GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,530
0 members and 1,530 guests
No Members online

Old 07-16-2013, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Other GLOs mentioned in your founding?

I was thinking about the fact that the founding of Alpha Phi Omega in our pledge manual specifically mentions Sigma Alpha Epsilon (7 of our 14 founders of APO were Sigma Alpha Epsilon brothers) and was wondering in which other cases that one GLO would mention another GLO as part of their founding

The ones that I thought likely were
Delta Zeta - mention Dr. Benton's work with Phi Delta Theta
Zeta Phi Beta - mention the efforts of Phi Beta Sigma
Delta Sigma Theta - mention Alpha Kappa Alpha (I didn't say it was a friendly mention)
Gamma Sigma Sigma - would probably mention Alpha Phi Omega
Omega Phi Alpha - definitely would mention Alpha Phi Omega

Any others?
Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta - "Instead of joining the two-year-old Alpha Phi, Frances (E. Haven) asked three friends to assist her in organizing a new women's society. They south the advice and help . . . and members of two existing fraternities."
-" A Lifetime of Gamma Phi Beta" - 2012
Old 07-16-2013, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Chi was founded as a response to Phi Delta Phi dominating the politics of the Law School at Cornell.

Quote:
The school year of 1889-90 began with conversations of starting a new law fraternity, but, as school work increased, the idea was put off until the spring semester. Two incidents have been credited with providing the impetus for renewed interest in the founding of what was to become Delta Chi. One was the election of a Phi Delta Phi as the Law School Editor of the Cornell Daily Sun (the student newspaper) and the second was the election of the law school junior class president. in the case of the class presidency, Alphonse Derwin Stillman had done some campaigning for a student named Irving G. Hubbard and was unaware of any effort being made in anyone else's behalf. When the voting results were in, Charles Frenkel, a Phi Delta Phi, was declared the winner. That caused Stillman to start "asking around." It appears that what he found was a law school which was dominated by one small, closely knit group -- Phi Delta Phi.
http://deltachi.org/history/index.php
Old 07-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Banned

Beta Theta Pi was founded as a response to Alpha Delta Phi, Sigma Chi was founded as a response to Delta Kappa Epsilon.

Chi Omega was founded by women with direct help from a Kappa Sigma, as did the old Sigma Iota Chi have ties to Kappa Sigma.

Sigma Phi and Delta Phi were founded as a result of Kappa Alpha Society.

Is this what you mean?

BG
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeguy View Post
Sigma Chi was founded as a response to Delta Kappa Epsilon.
Sigma Chi was founded by 6 members of Delta Kappa Epsilon (plus one independent) after a dispute in the DKE chapter at Miami(OH) that could not be resolved. Not as a response to DKE.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Xi Delta was founded with the intention of becoming a chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma. When we decided to go it alone, we added gold to the Kappa colors of light and dark blue. Also, Sigma Nu was instrumental in helping Alpha Xi Delta establish itself. There's a super cute picture on Page 4 of The Quill.
http://www.alphaxidelta.org/clientup...lwin06full.pdf

And by the way, in a month or so, when we start getting the annual "I want to start my own sorority" threads, take heed: virtually every NPC sorority and NIC fraternity (and probably the NPHC as well) have another sorority or fraternity who helped. Bitter and alone is no way to start a successful sorority.

Last edited by DubaiSis; 07-16-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Alpha Xi Delta was founded with the intention of becoming a chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma. When we decided to go it alone, we added gold to the Kappa colors of light and dark blue. Also, Sigma Nu was instrumental in helping Alpha Xi Delta establish itself. There's a super cute picture on Page 4 of The Quill.
http://www.alphaxidelta.org/clientup...lwin06full.pdf.
I did not know this. Very cool.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Bitter and alone is no way to start a successful sorority.
This reminded me of the immortal words of Dean Wormer in Animal House: "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I did not know this. Very cool.
Until about 4 years ago, it was on their national website. AOII used to include a story in our history about KKG in our founding, too. When women were first admitted to Barnard, all women students were invited to join the Kappa chapter that soon formed. After a few years, the number of members had gotten so large that the chapter began restricting membership. When the 4 Founders of AOII matriculated, the story goes that all were given bids to Kappa but Stella George Stern. The other three refused their bids and a year later formed Alpha Omicron Pi. The story has disappeared from our founding history over the years with the emphasis being placed on the bond of friendship between the four women.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Alpha Theta was founded after Bettie Locke Hamilton was invited to wear the badge of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. She asked if this meant that she would be a fully initiated member of the fraternity. She was told "No." She refused the badge and became determined to establish the first Greek letter fraternity specifically for women. There is a special bond between Theta and Phi Gamma Delta because of this beginning.

In addition, Bettie Locke's father was a Beta Theta Pi. He helped her study and establish the foundations of Kappa Alpha Theta.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma alumna had a major hand in Omega Kappa Chi's founding.

Two of our founding mothers are alumna and when they went back to school to become nurses, they met and found the mutual connection. They wanted to give girls at the Community College the opportunity to pursue sorority membership as they had, and that started it all.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Delta Gamma was founded by three young women/girls (ages 14-17, I believe) at the Lewis School for Girls. There were no other GLOs involved in our founding.

HOWEVER, our survival and move out of the south most definitely has to do with another Greek. George Banta, a Phi Delta Theta, was initiated into Delta Gamma so he could expand the Fraternity to Indiana. He established a chapter in Indiana - the first women he initiated was Lillian Vawter, his fiancee'.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:10 AM
GreekChat Member

There were no men or other organizations involved in Pi Beta Phi's founding in 1867. The 12 young women wanted an organization like that of the men. They called the organization, I.C. Sorosis. Pi Beta Phi was the secret motto. By the fall of 1868, a second chapter had been formed at Iowa Wesleyan College and a third quickly followed. Although the name change officially took place in 1888, many chapters used the Greek letters prior to that. In fact, the first issue of the magazine, published in 1885, stated that the magazine was "an organ of Pi Beta Phi".

I am always interested to read what the other organization's history say about our history. I remember one that stated that it was founded as a literary society (which it wasn't). The last time I was in Monmouth, I did some searching in the school newspaper from the 1860s and 1870s. There was a column for the literary societies and I.C. was not in that column, but news about it did appear in the fraternity section.

I loved reading the article about the Alpha Xis and Sigma Nu that was linked to in a previous post. I chuckled when the chapter at Lombard was referred to as a local. The Pi Phi chapter at Lombard was our fifth chapter, founded in 1872. By the time Alpha Xi was founded in 1893, Pi Phi had established more than 30 chapters.

Some of the alumnae from the 1860s, 1870s and 1880s were quite upset when the organization changed its name. Luckily, since the Greek letters had been a part of our founding, there was no discussion as to what the name ought to be. However, there was a movement, albeit small, to have the nickname be "Beta Pi" instead of "Pi Phi."

Last edited by nyapbp; 07-17-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Beta Pi? That's interesting.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi Alpha mentions a lot of organizations in our history, it just depends on which document you're reading.

When it comes to the founding:

Our founders did their best to locate other black fraternities to join rather than founding their own (!) and they found one lead, Pi Gamma Omicron in Ohio. When they checked it out, they found out there was a mistake and either the org never really existed or had already dissolved.

We also mention the all white fraternities that several of the founders had been waiters to when they were undergraduates. While explicit *help* was not given (we didn't need any for what Alpha was destined to be), it has been said that they were generally supportive.