GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,423
1 members and 1,422 guests
bjenzdarka5720

Old 10-27-2007, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

New Mexico State U. Closes Sigma Alpha Epsilon Chapter; Appeal Expected

New Mexico State University has de-recognized and closed the campus chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon. Several recent incidents, including alleged underage drinking, damage to the house, etc., contributed to the closure. An appeal is expected. According to the article in the Saturday, October 27 online issue of the Las Cruces paper, one question is whether the entire chapter should have been sanctioned, or whether sanctions should have been applied to individuals instead:

http://www.lcsun-news.com/news/ci_7295346

Brief excerpts:

Scott Moore, dean of students, said the charter was revoked Thursday and the fraternity members living in the "Greek Row" home on the NMSU campus would be moved out.

The fraternity said it would appeal.

. . . Brandon Weghorst, an SAE spokesman for the national headquarters near Chicago, said he has encouraged local members to appeal.

. . . Weghorst said individuals should have been held accountable rather than sanctioning the entire chapter.

He did not know if any action would be taken against certain members. Weghorst said that would be determined following the national organization's own investigation. . . . .
Old 10-30-2007, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
According to what is being reported around town they had vandalized parts of the Gila National Forrest. Burnt some bark off of tree and burnt chairs and other stuff. Have not heard anything else about it.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 10-30-2007, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
New Mexico State University has de-recognized and closed the campus chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon. Several recent incidents, including alleged underage drinking, damage to the house, etc., contributed to the closure. An appeal is expected. According to the article in the Saturday, October 27 online issue of the Las Cruces paper, one question is whether the entire chapter should have been sanctioned, or whether sanctions should have been applied to individuals instead:

http://www.lcsun-news.com/news/ci_7295346

Brief excerpts:

Scott Moore, dean of students, said the charter was revoked Thursday and the fraternity members living in the "Greek Row" home on the NMSU campus would be moved out.

The fraternity said it would appeal.

. . . Brandon Weghorst, an SAE spokesman for the national headquarters near Chicago, said he has encouraged local members to appeal.

. . . Weghorst said individuals should have been held accountable rather than sanctioning the entire chapter.

He did not know if any action would be taken against certain members. Weghorst said that would be determined following the national organization's own investigation. . . . .

I was wondering when this was going to happen, a buddy of mine is SAE and just so happened to pledge their, he'd tell me stories about how their was basically no control over anything. Also I guess New Mexico has no state laws on hazing, is that correct if anyone knows?

In Hoc
"George Bush"
Old 10-30-2007, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flirt5721 View Post
According to what is being reported around town they had vandalized parts of the Gila National Forrest. Burnt some bark off of tree and burnt chairs and other stuff. Have not heard anything else about it.
The Las Cruces paper reports on the alleged vandalism at the national forest:

http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_7314074
Old 10-30-2007, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnukur View Post
I was wondering when this was going to happen, a buddy of mine is SAE and just so happened to pledge their, he'd tell me stories about how their was basically no control over anything. Also I guess New Mexico has no state laws on hazing, is that correct if anyone knows?

In Hoc
"George Bush"

New Mexico does have state laws on hazing. I just don't think that they are as strict as other states.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flirt5721 View Post
New Mexico does have state laws on hazing. I just don't think that they are as strict as other states.
New Mexico is one of the few states that does NOT have a anti-hazing law:
http://www.jour.unr.edu/interactive/..._newmexico.htm

However, if they did some thing on Federal property, that may be a whole different matter.

Very bad week for SAE
Old 10-30-2007, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HONKY660
Wow thats pretty sad, if I recall SAE used to have one of the strongest chapters there on campus a while back when I used to visit. The list of things against the chapter seem to be stacking up against them real quickly within the past week. Some of the same events happened to our Lambda Chi chapter there at NMSU back in '98 during homecoming week. We have since returned to campus and are doing well again, hope the same for SAE.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONKY660 View Post
Wow thats pretty sad, if I recall SAE used to have one of the strongest chapters there on campus a while back when I used to visit. The list of things against the chapter seem to be stacking up against them real quickly within the past week. Some of the same events happened to our Lambda Chi chapter there at NMSU back in '98 during homecoming week. We have since returned to campus and are doing well again, hope the same for SAE.

Last edited by flirt5721; 09-29-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to manda_sai_kz Send a message via Yahoo to manda_sai_kz
From what I've heard, the Gila vandalism isn't what got them kicked out/shut down. "They" had already decided, and then the Gila incident happened on top of it all. Right?

Last edited by manda_sai_kz; 11-07-2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda_sai_kz View Post
From what I've heard, the Gila vandalism isn't what got them kicked out/shut down. "They" had already decided, and then the Gila incident happened on top of it all. Right?

Last edited by flirt5721; 09-29-2011 at 02:44 PM.