GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,202
1 members and 2,201 guests
No Members online

Old 08-17-2000, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Rush starts on Aug 19th

Hi everybody! I have a couple of questions about rush.... 1) I am curious to know whether you guys think that it is better to rush freshman, or sophomore year....do sororities discriminate against sophomores? I am a freshman but I just want to know. Also is anyone out there rushing at UF?

------------------
Forget your troubles, C'mon get happy...
-Judy Garland
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-18-2000, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm rushing (again) at UF as a sophomore. I declined a bid last year from a chapter that at the time, I felt I could never fit in with.
It was easy to rush as a freshman despite the pool of 1300+ rushees. I hope that rushing as a sophomore will also be alright, since I have met more people in various chapters, and have been able to see past the stereotypes and rumored reputation that plagued the incoming freshman class. I know it will be a little difficult since the chapters tend to prefer freshmen who have four year active potential. I do know of some sophomores from my rush group last year who got into their number one choice from the very beginning.

My recommendation...rush as a freshman and if things don't work out you can always rush again.
My advice...don't believe the rumors about the chapters(prettiest, coolest, losers, 'fast' etc.) each chapter has a little bit of everyone in it.

Best of Luck and GO GATORS
Nancy
Old 08-18-2000, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

i have never heard of a school or NPC sorority that would PREFER sophomores and above.... i would be surprised if waiting till sophomore year would HELP your chances, but it could easily HURT your chances. younger pledges are more desirable, from the financial standpoint alone. if you're pretty sure that greek life is for you, i see no point or benefit in waiting an extra year before rushing & pledging.
Old 08-19-2000, 02:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I guess it really depends on your school. Rushing as a sophomore at my school, or even a junior wouldn't hurt your chances. Older graduating students are always replaced by incoming students, so no problem. But greek life is very small where I pledged, so that might make the difference.

If you are rushing as a sophomore, there are definite advantages that you, as an individual, can play off of when you rush. You understand college life and its time commitment. With your first year of college, you have become more mature. You have proved that you can maintain a decent GPA in college. Etc, etc. If you do rush as a sophomore, these are points in your favor.