GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Psi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,563
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, VickiWhita
» Online Users: 1,148
2 members and 1,146 guests
Sen's Revenge, TLLK

Old 04-25-2006, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Kross Kolor Disses

I was thinking after I posted on marquise 1911's thread about these shirts. I had a question to all my greeks, but especially my NUPEs. What is the deal with people and these diss shirts? A few examples are......

1. The lame NOPE shirts

2. People putting there letters in different orgs colors
(i.e. A Zeta walks around with a pink and green shirt that says Z phi B, and on the back, we look good in any color)

Ya'll, this has to stop. It's ugly, and on top of that u disrespect yourself and your letters.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-25-2006, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Kross Kolor Disses

Quote:
Originally posted by Cain
I was thinking after I posted on marquise 1911's thread about these shirts. I had a question to all my greeks, but especially my NUPEs. What is the deal with people and these diss shirts? A few examples are......

1. The lame NOPE shirts

(i.e. A Zeta walks around with a pink and green shirt that says Z phi B, and on the back, we look good in any color)

Ya'll, this has to stop. It's ugly, and on top of that u disrespect yourself and your letters.

I agree. I think it is a mess. Just like the step show/coming-out show disses. I think that people are concerned with the wrong thing. I'm glad to know that when you go out to purchase 'nalia for your organization that you are really thinking deeply about AKA. Trust and believe, AKA is not thinking about you. People who do that are what's really wack right now.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Right on Bruh. If they hate then let them hate. I just think it's lame that it has to get printed on t-shirts and that's what my beef is...
= Because you're a semester too late
= Because you love to imitate
Old 04-25-2006, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

So, question, not to veer the topic. So, people think that it is lame to put it on shirts, but it is ok to use your coming out show, when you have your prime time audience to mention the recent beef? That confuses me, what is the difference? Both methods require effort/energy. Where is the line? It's like folks are saying

"It is lame NOT to address people who've dissed you"

"It is lame to print t-shirts"

"It is lame to mention it at your coming out show"

Whats up with that? Marquise asked the question in the other thread...where is the line?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SKEEphistAKAte
So, question, not to veer the topic. So, people think that it is lame to put it on shirts, but it is ok to use your coming out show, when you have your prime time audience to mention the recent beef? That confuses me, what is the difference? Both methods require effort/energy. Where is the line? It's like folks are saying

"It is lame NOT to address people who've dissed you"

"It is lame to print t-shirts"

"It is lame to mention it at your coming out show"

Whats up with that? Marquise asked the question in the other thread...where is the line?
I was just thinking about this re: "fake rape" vs. "mother/father t-shirts." Unfortunate.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

to me it is more disturbing b/c it says to me a few things:

we have immature, wannabes joining or we have immature wannabes teaching the neos and they don't fully believe in/understand their orgs principles.

many of the people that join lack the creativity to make their orgs look better without having to down others.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Re: Kross Kolor Disses

Quote:
Originally posted by Cain

1. The lame NOPE shirts

I agree. I think this younger group has lost focus on what our orgs were founded for. When I first crossed, all I saw was Delta. Why the hayle would I want to put someone else's colors on or diss someone else? I love mine too much to down someone else's. I just don't get it.

It's a jungle out there.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Kross Kolor Disses

Quote:
Originally posted by mulattogyrl
I agree. I think this younger group has lost focus on what our orgs were founded for. When I first crossed, all I saw was Delta. Why the hayle would I want to put someone else's colors on or diss someone else? I love mine too much to down someone else's. I just don't get it.

Co- to-the-sign (with AKA in place of "Delta" )
Old 04-25-2006, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Kross Kolor Disses

Quote:
Originally posted by SKEEphistAKAte
Co- to-the-sign (with AKA in place of "Delta" )
Ditto.

enigma_AKA
Old 04-25-2006, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

The "new" group...
I have seen over the years how the students in HS behave and how their character/integrity almost ceases to exist. These students go on to matriculate on college campuses and eventually join our orgs with the same issues, plus more.

Having to work with HSers EVERYDAY AND deal with UGs IS TOO MUCH! It's like it's one in the same. That's why my days of dealing with the UGs are OVA! I'm too old for it. It's a new day and I don't like some things that go on, nor do I like the lack of integrity/character of some individuals. I've witnessed the dissing.. A few of us wanted to take it back a few years, but realized we had to serve as models to our UGs who had a diss free show.

I'm not going to have a coronary b/c of someone's daughter or son...Soror, Frat,Delta, Zeta, SigmaGammaRho, Kappa, DeltaZeta, HaterPhiOrg or GDI.

On that note...what do the graduate advisors say about all of this "beefing" and the criss crossing of colors? Is that another thread?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91

On that note...what do the graduate advisors say about all of this "beefing" and the criss crossing of colors? Is that another thread?

Maybe, but I will answer.

As a former grad advisor, sometimes it is hard to police *everything* the UGs do. I tried and it only caused stress and tension between me and 'my girls'.

They thought they should do what they wanted and how they wanted because they were ~grown~ . We had many a tense meeting with me trying to explain and educate them on what to do and what not to do with respect to SGR. Basically, I told them if they are in letters, then they *must* represent the sorority well. If they are out and not wearing letters / representing the sorority, then do whatever.

I know, I know....as a member one is always repping the org, but I had to find a compromise. I got to the point where I realized that if their parents aren't going to do anything, then they are certainly not going to listen to me. I think that is the key to a successful UG chapter - parental involvement. On a side-side note, if I had to do it all over again I would have made an effort to contact the parents and get them involved.

But, back on topic.....

As far as the dissing goes, it needs to stop. It's low class. By right, an advisor should preview and approve or disapprove any public act that the UG chapter will present.

As far as the colors go, I'll tolerate it, but not do it myself. To me it just looks weird to see one orgs letters in another orgs colors. Again, these UGs are usually ~ 18 so you really can't make them do anything, but just hope that they understand and practice the training you give.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I came in this thread confused like nobody's business. The fake rape, the dissing/fighting in shows and now these cross color shirts.....a hot mess, just a hot mess.

Ditto SKEEphistAKAte & Mulattogyrl....Same here. When I crossed Zeta was my only concern. That is just out and out disrespectful to wear another orgs. colors like that. Really no one should have to tell you that. And a 'NOPE' shirt? No wonder orgs are fighting.

I really do not understand the need to take it there.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I hear everyone, and I agree. But to the Kappas that have posted, don't think your frat haven't done their fair share of dissing, too. When that "Nope" shirt was initially done it was stated on another MB a while ago that it was in retaliation for something the Kappas had done to the Sigmas on that yard.

So bottom line, lame begets lame, and we ALL need to stop.

BTW, those xyz look good in any color first came out 30 years ago and EVERY sorority thought they were cute, bought them and wore them like wildfire (yes, I even had one in pink and green,) until our respective HQs sent the message that we should not disrespect out sistergreeks like that. Between that and maturity (which I think AKA2d referred to), folx stopped buying them. So I was surprised to see them resurface.

Also back then there didn't seem to be this hardcore issue of when and where to wear letters, the sanctity of our colors, what to put on crossing jackets, should we loan folx our umbrellas with our letters on them, should frats give their girlfriends their jackets when she gets cold, etc. that there is now. And very honestly, except for the latter two I am happy to see it.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!

Last edited by ladygreek; 04-26-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91

To add to your question I would like to know what their prophytes have to say about all the "beefing", t'shirt "yelling" and criss crossing colors mess? To answer my own question I bet they are too busy trying to make sure they get their own t-shirt order in . I say this because I believe prophytes have a more powerful influence on the actions of neos than anyone else. When I was a neo I was my own person but when it came to Delta matters I did as my prophytes did because in my eyes they set the example of what was and was not acceptable in my chapter. So if you have a neo running around making disrespectful remarks about other greeks and wearing a DST t-shirt in pink and green or an AKA t-shirt in crimson and cream you best believe if you look around her prophyte is nearby cheering her on!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MightyQuinn
To add to your question I would like to know what their prophytes have to say about all the "beefing", t'shirt "yelling" and criss crossing colors mess? To answer my own question I bet they are too busy trying to make sure they get their own t-shirt order in . I say this because I believe prophytes have a more powerful influence on the actions of neos than anyone else. When I was a neo I was my own person but when it came to Delta matters I did as my prophytes did because in my eyes they set the example of what was and was not acceptable in my chapter. So if you have a neo running around making disrespectful remarks about other greeks and wearing a DST t-shirt in pink and green or an AKA t-shirt in crimson and cream you best believe if you look around her prophyte is nearby cheering her on!
MightyQuinn, I applaud you because you hit the nail right on the head. Prophytes have the most influence. Alot of the foolishness I've seen over the years has been mostly due to ignorant prophytes making ignorant members. But then again it goes to in general how people are being made these days.