GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,913
0 members and 1,913 guests
No Members online

Old 07-23-2018, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

And one thing that is different since most of us went through: RFM.
The result being that in the first rounds, popular houses with traditionally high return percentages have to make DEEP cuts. So a PNM can have a great round at several houses and feel really positive about them but be shocked when see their next round invitation list.
In these rounds, houses MUST cut x number of PNMs so they will look for arbitrary reasons to cut: no rec, GPA, a legacy expected to go to their legacy house, ANYTHING. Unfortunately, it just comes down to numbers.

These cuts are the least personal, but are so shocking they are confidence killers. It’s hard for PNMs (and their moms) to understand why they were cut from half the houses when they’re an awesome girl and the parties went well. Then other girls will have a full schedule and it just won’t make any sense! There simply may be NO reason other than fate.

This is when you are going to die a little inside. This is when you’ll need to be there for your daughter, and we will be here for you! <3
Old 07-23-2018, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

^^^^^AND THIS^^^^^
Old 07-23-2018, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Best explanation I have seen about RFM that breaks it down into a few, simple sentences.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
The result being that in the first rounds, popular houses with traditionally high return percentages have to make DEEP cuts. So a PNM can have a great round at several houses and feel really positive about them but be shocked when see their next round invitation list.
In these rounds, houses MUST cut x number of PNMs so they will look for arbitrary reasons to cut: no rec, GPA, a legacy expected to go to their legacy house, ANYTHING. Unfortunately, it just comes down to numbers.

These cuts are the least personal, but are so shocking they are confidence killers. It’s hard for PNMs (and their moms) to understand why they were cut from half the houses when they’re an awesome girl and the parties went well. Then other girls will have a full schedule and it just won’t make any sense! There simply may be NO reason other than fate.

This is when you are going to die a little inside. This is when you’ll need to be there for your daughter, and we will be here for you! <3
Wow! I am SO glad I found this group. I'm definitely going to need the support. Already stocking up on wine to help get me through move in and recruitment!! ;-)
Old 07-24-2018, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Heads up to the moms with daughters rushing this fall, including those on this thread - funinthesun and Theta1234 - there is a really delightful post here by a gal who details her entire rush experience. She's now out of school (but I think only by a few years) - it is so well written that I think it would give your daughters a good sense of rush. I think it was figured out, by various readers, that this member rushed at Indiana University which has a pretty competitive rush so it could be a good comparison to your daughters' school.

It's called "A Spicy Recruitment" - named so since the school has so many houses that she needed lots of names to use (hence spices, LOL).

Check it out.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Curlygurl's is another must read.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

My DD is very excited, and we were just talking about jewelry with her clothing tonight. She has met with older friends from high school that have gone through at various schools to talk to them about their experience. All the advice they give is the same advice my family and I have been giving her, she has read, and I have relayed from here. Something about the same advice from a friend that settles better sometimes than from mom. Funny thing was I asked her if she wanted to talk to my cousin as well and she said "Mom...y'all went through in the 80's....it's not exactly the same." To my cousin and I, the 80's were just yesterday.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I am copying and pasting for DD!
Old 07-24-2018, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose50 View Post
My DD is very excited, and we were just talking about jewelry with her clothing tonight. She has met with older friends from high school that have gone through at various schools to talk to them about their experience. All the advice they give is the same advice my family and I have been giving her, she has read, and I have relayed from here. Something about the same advice from a friend that settles better sometimes than from mom. Funny thing was I asked her if she wanted to talk to my cousin as well and she said "Mom...y'all went through in the 80's....it's not exactly the same." To my cousin and I, the 80's were just yesterday.
It wasn’t just yesterday?

After accessory selection, we put each day’s accessories IN a ziploc ON the hanger with the outfit she was wearing. Had to keep the last minute panics of, “omg where is my ....!?!” at bay. After the mind-numbing fog of war, *ahem* “recruitment”, sets in, we didn’t want her to waste any mental energy on finding each day’s accoutrements!

Last edited by APhi2KD; 07-24-2018 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 07-25-2018, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

After accessory selection, we put each day’s accessories IN a ziploc ON the hanger with the outfit she was wearing. Had to keep the last minute panics of, “omg where is my ....!?!” at bay. After the mind-numbing fog of war, *ahem* “recruitment”, sets in, we didn’t want her to waste any mental energy on finding each day’s accoutrements!
This is a great idea. We are not this far along as we haven't really worked on outfits yet, but I'm definitely taking this advice. Of course, my daughter will think I'm ridiculous!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

After accessory selection, we put each day’s accessories IN a ziploc ON the hanger with the outfit she was wearing. Had to keep the last minute panics of, “omg where is my ....!?!” at bay. After the mind-numbing fog of war, *ahem* “recruitment”, sets in, we didn’t want her to waste any mental energy on finding each day’s accouterments!
This is exactly what we are doing next week! She has tried on everything and sent pics to grandma, aunt, and cousin (all same sorority at the same school as she is attending) to ask for their opinion. NOW....that being said....same sorority, same school....they (me included) have given the "open mind" speech and she has heard that!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone else's husband, that was in a fraternity, relaying their experience with getting their bid to DD and comparing experiences. My DH told my DD how he got his bid to his fraternity in the back room of the fraternity house and the rest is history! She said "Daddy....that doesn't help and again...it was the 80s!"

"sipping wine now"
Old 07-25-2018, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funinthesun View Post
This is a great idea. We are not this far along as we haven't really worked on outfits yet, but I'm definitely taking this advice. Of course, my daughter will think I'm ridiculous!
She may! But when her brain is f-r-i-e-d after Round 1, she may figure out her mom’s not so crazy after all!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose50 View Post
Anyone else's husband, that was in a fraternity, relaying their experience with getting their bid to DD and comparing experiences. My DH told my DD how he got his bid to his fraternity in the back room of the fraternity house and the rest is history! She said "Daddy....that doesn't help and again...it was the 80s!"

"sipping wine now"
I love how every generation thinks they invented everything, lol. Like when my son asked, “How do YOU know about LED Zeppelin!?!” (head, meet steering wheel)
Old 07-25-2018, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

We've done this with dance for years... baggie has "bun cover, gloves, earrings, tights", etc. as in whatever was supposed to go with costume and then just poke a hole with the hanger so it hangs at the top. DD and I already discussed she will be doing the same for recruitment, relieves so much stress, especially if they are pressed for time!