GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Xi Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto

Old 01-09-2004, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy ideas

Do ya'll have any great philanthropy ideas that worked? We are a small chapter (like 25) and we are trying to get some new philanthropy events going on. Any ideas?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

1. Stike out (and then put your philanthropy after that) and have a bowling tournment at Mid City Bowling Lanes.

2. Collect new shoes and donate them to an school parish in New Orleans that has needy children.

3. Have a Mardi Gras Party to raise money for your philanthropy. Sell King Cakes and Cokes at the student union. You could call it Mardi Gras for a Cause and then put your philanthropy in it somewhere.

4. Have a flag football tournement on those intramural fields by Ben Franklin and charge teams 50 bucks or something and donate the money from that.

Just a few ideas!

-Katherine
Old 01-10-2004, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I sure would also like ideas passed my way too!!!

~"SAMBEAR"~
Alpha Xi Delta
Old 01-10-2004, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an alum and our philanthropy wasn't very good when I was active, but the chapter has since come up with a carnival. I don't know all the specifics, but if you'd like to find them out, let me know and I can hook you up with some emails for the actives and you can ask them.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Combine your COB and philanthropy events. Have fun making things (cards, chalk boards, bookmarks, etc) at a informal setting such as a pizza party or dessert night and then your chapter and new member class can deliver them to the local children's hospital.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

We did something similar once for a recruitment event. When we switched to philanthropy night, we had all the PNMs make sock puppets. It was great! Then we delivered all of them to the children's hospital in town.

Another idea, and this one we did one year during our sister retreat, was to decorate brown paper bags, and fill them with candy and toys (the cheap ones, like birthday party favors - kids love that stuff!) and then delivered those to the hospital as well. Of course, you could do it during a sister retreat or make it part of your recruitment or COB night.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

We do an X-Box tournament... Basically we charge fraternity boys an entry fee (which goes to the charity) to play against each other, and our girls act as coaches for the teams, picking them up at game time and making posters, etc.... It's been pretty successful the past couple years.

Also, during Bid Week (right after recruitment), our new members and some older members go to a pre/elementary school to read to the kids. It's a fun way to "Choose Children" and get into the community.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
My chapter used to help sponser the local brownie and girl scout troups. We would let them hold their meetings at our house, would help them out during girl scout cookie time and it was actually a lot of fun for us. the girls were great and so much fun!

during exam time, we would also set up a table in our student union with coffee, sodas, snacks, pencils, erasers, ect., and what we earned from the other students was put towards the battered women and children's shelter.

lastly, we used to hold the Alpha bowl with AOTT, and we would have other school orgs participate in a round robin flag football tournament. the enterance proceeds then went to Duke Children's hospital.(however, this isn't done anymore because of "political reasons" but it was always really successful when we did hold it!)
Old 01-12-2004, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
1. Stike out (and then put your philanthropy after that) and have a bowling tournment at Mid City Bowling Lanes.
Hehehe...the idea's good but for AXiD we'd have to change the name.

"Strike out Children" isn't really the message we're going for.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaxigurl85
We have Faculty Night Out twice a month (one time a month for each Blue and Gold Team). We babysit faculty members' kids for a few hours, for free. It's a lot of fun and the kids never want to leave!