GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,442
2 members and 2,440 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-02-2003, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

The unfortunate thing with this program, is that it was not long enough for us Greeks and while did show Greeks in a better light than most, it did have some draw backs.

Brother Jono and I talked about it right after it was over. He did not care for the flash backs as much as I did as the only problem to me, it semi glossed over the past of Greeks and just gave a thumb nail sketch.

The showing of a patial hand shake was , well.

Even though it showed nothing really, LXA Clasp right hand to right hand!

I thought M M told a great story of what it ment to a young man who feels that it still means something to him.

K C well, once again, he is K C (Wyatt Earp). Did not think he needed to promote, I dont drink much and ended up face down!??

The part of drinking and hazing was not totally blown out of propotion as it usually is!

The idea of coming from a Greek Org. and being well recepted in the real world of big time, probably more true than not. Why, well, Greeks are better trained in social skill, have better grades, learn to run a psuedo business as a Member and an Officer.

That is why they are chosen over others not just a name.

The Room thing would have a Chapter of LXA sanctioned right now, along with making them do painting, and other chores.

I found it very intersing with the Foos family that the young man was torn between his very strong legacy and looking to another Fraternity such as JMOM's son did.

Over all, I would like to resee this again, as we all usually miss part of any program.

It is funny that all of the houses that were shown, were not from U. Ms.

As far as the Soroity thing, it did gloss over it but at least did mention them. Needs to do a thing on Soroitys and NPHC Orgs.

The NPHC was somewhat glossed over but for the most part, the NPHC Groups came later No disrepsect is intended. It did show some quick clips that I find that encourageing for both.

On A 1-10 scale, I would give it an 8+

Informative, and not degrading.

While I too wondered why they dropped so many pledges does this not happen to all of us?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please forgive the Ramblings

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 09-02-2003 at 04:35 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-02-2003, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emb021
Well, there was a segement where they asked various Brothers what the fundamental principles of their fraternity were. Except for one (who quickly told it), the others couldn't remember. I thought that was sad.
I believe they asked about the motto of the fraternity, which I would think is even worse.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
<---Fully ready for the flaming that will probably occur after this...

I can see everyone's posts about what was missing from the show, how they wish this was added, and why wasn't this covered...BUT why aren't we really applauding the fact that for once someone got it pretty much right?

I was extremely happy to see that they noticed the difference between a secret soceity and a fraternity. They hit the main points on hazing, without making a HUGE issue out of it that would have overshadowed the entire program.

Maybe after seeing this program, National Panhellenic will see that the History Channel will do our organizations right in representing us.

But, as always..that is just my .02 cents. My father rather enjoyed the program! (He was in a fraternity in high school, while my mother is a Delta Gamma. I think you can guess where my heart is! )

[stepping off my soapbox, now]

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 09-02-2003, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
On a slightly tangent note: How smart of the history chanel to play the history of cleavage right after a show on Fraternity Men. I bet they retained a lot of people after "Frat Boys" ended.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

whitedaisy, if it was titled "Fraternity Men" who in the hell would watch but us?

Just like a hoosier post, gets attention!

I for one would like to see more on NPC and NPHC to help me and others see what it is like who have never seen it in the real life!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-02-2003, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteDaisy128
On a slightly tangent note: How smart of the history chanel to play the history of cleavage right after a show on Fraternity Men. I bet they retained a lot of people after "Frat Boys" ended.
I turned it off immediately. Now, if it had been on legs...

Just a couple of thoughts. No flames to anyone.

On some of the things "we" perceive were left out, while it may be possible to ask better questions, a good documentary won't put words into the mouths of those interviewed. It repeats what they said. So, if it wasn't discussed on tape, it won't make it into the program.

As for mottos, many are secret. And frankly, I only heard ours in Ritual. Not many alums have seen their Ritual in many years. It's not a surprize to me that they couldn't repeat it (assuming it wasn't secret). Remember that you undergrads are living the Greek life -- for alums it's not nearly as front and center as it is for you. As for the foundations upon which the organization was built and it's goals and aspirations, that's another matter. I'd like to think we can all remember those.

A word about sororities, and doing a show on them. Sorry, ladies, in contrast to the fraternities, you're boring. Just kidding of course, but think about it. It's the fraternities who have the reputation of hazing and wild parties and drinking and letchery. And, that's what sells. Not that there aren't hazing incidents in the sororities, but the preponderance is on the fraternity side.

And finally, I think that most of the comments about the show here have been constructive -- and I think that most of us have given the producers fairly high marks. No presentation like this one will be perfect and all encompasing, so critical comments will naturally follow. As will comment like mine with opinions on why and how some things did or didn't get done.

All in all, a very strong effort by The History Channel -- I suspected it would be. There's a vast distance, editorially speaking, between them and MTV.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MysticCat81
Question: Is the Phi Delt pledging ceremony open? I know that the pledging ceremonies of some fraternities (like Lambda Chi) are, but I was still a little surprised they showed part of it.
Most pledging ceremonies are not secret. It is left to the discretion of the chapter on who gets invited to watch the ceremonies; usually parents of pledges, advisors and others who are close to the chapter.

Even DU, who does not have a secret initiation ceremony, considers their ritual 'a private affair'.

My fraternity's pledging ceremony does not convey any of the secret work of Alpha Sigma Phi. Prior to beginning the pledging ceremonies certain questions are asked the candidate individually in private and away from the room where the ceremony takes place. Candidates are asked the usual questions whether they belong to another fraternity or an anti-fraternity organization, etc.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 09-02-2003, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

DeltaAlum, this is the first time and hopefully the Last I call You a Yutch!

Should have stuck with the Program! Some what inlightening but a little biased! Not much though, this is the semi - best PR we as Greeks have gotten in the longest of times!

To my knowledge, DTD is the only Open Ritual.

Mine has a lot of meaning and takes 10 days (?) LOL to go through it! NOT!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 09-02-2003 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:21 PM

Nope. Our ritual is secret. I think it's DU that is open.

(What's a yutch?)
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:25 PM

Delta Upsilon is the non-secret fraternity.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

The Phi Delt website has a wonderful section

The Phi Delt website has a wonderful section on pledges and pledge activities:

http://www.phideltatheta.org/

I'm not saying the Ole Miss chapter follows it exactly.

Old 09-02-2003, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

OOPs, sorry DeltaAlum, Had my Deltas mixed up!

It is _____!

My Bad!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-02-2003, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thought they did a good job, except I wish they would have mentioned the NIC fraternities that have opted to go dry. This might have given the public more info on how some fraternities have tried to remedy alcohol abuse.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
All in all, a very strong effort by The History Channel -- I suspected it would be. There's a vast distance, editorially speaking, between them and MTV.
Or FOX and that idiotic Undeclared, which had potential in the beginning, but totally screwed up, trying to out-do Animal House. It inspired my first letter to network writers.

The History Channel did a very good job and, coming from a small school myself, I was quite intrigued by the process at larger universities. And despite what Tom Earp said, I liked the historical aspects, just not the way it flashed back and forth so fast.

A few weeks ago my nephew told me about screenplay he's writing about a post-civil war soldier who goes out west...

I asked him, "Was he in a fraternity?" He look at me like a deer in headlights, and later that night I compiled a list of 20 or so fraternities that we quite prominent at that time and gave it to him.

Silly TKEs think that just because they're ten years older than LCA, that they started it all! Hehe. They weren't founded until 75 years after the Union Triad.

Jono
Old 09-03-2003, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedAngel Send a message via Yahoo to RedAngel
Re: something's missing

Quote:
Originally posted by enlightenment06
I, too, thought it was a fair and objective program. There should have been more information on NPHC fraternities though. We got just a little taste and that was it; more like a sidenote to greek life
I agree with you. It was nice to see some portions of the NIC process. The NPHC portion could've been longer but I'm glad they did not concentrate on hazing in that portion. Maybe they'll do something on the NPHC in the future especially in light of the fact that many of the older organizations are approaching their 100th year.