitment? Do you have to report right after the new year or a little later in January?
Old 12-20-2012, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I have emailed the professor on school email, as it is the only email I have for him. I have also left 2 phone messages. I have contacted my pi chi to alert her of the situation and she has forwarded my emails to the person in charge of the recruitment.

We have 4 days after school starts before rush begins, along with a busy first week of classes. From what I understand, there are lots of forms involved, so if I get it revolved with the professor, it most likely will not be in the system.

I just can't believe they would not allow me to go through RUSH when there is an ERROR involved. It really is not fair at all, as my ACTUAL gpa after the grade change is fine.

I also might add, it is a small school with a not terribly competitive rush, from what I understand last year %92 had bids. I have no idea if that is high or low, as I have not done it before.