GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,344
5 members and 1,339 guests
aaidativanovoz6, JayhawkAOII, MSKKG

Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Junior transfer rushing at Washington State University

Hi Ladies (and Gents!)

I am a Washington state resident attending community college and graduating with my two year degree next Spring, I will be attending Washington State University in the Fall of 2008. Our state has a program that grants comm. college grads junior standing at all of our public universities, so I will have junior standing.

I am interested in joining a sorority. It looks like fun and I won't know anyone at college and I want to meet girls my age and new friends.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for WSU rush? What's it like, is it competitive? Do I have a chance as a junior transfer? I know that some schools are very very competitive but I am not a legacy and am a first-generation college student so I don't know much about going Greek.

Any tips, suggestions, etc. would be very helpful.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-09-2007, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I know nothing about Washington State, but I also transfered from a Junior college (within the university's system). It was more competitive but certainly not impossible. I would totally go for it if just to meet people. If you find a sorority home, then even better!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

WSU is not competitive, but for some chapters recs are important. Our campus is moving to no frills, so it's becoming more laid back. First round is Panhellenic and is spread over two days (visit all chapters), second round is house tours and is 10 parties, third round is philanthropy and 6 parties, and preference is 3 parties.

Juniors do regularly get bids, but there are probably some chapters who don't take jrs (or so I've heard!). My pledge class had a junior.

Check out our greek site: www.gogreek.wsu.edu its got a lot of good information on it.

WSU has 14 sororities, total (max number of members) is 90, and most of the chapters are around that 80-90 mark with a few going over 90 through formal.

Recruitment is the week before school starts (so we are back for work week right now).
Old 08-10-2007, 03:46 AM

Since she wouldn't be there till spring, do many chapters COB?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Since she wouldn't be there till spring, do many chapters COB?
She said she won't be here till Fall 2008.

But I wouldn't count on many chapters doing COB in the next year or two. It looks like a lot of chapters will reach total or over total this year through formal.

In the past, probably half the chapters have COB'd but the chapters that are larger and need only one or two spaces at semester to total don't advertise much because they obviously don't need to. I would say there are like 3 or 4 chapters that last year did a lot of COB, but as I said before I think this year will be different.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

SigKap - just a quick question to clarify your last response...does that mean that some of the larger sororities will only be taking one or two new girls this year through formal recruitment?

(Sorry about all the questions - I'm totally new to this!)
Old 08-10-2007, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUblondiE View Post
SigKap - just a quick question to clarify your last response...does that mean that some of the larger sororities will only be taking one or two new girls this year through formal recruitment?

(Sorry about all the questions - I'm totally new to this!)
No, during formal recruitment, every sorority is allowed to take the same number of women. This number is called quota. There are various methods for determining quota, but usually quota = #of PNMs ranking after preference / # of chapters.

Informal recruitment/COB is for chapters that are not at total, the maximum allowable chapter size as determined by the Campus Panhellenic. They may give bids until they reach total. If taking quota during formal recruitment does not put a chapter at total, a chapter may give more bids to reach total. A chapter may exceed total during formal recruitment, as every chapter is entitled to quota. A chapter may not exceed total during informal recruitment.

Last edited by violetpretty; 08-10-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I get it now! Thanks for the clarification!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:46 PM

I don't know where I got Spring from!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:13 AM
GreekChat Member

also Pan just raised quota to 98, more room for amazing women to join!
recruitment here at WSU is amazing, all the chapters are full of intelligent and lovely women who want more sisters!
keep us updated (haha i know, it's a while from now) on what happens!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsuTriDelt View Post
also Pan just raised quota to 98, more room for amazing women to join!
Don't you mean total was raised to 98?
Old 02-18-2008, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

haha yeah, my bad....it was late
but yes, total, not quota, sorry for the confusion :]