GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,193
3 members and 2,190 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 01-15-2010, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

My gpa for spring rush

Ok so I couldn't do fall rush because of the week of rush my mother died. Also during this past fall semester I lung problems and had to go to the hospital extensively. Atleast 3 times a week for hours. Now do to these things my gpa suffered I got a 2.2. My high school gpa was good and I had a 3.6. Do fraternities look at my college gpa or college. Or both. Should I explain my circumstances to them. I'm rather apprehensive to do this because I don't want them to think I'm using my issues to help me get a bid. I'm rushing an IFC fraternity at an sec school. Basically I'm wondering if I have a chance to get a bid.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-15-2010, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry for you troubles.

In my chapter we would look at your first semester GPA, but this might not be the case for this fraternity. Ask the chapter which way they do it. Don't worry about making excuses because if you don't make the minimum requirement you're not going to get a bid reagrdless of their sympathy. Again, don't worry about asking the people who can give you a clear answer.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I am very sorry for your loss and your health situation in the past few months. That being said, I iwll try to be delicate.

From what I understand, rush in all SEC schools is extremely competitive. The houses will look at your college GPA... it IS too bad that you can't explain your circumstances. You could get along with a house SO SO well and they could love you as well, but they could be bound by their stated minimum GPA that they couldn't take you.

Honestly, I would take the next semester to recuperate, put your nose down, and have a fantastic semester grade-wise. Then, when you rush a bit later, you will have a better (if still low) GPA, but at least then you can explain why it's on the lower end of the spectrum.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school, we look at the previous semester's GPA. So if high school was your last semester, there you go. For a situation like yours, we would not be able to extend you a bid. I imagine fraternities at an SEC school would honor that highly. Just take this semester to get your grades back where they need to be so you can, of course, stay in school, and then look into joining a fraternity. It sounds like you really do need this semester to just focus on yourself. Just blow them out of the water with your grades next semester instead of facing a bunch of let downs this semester.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
The houses will look at your college GPA...
We never did. Never thought to see if any of the other houses did though.

GPA's can be fixed. Class can't.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 01-15-2010, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice. I expected those answers. I think I'll go through rush anyway just to see what the houses are like
Old 02-13-2010, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

If a fraternity wants you to join they will still offer you a bid. You can go through the pledge process but they cannot initiate you until your GPA goes up. The good news is that they won't make you go through the pledge process again, usually.