GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,155
3 members and 2,152 guests
JayhawkAOII, Xidelt

Old 03-09-2008, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

muslim and wanting to rush

hi everyone!! so I just tranferred into a university this spring semester and I am really interested in rushing in the fall 2008. I will be a junior but still have 3 years left due to my previous university and current university having a clash on degree requirements. I am very active in my university in political, academic and community service organizations and back at home i am active in events and community projects that go on such as helping with debutante balls , working with migrant farm workers etc. I am really scared that if i go through rush that the fact that i wear hijab may make girls not want to get to know me or something. I watched many of my classmates and friends go through rush and COB this year and they all think i should do it . even the president of our country clubs social chair said she would write me a req. if i needed( shes non greek but her daughter is a delta gamma) so i was just curious as to what other people who are part of NPC thought or if they had any advice for me.

thanks in advance
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-09-2008, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

It will entirely depend on the campus that you attend. Many chapters on less-conservative campuses wouldn't think twice about your beliefs or your wearing hijab. You might have a tougher time at a competitive school, such as those in the SEC. I would say if you are attending school in the Northeast, it won't make a difference.

If you do wear hijab through recruitment, I would recommend wearing one that is memorable instead of one that is white (if your beliefs allow). I remember the first time that I saw Benazir Bhutto wearing hijab made from a Hermes scarf. I wanted to wear one too. I thought she looked so chic and elegant.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
It will entirely depend on the campus that you attend. Many chapters on less-conservative campuses wouldn't think twice about your beliefs or your wearing hijab. You might have a tougher time at a competitive school, such as those in the SEC. I would say if you are attending school in the Northeast, it won't make a difference.

If you do wear hijab through recruitment, I would recommend wearing one that is memorable instead of one that is white (if your beliefs allow). I remember the first time that I saw Benazir Bhutto wearing hijab made from a Hermes scarf. I wanted to wear one too. I thought she looked so chic and elegant.
thanks for the reply! i wont name my school but i will say i attend university in the state of texas. and thanks for the tip most of my scarfs are really colorful . hehe i wanted the Hermes one too when i saw it lol. how do i know if my school is competitive or not? is there a way to find out without giving away my school?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

just wanted to point out that the country club social chair cannot write you a recommendation unless she is a sorority member. i am not familiar with delta gamma's rules, but perhaps her daughter can write one for you-some sororities allow their collegiate members to do so. only initiated members of sororities may write a recommendation to their sorority. they may not write a recommendation to another sorority.

also wanted to point out that many of the npc sororities were founded on christian principles, a few are nonsecterian and a few on jewish principles. i don't know if that would conflict with or compromise your beliefs.

all 26 of the npc sororities have national websites. you might want to check out the websites of the ones on your campus to learn a little more about what beliefs they were founded on.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:38 PM

As far as your state goes, UT-Austin is an example of a competitive recruitment. There are high numbers (I think there were like 800 or more) of girls participating (99% of them are freshmen), with most girls having recs for all sororities, high GPAs, and tons of extracurricular activities.

I've heard that SMU and A&M are also pretty competitive. I'm not sure about others since I'm not from there. There are some Texan GCers who know alot more about Texas recruitments than I do.

I'd read as much of this thread in the sorority recruitment forum as you can, it has some great\ info in it to get you started:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-09-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that AT MY SCHOOL, that would not affect you at all [honestly, I couldn't even see it being brought up, except as a reference]. I suppose it really just depends on the campus. But what do you have to lose by trying?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

There are also some threads started by KiteMom that posts Panhellenic information sessions in Texas. KSU Violet is correct about SMU.
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=93030
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=93223
Old 03-09-2008, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

If you have friends who are Greek encouraging you to go through, then it would probably not be an issue. I know that at my school (in Washington state) it would not affect you negatively.

I believe in friendships formed at the spring time of my youth...

Phi Alpha Delta
Old 03-09-2008, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
As far as your state goes, UT-Austin is an example of a competitive recruitment. There are high numbers (I think there were like 800 or more) of girls participating (99% of them are freshmen), with most girls having recs for all sororities, high GPAs, and tons of extracurricular activities.

I've heard that SMU and A&M are also pretty competitive. I'm not sure about others since I'm not from there. There are some Texan GCers who know alot more about Texas recruitments than I do.
Don't forget Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech. All have competitive recruitments as well.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I know you said you were interested in NPC, but I have never seen any Muslim women in those organizations, but you could pave the way for others. I know every NPHC has muslims and I have seen several wearing hijab at events.

ΚΔΠ Education Honor Society
Old 03-09-2008, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I don't know what school you're at, I just have to ask if it's a party school. The reason I'm asking is because I have several Muslim friends and know from them that drinking goes against your religious beliefs. If you're at a party school, it's definitely something to consider, because would you be happy being in a social scene which is surrounded by something you can't partake in? Of course, if your school isn't a party school and there is more to social life there aside from drinking, then I say go for it.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educatingblue View Post
I know you said you were interested in NPC, but I have never seen any Muslim women in those organizations, but you could pave the way for others. I know every NPHC has muslims and I have seen several wearing hijab at events.
I dont personally know of any in NPC either. alot of my family is NPHC so i have occasionally seen muslims in those orgs. as well as Latino greek organizations. Growing up being the only black muslim (im actually dark- skinned latina) in my private school, horseback riding lessons, etc. i am used to it.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
just wanted to point out that the country club social chair cannot write you a recommendation unless she is a sorority member. i am not familiar with delta gamma's rules, but perhaps her daughter can write one for you-some sororities allow their collegiate members to do so.
Delta Gamma does allow this, so definitely ask her to put you in contact with her daughter if you're interested in getting a recommendation from her!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
Since I don't know what school you're at, I just have to ask if it's a party school. The reason I'm asking is because I have several Muslim friends and know from them that drinking goes against your religious beliefs. If you're at a party school, it's definitely something to consider, because would you be happy being in a social scene which is surrounded by something you can't partake in? Of course, if your school isn't a party school and there is more to social life there aside from drinking, then I say go for it.
i definetly dont think our school is a party school lol. but yes you are correct we dont drink or party and i am ok with that. if i was not comfortable being in a social scene that is surrounded by something i couldn't partake in i wouldnt even come to college in the first place lol. i feel like socially if i am involved within my chapter in the many other events they provide other than parties and drinking i can definetly be happy... and hey at least they know they will have a designated driver lol
Old 03-09-2008, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandGinterest View Post
hey at least they know they will have a designated driver lol
That's cute.

I don't have much to add since I'm very far from Texas. I just want to wish you well.

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 03-09-2008 at 09:48 PM.