GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,586
0 members and 1,586 guests
No Members online

Old 11-08-2020, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Alex Trebek Dies after battling Pancreatic Cancer

The man who had all of the answers, he taught many of us about information and immigrants about English.
May his memory be eternal.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/11/08/alex-...reatic-cancer/
Old 11-08-2020, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

It's fun remembering his first major U.S. tv game show, The Wizard Of Odds. Perhaps BUZZR-TV will show a few episodes during their tribute to Mr. Trebek, just as they showed multipleTom Kennedy game show programs during Tom's tribute last month.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

So very, very sad.
2020 I do NOT like you.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Jeopardy was a staple in our house growing up. This one was another tough 2020 loss. They were saying on the news today he taped enough new episodes to run through Christmas Day which seems fitting.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Yep...many of us spent our formative years “playing” Jeopardy along with the show. Trebek was a CLASS ACT. RIP Alex.

And I concur: 2020 needs to END!!!
Old 11-09-2020, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

It's like losing just one more piece of my grandmother - we watched every day, along with my mother. I have a lifelong love of trivia due to that.

If you haven't read The Answer Is, it is a very interesting look at his life from his perspective.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

I am incredibly sad, as I have missed so very few episodes of the "Alex Years". Both my husband and I just finished reading his book ("And The Answer Is...") and we are in serious mourning.

May the Lord bless his family in these days (months, years) of missing such a kind and wonderful man.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

And the Jeopardy! Sketches gosh they made me LOL, Alex was apparently a fan. :-)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-impersonation
Old 11-15-2020, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

I was fortunate enough to try out for the show (pre-internet) and I enjoyed the experience even though I didn't qualify. It made me realize how much I did not know about our government process at the time. Since then, I made it a point to be better about knowing how our world works.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
I was fortunate enough to try out for the show (pre-internet) and I enjoyed the experience even though I didn't qualify. It made me realize how much I did not know about our government process at the time. Since then, I made it a point to be better about knowing how our world works.
I tried out then, too. My test was scheduled for a week after I left What's His Name, and needless to say, didn't do as well as hoped.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

When they were first thinking about having a kids Jeopardy, my daughter called to try out. Since they did not know how they were going to structure it, they had each child bring a parent who also tried out. They put the kids in the actual studio and gave them their test; they put the parents in a freezing cold empty sound studio with jack hammering going on outside to have their test. I knew I did lousy on the test. After the adults had their test, we were taken back to the studio. We were told that if either the child or the parent passed their test, they would stay in the studio to play a mock game. More than 60% of the people were told, "thank you but you will not be moving on." Parents were yelling at their kids for not passing the test. My daughter has always been far more intelligent than I could ever hope to be. We stayed for the mock game. I knew she was the one who passed.

When we left the studios to return home, she told me how easy the test was-- I was right-- she is the one who passed!!!. When they decided how they were going to structure the game, she was not asked to play as she was the oldest child to try out. She made their age cut off by 1 week. They took 15 kids who were all at least 2 years younger than her. Was truly a fun experience, but unfortunately, we did not move on to the next level and get to meet Alex.

When she was in college, she tried out for the college edition. She said the test was the hardest test she had ever taken.

DaffyKD
Old 11-16-2020, 05:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I was on Jeopardy! in 1994, and have a fun picture of Alex "choking" me - he did it right as the Jeopardy! publicist's camera went off.

My father died of pancreatic cancer; it is a horrible disease, and Alex Trebek fought it with grace and dignity. I hope his family finds peace as they mourn.