GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,370
0 members and 2,370 guests
No Members online

Old 03-31-2004, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MTSUGirlie
Question Upper Classmen

Hello everyone. I am planning on rushing during the upcoming fall semester. However, I am an upper classman. I have been told it is a lot harder to receive a bid because of that. Is that true for all schools and sororities? If anyone has any suggestions or words of encouragement, I would love to hear it.

Thanks
MTSUGirlie
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-31-2004, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Realistically...

It really all depends on the university and the number of women who are coming through recruitment.

If there are large numbers of PNMs, the sororities can be more selective. In this case, Freshman are preferred over upperclassmen because they represent 4 consistent years of dues and participation.

At a southern school, this is especially true. DO go through recruitment, though. Keep an open mind, be yourself, smile and play up your strengths. Expect to be cut by houses just because you are an upperclassman, but don't let this expectation ruin your chances at being happy and yourself.

Being cut is not a measure of who you are as a human being. If a sorority is hell-bent on recruiting only underclassmen members, that is their goal and who they want. It doesn't mean you haven't made a good impression or that they don't like you.

Yes, SOME Panhellenics only count freshmen in their quota numbers, and juniors/seniors are "free." This is not the norm, and again, it depends on the school.

Keep a positive attitude. Make friends with sorority members now. If you have friends in the chapters, you have an edge over other upperclassmen.

As an upperclassman at a southern school, it IS going to be harder to receive a bid. Keep an open mind and take a bid to a place that may not be your first choice, if it is offered to you. Do COB if you are cut from formal recruitment. If you really want it, have a whatever-it-takes attitude.

You will hear stories from many women who ended up in a chapter that wasn't top on their list... and years later, they are proud of their letters and their sisters, and wouldn't have had it any other way.

Just go through it, and COB if formal doesn't go your way. Also, don't discount the fabulous locals that may be on your campus, or pre-professional or interest GLO's like SAI or Phi Alpha Delta! Explore every option!

Last edited by adpiucf; 03-31-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

It's true that southern schools are more competitive as far as class ranking for recruitment goes. But we pledged 4 wonderfull juniors last fall, so definitely give recruitment a try!
Old 03-31-2004, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

MTSU sort of splits itself in half on this. Some chapters will accept upperclassmen and some won't... There's really not a hard and fast rule.

But, MTSU is different from Ole Miss, Auburn, Bama, etc. in that it is not NEARLY as competitive.

I have only been on the chapter side of rush at MTSU. So if you want to know what it's like from a PNM's standpoint, talk to MTSUGURL.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey girl!

Yes, rush is definitely harder here as an upperclassman. It's not impossible to receive a bid, just harder. I've been told that juniors and seniors are not free here. (kinda sucks, but oh well. ) Be realistic and realize that you will be cut by some chapters, but don't let that get in your way of forming new friendships with girls in those chapters.

BUT... that being said -

RECRUITMENT IS FUN! Definitely go through. Just remember to be all about meeting people and making friends anywhere you go. BE OPEN to chapters you're not sure if you'd consider. Enjoy yourself, be at ease, be confident, and be GENUINE. I remember meeting girls in my rush group that were only nice to the groups they wanted to receive a bid from. They got cut right away, freshmen or no, because they were being obviously fake. Be prepared to love everyone, and DON'T listen to any stereotypes or negative opinions of chapters from anyone.

Like adpiucf said, make friends with sorority members now. But again, be genuine. Get your recs in order so that you have another edge.

One of my favorite groups during rush has accepted upperclassmen in the past. I didn't have the grades to go back.
Work on that GPA and things are much easier. The group that I pm'd you about has accepted upperclassmen. I know a few of the other groups have, but not sure which ones.

Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about which ones do. Go to each one and let your personality and accomplishments shine... enjoy EVERY chapter! Speaking from experience, there are spectacular girls in every chapter, and some of my best friends this year are girls I met during rush.

Oh BTW - we're holding recruitment right after and we do take upperclassmen...
Old 04-04-2004, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RosmaPomia
Oh please don't get discouraged!! I rushed as a junior and got cut hard but it worked out because I got my number one choice. It will be tough but please don't let it discourage you. Good Luck and I'll be rooting for you!!
Old 04-06-2004, 02:47 AM

It really does depend on the school.
At some large SEC schools, anyone older than a freshman stands little chance.

Here @ Kent, it's common for half a sororities' NM class to be sophomores. (I am a Soph who just joined).

I wouldn't worry about it though. If you have good qualities, it shouldn't matter.

Good luck

JocelynC

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Please try it! It is harder being an upperclass woman but it can totally be done. I did it and I was given the privilege of joining the sorority that I really really wanted to join. I have never regreted any of the decisions I made in regard to rushing as a sophmore even though I was cut by 3/4 of the sororities on my campus after the first round.

War Eagle
Old 04-06-2004, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MTSUGirlie
Not Giving Up

I just want to thank all of you for your wonderful advice and support. I am not going to give up nor am I going to get discouraged. I am hoping for the best through all of this. I am still planning on rushing during the fall semester. I spoke with my cousin who is an ADPi at UT Knoxville and she said it will be the best decision I could have ever made. I do believe that and I cannot wait until rush. Thanks again and I will keep you guys posted.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm going to be a first year senior and hopefully, my GPA will be above a 3.0.