GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,104
1 members and 1,103 guests
No Members online

Old 01-03-2002, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Roxy, you're so cute! I am sure that with your wonderful attitude, you will do well in open recruitment. I wish you nothing but the best!
Old 01-03-2002, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to roxydiva
sue-- today and tomorrow are the 12 party days, you can go back to a maximum of 12 houses, or however many you got back, but of course, with IU you have to go back to that many houses, or however many you got back. no picking and choosing here!!! saturday is 6 party, and sunday is 3 party (pref day) then monday night is bid night. hope that helps some!

valkyrie--thanks dont know why my attitude wasnt good enough to get me more than 2 houses back, but ah well!!! it happens, and im a firm believer in the idea that things happen for a reason.

roxydiva
Old 01-03-2002, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
I have no problem with you deciding not to go back, but I just want to add some insight.
Chi O was 5/7 after the first day for me. They worked their way up as the week went on, and I'd have hated life if I'd gone anywhere else.
Just like that girl getting invited back to your fav, but her not liking them, there's probably someone who's very envious of you because they'd die to become a Alpha Gam or ADII.
I hope you're happy and maybe give it another chance.
Heidi
Old 01-03-2002, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Because I have never been through a Rush, I guess I have a question: what is the advantage of dropping out of Rush now, rather than dropping out at the end, if any? Does it make any difference with one's chances during open recruitment?

BTW, I do agree with you totally HeidiHo because my experience was a little bit similar. Sometimes organizations select US because they need our insight, our spirit, our experiences. If I had looked only for the organization I thought would be the best fit for my own personality, I would probably have looked toward a different organization initially. Instead, I looked for women I could respect, an organization in whose principles I could believe, and a sorority that could best utilize my strengths while challenging me to cultivate new strengths outside my normal comfort zone.

Then again, if I knew that I would be bitter and miserable to my new sisters because I only wanted to join ABC, XYZ or EFG, but joined HIJ because that's all there was, I probably would not pursue membership any further.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Roxydiva,
I have been following your story on here and you seem to me like a really awesome girl. Those sororities dont know what they were missing out on! But still, you were so psyched about doing rush so in my opinion I think that you should follow through. You never know what could happen. So many people go through the first round of rush and only want xyz or abc but realize they were meant to be def. If you've already started, you should go back atleast once. Maybe you'll meet girls this day that you connect with and you just didnt realize cause you really wanted the other houses.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:02 PM

Roxy, I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out during formal rush. Definitely do open recruitment - so many of us, including myself, have found our sisterhoods that way. Good luck, and keep us posted
Old 01-03-2002, 09:22 PM

Roxy, I'm sorry things didn't work out for you during formal. Although I might have gone to the parties just to get the free food I know you did what you felt in your heart was right.

I think the "wait over break" thing at IU does have merit - you get to think about it and not rush into it. But on the other hand, it is totally brutal to make people fly back from states away to come back to nothing. A lot of people work and visit family over break. It's wrong to take a week away from them if they have no clue what they are coming back to. I had assumed that if you got no invites back, the Panhel was considerate enough to inform you before you hauled your butt back to campus.
Old 01-03-2002, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking do it to it

do what you need to do..
sounds to me that you would be a terrific asset to any goup...
just don't back down...
happy new year sweetie
mmcat
Old 01-03-2002, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
Roxy,
Don't worry about not getting invited back. Take this chance as an opportunity to show these girls that you are really interested. Go to their open bid parties, and be yourself. I'm not sure how many girls are going through rush, but being on the other side, i know that it can be overwhelming for the sisters to remember everyone. So, I suggest that you go back once the semester starts and try again. Also, try meeting sisters in classes and stuff and make friends with a few different girls, first. This will get you farther, in my opinion.

Anyway, good luck! I've been in a similar situation, and its rough right now, but I promise it will get better!
Old 01-03-2002, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Quote:
Originally posted by Shelacious
...I looked for women I could respect, an organization in whose principles I could believe, and a sorority that could best utilize my strengths while challenging me to cultivate new strengths outside my normal comfort zone.
VERY well said Shelacious!

One of the reasons going thru to the end of rush and then dropping out is not preferable is because if she signs a pref card and receives a bid and then rejects it-- she will not be eligible for informal/open recruitment.

Amy
Old 01-04-2002, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Roxy,
I hope that you decide to go through open bidding. With so many sororities out there, I am certain that you will find one that is a perfect fit. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2002, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

COB is really a great opportunity to meet sisters in a more natural setting without a strict party agenda. I think it would be worth your time to give it a shot...you may just find the perfect fit!
Old 01-04-2002, 09:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
With a campus as large as IU and a greek system of similar size, I would hope that most sororities are hitting ceiling through formal recruitment. If that's the case, I worry that Roxy may end up with fewer choices. But in any case Roxy, you do what you need to, and we'll all still support you

Keep your chin up!
Old 01-04-2002, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh no Roxy, it sounds like rush has gone for the worst?

I go to Indiana University and I understand what Roxy is going through...of sorts. I have had a great number of friends drop out of rush early because they didnt get the house that they wanted.

Roxy is right about IU's sorority rush being brutal. It's extremely competitive and less then half of the girls going through actually get bids!

I'm also going to sound a bit superficial...but I sort of understand her motives for not going to the two houses that invited her back. Some would say that
AGD and ADPi respectively have the lowest repuatations on the sorority "social ladder". Does it mean that they are bad houses?

NO, some of my best friends are in both and they are both a lot of fun. Its just that in a huge greek system with 19 big houses, someone has to be last.

I personally reccommend taking a second look at AGD. They have improved tremendously in the past 2 years and their girls are a lot of fun. They're no where near as bad as some houses would like you to think.

And then again, if you want to wait until open recruitment (I think that's what its called, I'm a guy so I dont know all of the complex sorority lingo), I say go for it, with the open mind that you are taking a chance. So many girls cut themselves during rush from an organization based on its social reputation and from meeting 50 million girls at a 30 minute "party". Im not saying that this is the case with you, I'm just saying what I've seen in the past.

Because of Pan Hel's super strict rules, a lot of houses were a girl or two shy of making quota...some even more. I have had friends who got cut from rush and get into great houses later. It will probably be safe to say that at least 3 houses will still be under quota at the end of women's recruitment. I wouldnt give up yet though. Greek life at IU is so much fun!

If you still have the chance, I say go for it!

XP2k
Old 01-04-2002, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amycat412

One of the reasons going thru to the end of rush and then dropping out is not preferable is because if she signs a pref card and receives a bid and then rejects it-- she will not be eligible for informal/open recruitment.

Amy
Thanks so much Amy...that's exactly what I was wondering!