GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,346
2 members and 2,344 guests
TLLK

Old 11-02-2005, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

The New Electronic Cross & Crescent Magazine

Brothers,

The electronic version of the Cross & Crescent Magazine was launched this morning! This new magazine will replace the old printed C&C for at least a year. The magazine will be published monthly with 16 pages of content. The magazine will be available in PDF format for those of us who prefer a paper copy.

I have a short article about Theta Kappa Nu in this issue. I hope you like it! Feedback is important and is sought by the C&C staff. Please be kind....

IHQ will be sending a postcard to the 115,000 Lambda Chis who received the old paper version of the C&C.

In case you are interested, here is the website address:

www.crossandcrescent.com

Yours in ZAX,

Mike Raymond, ZUZ
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-02-2005, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Speaking as an old...well, middle-aged fart, I need some guidance. The idea of "blogs" is something I have yet to wrap my arms around for a variety of reasons.

I'm reluctant to put my thoughts/opinions/semi-cogent commentary online in that specific forum because I've heard of instances where legal action has been taken against a blogger. In effect, you're being criticized for having an opinion that may not go w/the prevailing thoughts of the majority.

Admittedly, there's not a lot of difference between keying in something for the 'Chop Blog and what I've spewed here, but I'm still reluctant to get involved as a blogger. Any thoughts, gentlemen?

In ZAX,
BF

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 11-02-2005, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

While I realize that there are Cost Cuttings needed at IHQ, I am sad to see the Printed version of C & C go by the wayside no matter for how long.

Since it is going to be done now, there is no use crying over spilt milk. Time will be the proof of the pudding so to speak.

Blogging, Boz, I am with You! From what I have seen on GC, some of the Bloggers get a lot of crap and I dont need any part of that.

Like You, I dont even know if I would know how to do it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-02-2005, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EM1843
I hate to see the print version go. I however do support an online version. It is how I get my news now anyways. I also like that submissions are now easier.

Hopefully this will lead to more content being published.

I deffinately think the 250,000 could be spent much more effectively.

I would support a "subscription" to the C&C for something like $20 per year however. Only brothers who want the "paper" magizine would have to spend the money. The rest can read it online basically for free.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Matt, it was starting to be set up that way. If a address came back, then it was cut from the mailing list.

There was also the thought about charging non donating Members. It does Cost a lot of money to produce the type of C & C that We were getting. I tried over the years to let My Zeta Brothers know how to let IHQ know of any changes of address and emails. It is very hard to get done. I know only to well as have been trying to find Brothers of My Zetas for Years now. When they dont send changes, I lose them.

Luckly, I got 4 from Homecomming this year! What is funny, is that they are so grateful. Now will wait and see if the give changes in the future.

It is a good idea of charging, but then I wonder of Brothers think it is worth it?

We have been told for Years that Becoming an Alum will cover the cost. Well, it doesnt does it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-02-2005, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Locked up Comptuer whne I tried it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-02-2005, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
I like it... it is something I would have liked to seen at my chapter as well.

I do agree that the online version will save $, but I do also understand how important a print version is as well - not only because some people are more comfortable with a hardcopy, but a print magazine is also a great recruiting or information tool to have even just lying around the chapter.

That being said I do have high hopes for the electronic version of the C&C - being more accessable might mean more contributions... but more importantly more communication by in effect providing a central touch point (well more that the Fraternity website) for all Brothers no matter where they are.

Keep up the go work, and here's hoping for a bigger and better C&C now (or at least one that I actually get )

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 11-02-2005, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I know I sent IHQ a story idea about my wedding. 4 of my 5 groomsman were brothers and most of my chapter was in attendance. I got a response of "we don't print personal interest stories" with no info on who to contact for an alumni info update. I would hope they would print more stories like this now with an e-newsletter.

I know I am interested in reading how brotherhood is experience in other chapters. I think it's a shame that IHQ decided the stories of brothers just aren't important enough...
Old 11-02-2005, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally posted by EM1843
I know I sent IHQ a story idea about my wedding. 4 of my 5 groomsman were brothers and most of my chapter was in attendance. I got a response of "we don't print personal interest stories" with no info on who to contact for an alumni info update. I would hope they would print more stories like this now with an e-newsletter.

I know I am interested in reading how brotherhood is experience in other chapters. I think it's a shame that IHQ decided the stories of brothers just aren't important enough...
See I can sorta understand why they shy away from "personal interest" pieces - simply put those should be the realm of chapter newsletters. However a large chapter event, even if it is a "personal interest" story should make it in as a piece because of it's scale.

In the case of the wedding I could easily see it included under the chapter/alumni news section, but not really as a main story item - unless of course you married someone famous or drawing on your interest in brotherhood included the wedding as a part of a larger picture focusing on brotherhood within your chapter...

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 11-02-2005, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I Think I'm With You On This One Right Now!

Quote:
Originally posted by boz130
Speaking as an old...well, middle-aged fart, I need some guidance. The idea of "blogs" is something I have yet to wrap my arms around for a variety of reasons.

I'm reluctant to put my thoughts/opinions/semi-cogent commentary online in that specific forum because I've heard of instances where legal action has been taken against a blogger. In effect, you're being criticized for having an opinion that may not go w/the prevailing thoughts of the majority.

Admittedly, there's not a lot of difference between keying in something for the 'Chop Blog and what I've spewed here, but I'm still reluctant to get involved as a blogger. Any thoughts, gentlemen?

In ZAX,
BF
Brother Bill,

I think that I will give "blogging" on our Official Site a little more time before I jump in, too! I do like the "Chop Blog" concept though....

I try not to get too far out there with my comments as it is now on this site.

Since it is an "Official" Lambda Chi Alpha site we should expect IHQ to be "sensitive" to what is posted there.

If I was a "Mod" of this site, I would also be "sensitive" to what is posted here. Personal comments and "Official" comments get blurred together by "outsiders" sometimes. I really don't want anybody to confuse my comments or, God forbid, Earp's comments with "Official" Lambda Chi positions!

Sorry Tom, I hope you understand where I am coming from on this one! I couldn't resist the temptation.

Right now, "Semi-cogent" best describes my thinking....

So, I will close.

Yours in ZAX,

Mike Raymond,
Zeta-Upsilon Zeta

Last edited by docroc67; 11-02-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't have suggest that they make a full page article describing every portion of my wedding. However, they have requested articles decribing how you have experienced brotherhood. I can't think of many more brotherly experiences than talking to someone about who they are going to marry. Actually two of the people who first knew I was going to ask my wife were GH Phi Doc Smith and former COO Kipp. I simply wanted to opportunity to write the story to see if it would be worthy of being printed. I think they should welcome stories of brothers and print those they feel "fit" within the framework of the C&C.

Also I was never given any contact info for "alumni news" portions of the C&C which bothered me as well. I guess I just don't donate enough to be given such information, even though I have donated every year I was an undergrad and was in the Mason Circle.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:59 AM
GreekChat Member

My God, are we that f-ing broke?

Whats next, garage sales on Founders Road to pay the Electric Bill? ELC's doing bake sales to get to the next campus?

Sure, there's something to be said for cost cutting... but there's also something to be said for credibility. We're an inter/national org. We need to look and dress the part.

I'll eat my hat if we see it return to a print edition....ever.

BTW, will I get a refund of my unused subscription? See, when I was an AM in 1992, Kevin O'Neil himself explained to me that part of our initiation fees paid for our lifetime subscription. So that leaves us with a few outcomes;

1) Kevin O'Neil lied to me as an AM.
2) Much like the social security system, they never put enough into the system and cant afford to print it anymore.
3) There never really was a 'c&c trust fund' established and just printed it out of the general budget...

And what becomes of the savings generated? Will it just be another stop-gap measure? What gets cut next? What is there to cut? I really cant wait till July and GA to see what the latest financial data looks like....

While I am sure the content is *fabulous*, I'm sorry Mike if I dont share in your excitement.

Last edited by lifesaver; 11-03-2005 at 03:04 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I would like to see IHQ go to a mixed media format. Print the C&C quarterly, but update the C&C website more often. I agree there is something to be said for a printed magazine.

***edit*** and I have no doubt many of us were lied to about what our membership dues to IHQ went to...Perhaps the $250,000 could go to figureing out our financial situation.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, I Prefer a Paper Magazine

I try to be as supportive of IHQ as I can be. This does not mean that I agree with every decision made by them. I understand that we are in very serious financial condition because our funds were not properly managed in the immediate past. I also know that steps were taken by the GHZ to correct the problem. They took direct control and made many significant decisions. Leadership has changed, employees laid off, the C&C changed to the electronic version, and the current staff has been given more duties to perform than in the past.

Long term the problem will be solved by increased recruitment and Alumni donations. But both sources of revenue are problematic and probably will not secure a speedy recovery. I doubt if anyone really likes to see all of these cutbacks and changes.

I am a collector and a big part of my collection is paper based. I love books and magazines. I want to see a new edition of our history book and a return of the C&C to its traditional format. I agree that our fraternity will be judged, in part, by its publications. I receive about 20 fraternity/sorority magazines and enjoy reading them. Most are well done. I know that the C&C has a wonderful history and is a benchmark in the world of fraternity publications. I will use whatever "influence" I have to build a case for an early return to the paper C&C!

As to the "life time" subscription issue. The electronic C&C staff anticipated that that this would be an issue and they have posted information about this in the November C&C. You might have to "dig" abit, but I think you will find it. I also remember that an electronic format for the C&C was approved at the 50th GA.

Again, I am not the spokesman for IHQ. I do believe that tough decisions have been made that will help us recover financially. But I also know that we are in deep trouble and it will take time. Hopefully, we have reached bottom and can now start digging out of this financial crisis.

Yours in ZAX,

Mike Raymond
Zeta-Upsilon Zeta
Old 11-03-2005, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to john1082 Send a message via AIM to john1082 Send a message via MSN to john1082 Send a message via Yahoo to john1082
A quarter of a million dollars

That is really what we're looking at. What can that one quarter of a million dollars buy?

1. More chapter visits?
2. Keeping undergrad dues a bit more reasonable?
3. Expand HQ (it really needs it) with internally generated funds?
4. Retire some debt?

Yes, that paper copy was nice. I kept it in my office, but few visitors ever picked it up. The on-line version can be printed out as a PDF file if you want a paper copy to read. It is sad, but the bottom line (pun intended) here is the wise use of limited funds.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network