GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,569
0 members and 1,569 guests
No Members online

Old 08-16-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
So if the police are willing to arrest her for tresspassing wouldn't that prevent her from attending the chapter during recruitment?
Actually no. The first 2 rounds of recruitment aren't held in the chapter houses. Since she'd be cut after round 2 (when PNMs receive invites), it wouldn't even be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
What do you think about how they are handling it, KSUViolet.

Do you think Greek Life is just be cowardly?
I think everyone involved is doing what they can. Greek Life can't do anything except let her sign up and see what happens.

They have mentioned letting her assigned Rho Chi know ahead of time (before she meets her other PNMs) that Crying Girl will be in her group so she can call her a few extra times before rush starts so they can talk about her having rushed last year. This way the PX knows what she's dealing with and can assist her better when she is cut (by referring her to Health Services for counseling etc).

There are some alumnae who are specualting that she won't even stay at school this year if she doesn't get a bid. We'll just have to see how this turns out.

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2007, 09:22 PM

In case any of you are wondering about Crying Girl, she ended up withdrawing from recruitment after day one, but according to a PX who spoke to her, she plans to transfer to a smaller school in Ohio and try rush again because she feels like she'd have a better chance of getting a bid at somewhere smaller.

Honestly, the school itself is big, but Greek Life isn't. Our recruitment is not competitve at all. I don't think moving anywhere would change much. If she moves and still doesn't get a bid, I think it will just start the cycle all over again.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-20-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

PM me with her name......for some reason I think I know who it is, but I can't place her. I'm sure it'll make sense.

I agree with you....Kent has a very small greek system in comparison to it's size (Akron is also the same way) so I don't think her chances are going to get any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
In case any of you are wondering about Crying Girl, she ended up withdrawing from recruitment after day one, but according to a PX who spoke to her, she plans to transfer to a smaller school in Ohio and try rush again because she feels like she'd have a better chance of getting a bid at somewhere smaller.

Honestly, the school itself is big, but Greek Life isn't. Our recruitment is not competitve at all. I don't think moving anywhere would change much. If she moves and still doesn't get a bid, I think it will just start the cycle all over again.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:57 AM
GreekChat Member

After reading this entire thread and being so entertained I just felt like I need to contribute a little story of my own. (Its long... sorry!)

When i rushed there was this girls who came through recruitment with me, Sarah* and she was really cool, but i noticed that my sisters were very cold to her. I didn't see her on pref night.

After I got my bid i asked my sisters about Sarah and they told me that it was Sarah's second time rushing. The first time, the day before pref night one of our sisters Michelle* found out sarah had slept with her boyfriend. Michelle and Sarah had grown up in the same town and were pretty good friends. Some of the sisters were a little wary of Sarah but Michelle was pulling for her so hard. Michelle was an older sister, and everyone respected her so much that they decided to give Sarah a chance, but after all of the stuff between Sarah and Michelle's BF came out, everyone including Michelle was like OH NO about Sarah. I mean, who wants a person like that in their sorority?

So, next recruitment rolls around. Over the break i was on campus taking a class and sarah turned up in that class too. She says "Im really excited to rush. now that Michelle has graduated im sure ill get a bid. I know the girls didnt want the drama of me and her in the house at the same time"

I was like... ohhh... okay yeah. I felt like it was really presumptuous of her to think she was for sure going to get a bid but whatever. So she came through our recruitment and once again we cut her as soon as we could.

WELL... THIS IS WHEN ALL THE SH*T GOES DOWN!

she completely flipped out. she showed up our bid day (in the student union) crying and asking me why we cut her. I felt so awkward and finally Michelle (who was an alum and just came back to meet our new girls) come up and is like, its really inappropriate for you to be here and sarah completly loses it and starts cussing her out... like you b***** what do you have against me, so what if i f***ed your boyfriend get over it. im sorry my P****y is better than yours. Like seriously LEWD things. we were in shock. this was a very public place with many student/ professors/ other greeks around, and we were so embarrassed! our new member educator ushered our new girls away very quickly and we all left. and our president took sarah outside and told her to please leave us alone. Dphie is not for her and that she needs to find another home on campus and there are many great organizations still recruiting. Even though i seriously dont know who would have taken her after that scene. it was straight out of Flavor Of Love or something. I have never seen a woman act like that in person.

I see sarah around campus and she always looks the other way. Honestly, i think shes really embarrassed about how she acted, and honestly who wouldn't be????

Forever and Ever my love goes to Royal Purple and Pure Gold
Old 05-31-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepher4Life View Post
After reading this entire thread and being so entertained I just felt like I need to contribute a little story of my own. (Its long... sorry!)

When i rushed there was this girls who came through recruitment with me, Sarah* and she was really cool, but i noticed that my sisters were very cold to her. I didn't see her on pref night.

After I got my bid i asked my sisters about Sarah and they told me that it was Sarah's second time rushing. The first time, the day before pref night one of our sisters Michelle* found out sarah had slept with her boyfriend. Michelle and Sarah had grown up in the same town and were pretty good friends. Some of the sisters were a little wary of Sarah but Michelle was pulling for her so hard. Michelle was an older sister, and everyone respected her so much that they decided to give Sarah a chance, but after all of the stuff between Sarah and Michelle's BF came out, everyone including Michelle was like OH NO about Sarah. I mean, who wants a person like that in their sorority?

So, next recruitment rolls around. Over the break i was on campus taking a class and sarah turned up in that class too. She says "Im really excited to rush. now that Michelle has graduated im sure ill get a bid. I know the girls didnt want the drama of me and her in the house at the same time"

I was like... ohhh... okay yeah. I felt like it was really presumptuous of her to think she was for sure going to get a bid but whatever. So she came through our recruitment and once again we cut her as soon as we could.

WELL... THIS IS WHEN ALL THE SH*T GOES DOWN!

she completely flipped out. she showed up our bid day (in the student union) crying and asking me why we cut her. I felt so awkward and finally Michelle (who was an alum and just came back to meet our new girls) come up and is like, its really inappropriate for you to be here and sarah completly loses it and starts cussing her out... like you b***** what do you have against me, so what if i f***ed your boyfriend get over it. im sorry my P****y is better than yours. Like seriously LEWD things. we were in shock. this was a very public place with many student/ professors/ other greeks around, and we were so embarrassed! our new member educator ushered our new girls away very quickly and we all left. and our president took sarah outside and told her to please leave us alone. Dphie is not for her and that she needs to find another home on campus and there are many great organizations still recruiting. Even though i seriously dont know who would have taken her after that scene. it was straight out of Flavor Of Love or something. I have never seen a woman act like that in person.

I see sarah around campus and she always looks the other way. Honestly, i think shes really embarrassed about how she acted, and honestly who wouldn't be????
What's sad about this is I know a girl who would have done this FOR REAL! It's like they need to have some mental health staff on call for rejected members.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepher4Life View Post
it was straight out of Flavor Of Love or something.
OUCH.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter had an issue with a girl that we hopefully will not have again this year.

My first year on the "other side" she decided to go through. Her mother was an alum and had contacted the Student Life office to talk to the Greek Advisor. The girl apparently had some sort of social disorder and was awkward in social situations and her mother did not want that to hurt her, so we were duly warned.

Unfortunately it was not her problem that bothered us, but her personality. She tended to be very cocky, assuming she would get a bid because of her mom. She also was very, very whiny and almost, I hate to say it, bitchy. She was dropped from Recruitment. Her mother called, irate. It was explained that being a legacy does not guarantee a bid. She took it hard, but made it known she was interested in COBs. For whatever reason, we and other chapters managed to avoid that issue and she came to no parties.

However, next recruitment, there she is again. I was on Recruitment Team and we were warned. The advisor was genuinely concerened about the girl's mental health, because her mother had apparently advised the Student Life coordinator that she had been recently suicidal. We could not tell her not to participate. Our advisor told her honestly that she was not likely to get a bid based on last year's experience, but that if it was important to her to go through, she could. She did. Again, she was almost immediately dropped from every sorority on campus. Recruitment Team was scheduled to send members to talk to her, but the Student Life coordinator and called saying that it was not necessary, they were sending a mental health provider as she had become suicidal.

She was fixated on our chapter because of her mother and when we held COR's, sure enough, she showed up (without being invited). We were careful to keep our locations and times quiet after that, but she persisted in cornering a member in class every single day to ask her when the parties were. The member evaded when she could; because she was basically inactive that semester due to her school and job schedule, she missed most of the parties anyway and was honestly able to say she did not know when/where they were.

Apparently, according to the sister who shared a class with this girl, the girl dropped out of school soon afterward.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Let's bump this up!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this only sororities? Cause we had one in the Spring at my chapter.

We had a very similar case as the case from 2008 above. Won't go into specifics, but we were worried he'd kill himself if he didn't get a bid. Tried to present not getting a bid in a way where he can still have a social life (cause his did not exist before rush week). He went berserk when not getting a bid. Now we just use him as an example of how we should let kids know early on when they aren't getting a bid and not wait until the last day of Rush Week.

Last edited by jazing; 06-30-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

My senior year of college, there was a new girl on campus walking around in Phi Mu's letters. She was spotted wearing them in class, at campus food establishments, pretty much everywhere. Since she transferred from another school, we assumed she had initiated in through another chapter. Our president and rush chair approached her to tell her she needed to go through the correct process of affiliating with us, but turns out--she wasn't a Phi Mu at all. She had a relative who was, though, and had taken one of her old jerseys. Liking the way our letters looked, she decided to invest in a couple of more jerseys.

Well, after the encounter with our president and rush chair, the girl did stop wearing our letters in public. That winter, though, IIKA had their annual Pike's Peak fundraiser, which was a week of sorority competitions. The final event was the Miss Pike's Peak contest--and the not-really-a-Phi-Mu- girl entered! She billed herself as "Miss Independent." For her talent competition, she recited a poem. It was one of those really bizarre ones like 'pansy's grow in the kitchen sink/yes, I hate my mother/she IS that pansy standing over the sink...WEIRD stuff!!!! I vividly recall her saying the poem was written by her favorite author of all time -- herself.

Very strange chick, that one.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it would represent the organization in a better light if someone didn't tell her to "go away" like a few others here suggested. I know this is an old post and the people involved have graduated, but maybe for other organizations and active members who have this problem it would be better if someone would start inviting her to go to the library for study hours or see if they have classes with the girl. It would improve her grades if she had a study buddy probably and from the sound of it she has friends in the organization so she can't be that terrible of a person. I think explaining that only initiated sisters can wear letters would also be appropriate, but I don't think it needs to be confrontational. I think it's a huge part of the Greek system that members mentor non-Greeks. It gives both people involved a chance to foster a friendship and it certainly won't look bad for the organization if a non-Greek sees us as leaders or inspiration in their own life.

Just my two cents....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Hey guys! Just your friendly neighborhood New Member w/ another question.Anybody ever met a PNM or friend who was just a little too overzealous about your sorority? Or a PNM who stalked you or something. One of my sis (active) has a friend who has COB'd here @ Sigma and been cut 3 times.

She was cut for grades each time. She's best friends w/ a sis so she's around all the time, which is fine. But she refers to herself as "an honorary Sigma" and even asks to wear our date party shirts, etc.

She was at the house the day of our carwash and my sis said she almost blew a gasket when her friend came out to help wash cars in HER bid day letters!!! She even wont go out w/ some of us, b/c "drinking whether you're in letters or not disrespects Sigma" She says she wants to "represent us well".

Being new, I actually thought she was a sister. She was @ Sigma everytime I was, and talked about our events more than some sisters did, and even cried talking about how "jealous" she was of me and my pledge sis.

Anybody else have an experience w/someone who is just a bit too obsessed with your org (to the point of weird behavior)?
I will be my whole life long"
Old 07-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Some of these girls clearly had mental problems and the last thing untrained girls need to do is give similar people encouragement. The PNMs would see it as a sign that they were surely going to get bids and might begin to come over to the houses even more.

I knew a girl who rushed a few years back and she definitely had problems. No one bid her and she went ballistic. The president of the college she attended begged a group under quota to take her and after a few days, they gave in. My daughter and I, who had both no-recced the girl because of what we'd seen her do, later met someone from that chapter. She told us that the girl had physically attacked members and gone on screaming binges and generally put the chapter through hell before being forced to depledge.

Mentoring is great but is best done under the auspices of organizations who can supervise it.These people discussed here certainly need some kind of professional help before they join a GLO and possibly tear it to shreds.

It sounds all cozy and warm to think of helping others but in this day and age, we all need to protect ourselves. There are other ways to be leaders and impact lives positively that don't put our organizations at risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAM<3 Always View Post
I think it would represent the organization in a better light if someone didn't tell her to "go away" like a few others here suggested. I know this is an old post and the people involved have graduated, but maybe for other organizations and active members who have this problem it would be better if someone would start inviting her to go to the library for study hours or see if they have classes with the girl. It would improve her grades if she had a study buddy probably and from the sound of it she has friends in the organization so she can't be that terrible of a person. I think explaining that only initiated sisters can wear letters would also be appropriate, but I don't think it needs to be confrontational. I think it's a huge part of the Greek system that members mentor non-Greeks. It gives both people involved a chance to foster a friendship and it certainly won't look bad for the organization if a non-Greek sees us as leaders or inspiration in their own life.

Just my two cents....
Old 07-01-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
Is this only sororities? Cause we had one in the Spring at my chapter.
Oh heavens no, there are guys out there who can get straight up nutty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAM<3 Always View Post

Just my two cents....
As you said, this is a very old post. The sister who was best friends with her needed to do all that, NOT the rest of the sorority. My guess is that the girl was clingy and the sister in question liked having the rest of the sorority around to "diffuse" her clinginess. And ditto what carnation said, you never know when someone is going to go full on whackadoo.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

It's been stated that these people have mental problems. But I hate this whole people going around threatening to kill themselves. From my personal experience it seems that people at risk to actually commit suicide don't tell anyone generally. Or at least are pretty discreet about it. Those that go around saying it just want attention.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

[/QUOTE]As you said, this is a very old post. The sister who was best friends with her needed to do all that, NOT the rest of the sorority. My guess is that the girl was clingy and the sister in question liked having the rest of the sorority around to "diffuse" her clinginess. And ditto what carnation said, you never know when someone is going to go full on whackadoo.[/QUOTE]

I agree that it should be the girls friend and not the entire chapter. I didn't mean to imply that the whole chapter should be involved but it seems the girl in the first situation just really was looking to make friends. This might sound crazy, but there are still huge populations of girls who go to college without know anyone in a sorority (or anything about them) so the only thing they see are the websites and what the chapters are like in the first few days. If she's seeing photos and hearing propaganda she developed an image of what they would want in their organization and is just trying to fit in.

As for the girls who need mental help, I didn't read the entire thread so that's probably obvious in some situations.
I will be my whole life long"