GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,538
1 members and 1,537 guests
oncegreek

Old 04-04-2000, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

SilverTurtle,

I can see your point, to find the definition of FRAT we could ask a non-greek, but then their argument is one sided, but then again, I suppose ours is too.

Q-T-PIE,

I think you are right, the media can be a big influence over the public, and they definatly have a tendency to over exagerate our party life. I believe that the media is a big part of why fraternities and sororities are looked upon the way they are. I think that the actual word fraternity is looked at much more highly once actually initiated into the fraternity. It means more to the person. It's not just a brotherhood anymore, it's their brotherhood that they are a part of. They studied about it, they helped with community service, they were on the inside. I think that it's meaning is much higher once you are a member, that is why it seems so much more of an insult to call it a frat to a fraternity brother. I think that is really what it boils down to. It's a bond that nobody will ever understand until they have actually experienced it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-04-2000, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Mgdzkm433
I definitely see your point now. I guess I never really thought that much in to it, but I can now understand how frat can be offensive.

Allison

------------------
A mistake at least proves that somebody stopped talking long enough to do something.
~ Anonymous
Old 04-11-2000, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

with BGLO the word frat is a term of of endearment (where have u heard this before)
amongst members. So as if your a sigma such as my self, endearingly i might say "Frat let's go blase blase". NOw other greeks can't call u frat becuz your not members of the same org.