GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe
» Online Users: 1,152
3 members and 1,149 guests
austinyandxtz54, navane, Yodapolarisnupe

Old 06-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Tau Kappa Epsilon closes its house for the 2017-2018 school year:

http://onwardstate.com/2017/06/13/ta...8-school-year/
I can guarantee you that some of these improvements will include video surveillance.

Beta's problem was that they didn't have anyone reviewing the surveillance. In retrospect, reviewing the footage around the time of initiation in previous years might have been a good call.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-13-2017, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I can guarantee you that some of these improvements will include video surveillance.

Beta's problem was that they didn't have anyone reviewing the surveillance. In retrospect, reviewing the footage around the time of initiation in previous years might have been a good call.
Definitely. I wonder if this will lead to more and more Greek orgs installing cameras in their chapter houses across the country.

@~/~~~~
Old 06-13-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
As for the fraternities, this change isn't happening overnight. They have two years to prepare for this and change their live-in policies. If fraternity members really want their chapters to survive, they'll adapt and adjust. And everyone will be in the same boat, so there's no unfair advantage here. The chapters that suffer will be the ones who refuse to change.
Amen. If you aren't going to be committed, you aren't going to be a brother. Simple as that. I have a hard time seeing that as a bad thing.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
The problem with the shift is the ability to float financially. Housing contracts are typically committed in October of Freshman year for off campus housing Sophomore year. If rushing is deferred to Sophomore year, housing would potentially have to be made up of Juniors. There would be a required transition for members to transition to this new mind set. The incumbent sophomores would have to stay in the house for 2 years to let the system catch up. If this does not happen, and the house does not have time to recruit heavy for a sophomore class, the numbers won't work for a house to financially make it.

As for sororities, the same applies. Typically at least 90% pledge freshman year and live in sophomore year, moving off campus Jr year. If they can't pledge until Sophomore year, they won't be able to live in until Jr year. It creates a housing crisis for a few years which may make or break some chapters. Housing off campus is much more affordable. If they live off campus sophomore year and enjoy thousands of dollars reduction, it will be hard for parents to justify them moving back "on campus" to pay more into the sorority suites.
Actually, sororities live on campus in dorms in South Halls. Each sorority has a floor and a suite. From what I know, recruitment isn't as sophomore heavy as it used to be when I was at PSU but recruitment isn't like other schools. You can and will probably have a successful rush as a sophomore/junior. Given how most chapters at PSU have 150+ sisters and the average floor holds ~50 women in the rooms, the sororities won't have a problem.

The fraternities, depends on what they and their alumni corps do. I feel like from talking to other alumni, the changes will be grumbled about but in the end, will be successful.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Tau Kappa Epsilon closes its house for the 2017-2018 school year:

http://onwardstate.com/2017/06/13/ta...8-school-year/
"I'm stoked that we moved into the house! I know! Let's trash it!"

I'll never understand this mentality.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 06-14-2017, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

And someone from Nationals will be able to watch this footage remotely. Good times.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 06-14-2017, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Reported that after a trial day members were laughing and joking!

I am going WHAT THE HELL? What is wrong with these kids? A kid died and they did nothing to save him!

They are sad humans and a poor represntative of B T P!

Shame on them!!! I hope they all go to prison!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-16-2017, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=Tom Earp;2433902]Reported that after a trial day members were laughing and joking!

I read the same thing and felt awful for the the parents. However, to play devil's advocate, this was Mr. Piazza's impression that he shared with the media which has now been widely reported.

Keeping it in perspective that the accused and their parents were greeting each other and hugging, etc. it may have appeared that they were "acting like they were at a fraternity party." when in reality they were saying hello and commiserating about the shared hell that they must be living in.

Have you ever gone to a funeral and seen old friends then started catching up and smiling/laughing? Acting that way has nothing to do with the funeral proceedings. It is just natural to relax when you see someone that you are close to and/or haven't seen in awhile, even under adverse conditions.

I think the accused made poor choices the night of Feb 2. But I believe that now some of what is being said/shared with the media is being done to create public sympathy in light of future litigation.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=GreekOne;2434010]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post

I read the same thing and felt awful for the the parents. However, to play devil's advocate, this was Mr. Piazza's impression that he shared with the media which has now been widely reported.

Keeping it in perspective that the accused and their parents were greeting each other and hugging, etc. it may have appeared that they were "acting like they were at a fraternity party." when in reality they were saying hello and commiserating about the shared hell that they must be living in.

Have you ever gone to a funeral and seen old friends then started catching up and smiling/laughing? Acting that way has nothing to do with the funeral proceedings. It is just natural to relax when you see someone that you are close to and/or haven't seen in awhile, even under adverse conditions.

I think the accused made poor choices the night of Feb 2. But I believe that now some of what is being said/shared with the media is being done to create public sympathy in light of future litigation.
There is a huge difference in Celebrating a Members Life in Dead than going to Court on charges!

So, tell me they did wrong and let him die? Were they just that Friggen Stupid?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
This isn't unusual with people charged with a crime. Gallows humor is a thing.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-02-2017, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

A judge has thrown out manslaughter and assault charges against eight Penn State fraternity brothers in the hazing death of 19-year-old sophomore Tim Piazza,

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/penn-...174600995.html

p a w e a since 1899
Old 09-02-2017, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
A judge has thrown out manslaughter and assault charges against eight Penn State fraternity brothers in the hazing death of 19-year-old sophomore Tim Piazza,

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/penn-...174600995.html
It was for 8 of the 18 originally charged, but really?
Old 10-17-2017, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

And now there's this.

Suspended Penn State Fraternity Faces Underage Drinking Charges After Underage Women Are Hospitalized
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...451229223.html

@~/~~~~
Old 10-17-2017, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, the Oct. 23 issue of Time magazine has a long article about fraternities and hazing. There is a large picture of the Piazzas, holding a picture of their son, in the article.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Upsilon, Pi Lambda Phi Lose Recognition After Rule Violations
http://onwardstate.com/2017/10/29/de...le-violations/

Quote:
These two suspensions mark the seventh and eighth fraternities currently suspended, proving Penn State is here to play ball with its new regulations. Forty Interfraternity Council fraternities maintain their recognition at this time, according to the chapter directory released via the university’s new Greek Life Score Cards.

@~/~~~~