GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,589
3 members and 2,586 guests
JayhawkAOII, Phrozen Sands, Titchou

Old 08-23-2005, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Question The question no one asks....

So as a new member, I have noticed a trend in my city council, which I fear is a national situation. the age of the chapters is steadily increasing. Is this a situation you are noticing? If so, what are your chapters and city councils doing to attract younger new members to the sorority? What are some of the potential reasons that younger women are not joining BSP? What can we do to attract younger members?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2005, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

International's refusal to update our current media might have something to do with the lack of younger members. I pray that the website will be updated soon. It is such a powerful recruitment tool! I encourage all members to bring a friend/daughter/niece/granddaughter/you get the drift to a meeting and show them what Beta's all about!!! It is almost rush season!!
Old 08-23-2005, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
I have been in contact with Jan from HQ and she is doing an article on our chapter, I do think that the chapters in BSP are increasing in age faster than we can get younger women interested. BSP needs to create a program/recruitment tool that can help hook younger women, just outta college - need a way to stay active (especially sorority women who dont ahve an alumnae association in the area) We need to increase RoJ chapters on community college campuses and commuter campuses.

I know my chapter is going to list ways of making BSP more appealing to younger women, please list YOUR thoughts so I can take them to Jan when she asks!

The website, however is not a problem to Intl. I emailed a while ago because my bf is a webdesigner and he said he would work on one for them. They see nothing wrong with it and like the current design and they said it was 'recently updated'.

ugh.

My frustration is the binder that is given to chapters. Its full of HANDOUTS. Its not organized. Its trifold brochures with hole punches through words. Its outdated and it frustrates me to no end. The big thing is it says it has some IMPORTANT information in it, and its not listed...

UGHGHGUHGUHGU!
Old 08-24-2005, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
The lack of younger members has been frustrating the last 2 yrs. We have (1) 20-30's ROJ chapter in our CC.

I wish Int'l had an updated website & could afford the tech to get updated interest lists to chapters wanting to rush.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

We have tons of commuter, CC, and vo-tech schools in Houston that would be great for getting some younger girls! What a great idea!
Old 08-25-2005, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

In the August Torch, there is a survey that wants to know the opinions of members on what Int'l can do to increase membership, what should be done with the website, etc.

I STRONGLY encourage every member to fill it out!!! Let them know what needs to be changed. Hopefully they'll listen if many sisters complain about the same thing.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OkieRose Send a message via Yahoo to OkieRose
The worst thing is that not everything is in a condensed place.

To get forms, you have to go to the Beta Joural Site. For information you have to go to the Strawberry Patch site. Even then, you have to really know what you are looking for to find it. In additional, national's website really isn't that informative and doesn't put you in touch with someone in "real time" to find out more about the organization. It really reminds me of a place holder site.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelPhiSig

The website, however is not a problem to Intl. I emailed a while ago because my bf is a webdesigner and he said he would work on one for them. They see nothing wrong with it and like the current design and they said it was 'recently updated'.

ugh.

OMG! How can they say that?!? They still have a link to the 2000-01 theme art!!! And the **UPDATED OFTEN: member news and information**? They've GOT to be kidding!

Younger women don't join Beta because
1. There isn't a lot of info out there on who we are/ what we do/ etc.
2. Some chapters are VERY stuck in their ways.
3. There isn't a very solid "recruitment" system. Just sending your name and info out to CC is NOT always going to get a woman into a chapter. Some chapters won't even contact the women on the lists.

This just makes me angry.

HQ needs to get their act together. Update the website. Make it user friendly and INFORMATIVE! Put a listing of EVERY chapter on the site and CURRENT contact info for each chapter.

And a question: why is the Beta info separated into 2 websites (National site and Beta Journal)? This is confusing and frustrating. Put everything on ONE site to make it easier for prospective and current members trying to access info.

/rant

Nicole
Old 08-31-2005, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JudyK
Hi Nicole,
Your post sounds so much like what I say or have been saying for awhile now! Each point is valid! I hope you and the other younger BSP's who post to this site will e-mail or snail mail International and let them know why BSP is not gaining new and younger members! Keep sending them these valid points until they listen----sometimes it seems they don't listen and make changes until they have been "hammered" with mail and suggestions for quite awhile!
You are so correct that sending out your name to CC or to a chapter doesn't mean that this person is even contacted!! International seems to just add these names to their list of 8,000 or so women seeking BSP and doesn't really do anything about getting them into a chapter. Most times, International says start your own chapter---but we all know that doesn't work. International stops there and a lot of young women are left out!! This is very sad!

Many sisters who regularly use computers and visit the BSP bulletin board are appalled that member news has not been updated in quite awhile!! Members got pretty ugly with posts on the bulletin board then to get International to update!! Sometimes I feel that members have abandoned the BSP site in favor of the Beta Journal because it is kept current. The Beta Journal is designed and maintained by Karen Ing, a sister in Texas. The Beta Journal is aided by donations to Karen to keep it going. I may be wrong---but don't believe that International contributes to the Beta Journal! Because the Beta Journal site is so good, I believe that International is able to let the BSP site "go"!! I don't think anyone at International has the expertise that Karen has to work on the site!

I don't post very much here, although I occasionally read posts. I'm an "oldster" who very much admires you younger members who are willing to present these suggestions to International! BSP's reluctance to update and/or change any of the rules since the inception of BSP, their non recruitment of younger members and their unwillingness to leave their office to help younger chapters get started (many years ago, International sent out a representative to help with rush and to perform the pledge ritual! You have to be pretty old to remember this!) will contribute to BSP's demise in many cities! Very sad!

Thanks for letting me post my 2 cents!
JudyK
MAL
Old 08-31-2005, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Judy,

I wish International would update, I did ask them if they would be interested in my boyfriend re-vamping the site and making it more user friendly - they said that the site was updated often and it was fine.

ugh.
Alison
Old 09-09-2005, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I would really like to join if the ages were a bit younger. My mom was a BSP, and I would really like to be a part of it. However, I am in my mid twenties and the age range for the chapters near me is around 40.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

What you should do is start a chapter.

I did, twice.

There are NO other young chapters here... if we want BSP to continue to grow... we need young chapters.

I suggest to gather 6 friends - 7 is the magic # with international - also talk to the older chapters in the area about helping (something I didnt have) they may want to seeing that they will get a four star rating and other bonuses from helping.

If they are unwilling to help, GC women will help whenever they are needed... we are really nice here.

Please think of starting a chapter, its great.

PM me or reply if you need any other info!

Thanks
Alison
Old 09-11-2005, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone who is interested in joining BSP, I "discovered" the website while surfing the web one day and became interested in the organization. However, I found it a little difficult to maneuver and obtain information from. I would like to see more information on how to become a member on the website. I would also like to suggest that someone post a current list of ALL chapters, not just ones with websites. I found this misleading when I was trying to determine if there was a chapter close tome and have since learned with the help of some (hopefully) future sisters that there are land chapters where I live. And, I'm still waiting for headquarters or someone to contact me about pledging.........sigh....
Old 09-22-2005, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to XiLambdaMO Send a message via Yahoo to XiLambdaMO
Wink Aging Betas

I think that plenty of younger women are joining Beta Sigma Phi, but I believe that the time and effort that goes into serving on City Council is something that some of the older members just have more of.

Younger Sisters are so very busy with their chapters and their families that finding time to "sign up" for one more item that will cause them more work just isn't right for them at this time.

I know that as younger members serve as Council Reps, our Council Board gives the younger ones ample opportunity to serve on the Board if they wish. It's not that there aren't younger "sisters" out there, it's just that the older ones usually have a little more free time to devote to Council and Sorority in general.

That's my take on the siutation anyway.

Lynn
Old 09-22-2005, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to XiLambdaMO Send a message via Yahoo to XiLambdaMO
I agree with everything you list here! Their website does LACK greatly and could use a real re-vamping. In their defense, however, I believe that unfortunately it isn't a high priority for International. It's up to us; the individual Chapters and City Councils to "pass the torch", not International. If you don't get the support you need from International, go to other Chapters...not only in your area, but surrounding areas as well. I really don't know ONE BSP that would not be happy to give you advice and suggestions.

Good luck,
Lynn

Quote:
Originally posted by JudyK
Hi Nicole,
Your post sounds so much like what I say or have been saying for awhile now! Each point is valid! I hope you and the other younger BSP's who post to this site will e-mail or snail mail International and let them know why BSP is not gaining new and younger members! Keep sending them these valid points until they listen----sometimes it seems they don't listen and make changes until they have been "hammered" with mail and suggestions for quite awhile!
You are so correct that sending out your name to CC or to a chapter doesn't mean that this person is even contacted!! International seems to just add these names to their list of 8,000 or so women seeking BSP and doesn't really do anything about getting them into a chapter. Most times, International says start your own chapter---but we all know that doesn't work. International stops there and a lot of young women are left out!! This is very sad!

Many sisters who regularly use computers and visit the BSP bulletin board are appalled that member news has not been updated in quite awhile!! Members got pretty ugly with posts on the bulletin board then to get International to update!! Sometimes I feel that members have abandoned the BSP site in favor of the Beta Journal because it is kept current. The Beta Journal is designed and maintained by Karen Ing, a sister in Texas. The Beta Journal is aided by donations to Karen to keep it going. I may be wrong---but don't believe that International contributes to the Beta Journal! Because the Beta Journal site is so good, I believe that International is able to let the BSP site "go"!! I don't think anyone at International has the expertise that Karen has to work on the site!

I don't post very much here, although I occasionally read posts. I'm an "oldster" who very much admires you younger members who are willing to present these suggestions to International! BSP's reluctance to update and/or change any of the rules since the inception of BSP, their non recruitment of younger members and their unwillingness to leave their office to help younger chapters get started (many years ago, International sent out a representative to help with rush and to perform the pledge ritual! You have to be pretty old to remember this!) will contribute to BSP's demise in many cities! Very sad!

Thanks for letting me post my 2 cents!
JudyK
MAL