GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Sigma Sigma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,055
0 members and 2,055 guests
No Members online

Old 05-31-2006, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Summer Reading!

Well ladies... its quickly becoming the lazy days of summer and I look forward to SUMMER READING!

Now I figure we can suggest books to eachother... granted who really is going to read what I like (young adult literature), its the teacher in me!

My suggestions:

Uglies - Scott Westerfield
This is actually a trilogy. Uglies, Pretties, Specials. If you like sci-fi, but not really like SPACEMEN or ROCKETS or ALIENS, you might like it. Its a somewhat futuristic society where at the age of 16 everyone undergoes an opperation to make them 'pretty'. They get symmetrical features, their height/weight is fixed, they get good teeth, big eyes. They move to a new town where they party all day... it all sounds great. BUT you need to read it...

It Girl - Cecily von Ziegersar
This is a spin off of the Gossip Girl series, I will mention that later. The story is light reading. You really dont think much... It reminds me of watching some sort of teenage drama, or living it in college!The characters are all at some ritzy boarding school. There is A LOT of name dropping - as in brand names. "She wore her new Manolo Blahniks... and had her iPod turned up..." it gets a little annoying... Its becoming a series - the second book is called Notorious.

All American Girl - Meg Cabot
Yes, she wrote the Princess Diaries. This series is really good. It is about an ordinary girl who ends up saving the president and all of the good and bad things that come after. There is a second book called Ready or Not. If you weren't a fan of the Princess Diaries, you still might like these books - they're a bit different - not as goody-goody.

Gossip Girl - Cecily von Ziegersar
Eh. They're okay. I like the It Girl books more than this - the series it spun off of. I have the first two. The name dropping isnt as bad in these - well maybe Im good at ignoring it now. These follow some girls and guys that go to two single sex ritzy private schools in NYC. Good, cheap, light reading. I feel that with all of the name dropping that these books will need to be updated if they are to become good books for all generations ('Mooooom, this book mentions IPODS! Thats sooooo 2006!') Other titles: You Know You Love Me, All I Want Is Everything, Because Im Worth It, I Like It Like That, You're The One That I Want, Nobody Does It Better, Nothing Can Keep Us Together

The City of Ember - Jeanne DuPrau
This is what Im reading now. Its another 'futuristic/paralell' society book. Its good so far... more later!
Old 06-02-2006, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Summer Reading!

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelPhiSig
Well ladies... its quickly becoming the lazy days of summer and I look forward to SUMMER READING!

Now I figure we can suggest books to eachother... granted who really is going to read what I like (young adult literature), its the teacher in me!
Well that's just silly - there are tons of adults out there that read YA!!!

I can't plan in advance. I did actually manage to read 3 books in May - which is actually a lot. I don't read much at all despite my bookworm reputation.

A recent discovery:
Continuity Girl by Leah McLaren - chic lit, but not too "flaky". It'a about a mid thirties woman who despite being single, knows she wants to have a child and so becomes a "sperm bandit" of sorts - looking for a guy that would be a suitable, but unsuspecting, "donor".

That's it for current recommendations. Gosh, I must eb teh world's worst librarian!
Old 06-02-2006, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
If you liked the Davinci Code book then you might want to check out The Templar Legacy by Steven Berry. It's along the same lines.

Also, I really enjoy books by James Rollins. My favorites are probably Map of Bones and Sandstorm. Least favorite by him is Ice Hunt. His books are sort of science fiction/fantasy type fiction.

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 06-24-2006, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
I just finished "Size 12 is not Fat" by Meg Cabot. It was cute chick lit with a built in mystery. I love Meg Cabot's adult books -- she's so funny!
Old 06-25-2006, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisigduchesscv
If you liked the Davinci Code book then you might want to check out The Templar Legacy by Steven Berry. It's along the same lines.

Also, I really enjoy books by James Rollins. My favorites are probably Map of Bones and Sandstorm. Least favorite by him is Ice Hunt. His books are sort of science fiction/fantasy type fiction.

I just found out that James Rollins has a new hardcover coming out on Tuesday. YEA!!!!!!! I know where I am going to be on Tuesday night after work - the bookstore.

I think I'll pick up some romance books at the same time. I need some really light reading. Any new suggestions?

Carolyn

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 07-18-2006, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I just finished reading Little White Lies by Gemma Townley and it was really good. I would recommend you reading it.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jaade124
omg! i loveee to read and i read book after book after book in the summer because i can't read much for leisure during the school year. jodi picoult is by far one of my ultimate favorite authors. her books are amazing and powerful and they make you go "wow" in the end. her books are real page turners...all of her books that i've read have been amazing but among my favorites are:

my sister's keeper
second glance
plain truth
salem falls

they are kinda big/long but trust me you read them so fast! some are kinda sad tho but still very good!

Epsilon Kappa Alumni
Aim High, Do or Die!